Left the transmitter on, LIPO won't take charge

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Brandt

Vendor
Reedy 2500 7.4 for the M11X.

Battery drained down because transmitter was left on. My Hyperion charger just says battery voltage too low so it will not take charge. I thought it was gonna revive when I tried as a 1S because it appeared to charge for a bit but still stopped at about 4 volts. When I tried again as a 2S the charger said same thing.

Any ideas before I pitch it?

Thanks,

Bill

Pitch it. The worst thig you can do is over discharge a Lipo or A123 pack. Kills them dead. Changes the internal chemistry and then they become volitille.

Hi Bill I love LiFe hyerion 3S/ 9.9 V flat 1600mAh for my Radio TX it is more safe ( last long time) and no drianed. I dont use 7.4v for radio because it is risk " out of control. I always check to read tester before set up to ready race

Last edited by a moderator:
You could charge it for a short time with a nicad charger then try the lipo charger, I had to do that with a life battery once. Just watch it and dont leave alone when charging just to be safe.

Toss it its dead.. Having said this.. now that its fully discarged solk it in salt water over night and then toss it in the trash. DO NOT PLACE IT AS IS IN THE TRASH..

then.. switch to a LiFe.. It can die the same death but at least it will not be "iffy".. you can just toss a LiFe in the trash.

Grim

What Phil said put 10-15mA in it on nicad then balance charge it and it will be fine.

you can use your lipo charger but leave the balance lead off and give it 5 mins or so then connect the balance lead to fully charge .

i have done it to lipo rx pack and it worked for me

yes try to get it back up to 3.3 volts with the nicad then make the switch over use a safety bag!!!!!!!!

It's not worth the risk. Fires have occurred when people tried to bring LiPo's back to life. Do what Grim said!

Better yet, what is the boat worth if this pack fails while running it later in life????

Wow guys, after 17 years of racing in RCU with some success I never realized I was such a rookie, lol.

In any event part of the problem is that I wasn't aware my son took the battery out of his radio and immediately attempted charging for this weekend race. He hadn't realized the transmitter had been left on. This had pulled the voltage way down. As it turns out, leaving the battery out and alone overnight allowed its voltage to somewhat reestablish at about 5.9 volts on its own.

Since then It has accepted a full charge and I discharged to store mode twice. I think all is well.

Thanks again to all. We certainly have varied opinions!!

Bill

"Wow guys, after 17 years of racing in RCU with some success I never realized I was such a rookie, lol."

Rookie, LOL!! :lol: :lol:

In all seriousness Bill you got lucky my friend. Do yourself a favor and keep a close watch on that pack for the next few cycles. ;)

You bet, Don.

Maybe I should put it on EBAY....Lightly used LiPo, Looks Like New!! Haha.

Bill

Better yet, what is the boat worth if this pack fails while running it later in life????
What is someone else's boat worth?, as your pack fails and you accidentally ram there stuff. Once you run them that low you cook the chemistry, as someone else posted. My Revolectrix Cellpro has a battery recovery program, but it will also bail on that charge if it deems it damaged. My LiPo 3PK pack failed and wouldn't recover on the charger. Disposed of properly.

Back