Miss Vegas flex shaft

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlyinFinn

How do you get the flex shaft out? It seems stuck. There was no "3mm or 1/8" gap (factory installed) "between the drive dog and the stuffing box" as the instructions say when you install it back in. It looks like the collect has pinched the reciever in the flywheel bolt down so much that it is stuck. Any ideas?

Overall I like this boat. Easy to start, looks great, good quality construction. Still working on performance and prop height setting and I have only ran four tanks of fuel through it and I need to by a metal prop. In my opinion the weaknesses are as follows:

Too cheap of hose used for the water and fuel lines. I had to replace the hose that taps into the tuned pipe nipple at the nipple where it broke twice (probably from heat and vibration), which can result in a lean conition as this hose pressurizes the fuel tank.

Inadequate tuned pipe to header coupler. It appears as though there is some cracking developing here in the silicone coupler. Inadequate (cheap zip-ties) used for clamping the coupler to the header and tuned pipe. Mine melted off twice. I think they vibrate loose. I am going to use bigger zip-ties ( as has been suggested). This is an important area to keep sealed for a couple of reasons. One, if the coupler fails you have an exhaust leak into the inside of the boat (has not happened yet, but it could be a real mess). Two, if the coupler fails you could loose tank pressure which helps to supply adequate fuel to motor. Without it, the engine could go lean. Ka-POW!

Inadequate cooling from the turn fin through the cheap hose and into the water cooling head. This is important, since the enclsoed cowl traps alot of heat. I am going to try and install a water pick-up behind the prop like my OS Outboard has. This has been suggested by someone else on this board.

Don't get me wrong, I think this is a great boat package for the money. Just thought I would offer up some suggestions for improvement. Guess this is why they call RC Boating a hobby. Everyone has an opinion of what could be done to improve performance and realiability.

Now, any suggestions on getting the flex shaft out?

The first time I pulled the shaft I had to remove the collet. There was a bit of extra solder that kept the shaft stuck inside the insert.

As far as cooling goes, cut out the back end of the turbine and then hack away some of the foam. This will provide improved air flow through the engine compartment. I did this before I ever ran the boat and I've found no need to add an extra water pickup.

Like Chuck said, get the collet loose and then pull as hard as necessary to remove the flex shaft.
JD
The collet is loose. Pulled so hard I broke the plastic prop and put a small cut on my finger! Maybe it is some solder, but geesh! Tried pulling in the remainder of the prop with small pliers after that. No luck!

P.S. I have the newer version with the steel collet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try turning the flex cable at the same time your pulling on it, ensure you turn in the proper direction not to unwind the cable.

Mine was extremely hard aswell and that was the only way it came out.

Dan.

Try turning the flex cable at the same time your pulling on it, ensure you turn in the proper direction not to unwind the cable.
Mine was extremely hard aswell and that was the only way it came out.

Dan.
Yep! Got it tonight! Thanks Dan. I had to grab onto the broken prop and prop nut with a pair of needle nose pliers (I'd recommend a suitable bushing or a T-bar attached on the prop end next time) as well as putting a wrench on the collet and turn in the direction of prop rotation. I had to pull really hard while I turned, but it came out. When I had it out I took the motor out and took the flywheel part of the collet off the flywheel and I used the piece of rod for the flywheel and tapped it back down into the collet to spread the collet ears for re-assembly. I think the collet was tightened to hard as it seemed to be really smashed down and would not return to shape without my reforming it. There you have it. Thanks again!

Back