Killing time

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took Jeff to the Garlits Museum got there when it opened.Up pulls a caddy and Don and his wife get out. Don holds the door and gives a us a personal tour. I said to Jeff you know who that is its Big Daddy the real one not Phil Thomas

Those old school rails with engine up front were a handful if motor blew up.
default_wacko.png

Great story Mikey,, I have a collection of 5 garlets models including Swamp Rat 30.. the one he blew over.

Ray.. motor.. OK.. rear end.. NOT COOL! lol

Grim

Great story Mikey,, I have a collection of 5 garlets models including Swamp Rat 30.. the one he blew over.

Ray.. motor.. OK.. rear end.. NOT COOL! lol

Grim

Mike,

Can you share a pic of the Chevelle in the background of the first pic? I had a 67 super sport in high school and wished I still had it today. Nice job on the models. Lots of work is right.

Thanks, Ron

no you dont..................... TRUST ME YOU DONT..lol...

Words of advice from the old grimster.. NEVER move from your roots and take a memory snap shot of the best part of your day, EACH DAY... (kids, wife, boats, cars, whatever).. dont let those slip by you.

bad things happen when Grim has more time on his hands then he needs..

and then

This epoxy deal is really .....ing with me man... this SUCKS!

Grim

John, Don't know if you worked on The full size D-8's but they were somewhat unique. A ex gf in CA had a older model D-8 with cables not hydraulics. Made around 1948(like me). Batteries not included. There was a small "Pony Motor" on the left side that was hand cranked. Once the "Pony Motor" warmed up it was used to turn over the Diesel for starting. Bleed air from fuel system and good to go after sitting 6 years. Stale gas and varnish had to be changed in the pony motor first .

The older D8s were before my time. I was born in 79. I've seen quiet a few of the full size Cats over the years set up with hydraulics. I've seen pictures of the winch setup but never seen one up close. Their pretty neat old machines!

John, The old cable driven systems had a large clutch pack on the front of the cat to raise/lower the blade. They had rusted up and could not be freed up- Till I talked to a REAL old timer. A two Liter bottle of Coke ate the rust right off .

I'm not sure if the d-7 & d-8's were set up the same. I worked for a mechanical contractor that had an older d-7. The drum & clutch were on the back of the dozer with a long tiller handle extending foward to the operater. There was no "float" detent, you adjusted your pressure on the tiller to raise & lower the cable operated blade. Float was a constant juggling act of applying clutch pressure & releasing it. If you just let go, the blade SLAMMED to the ground. How in the hell operaters graded with this setup is beyond me. Remember, humans have 2 arms & 2 legs. So, 2 steering brakes for the legs, 2 steering clutches for the arms (positioned between your legs), a clutch tiller for the blade (located kinda high by your right shoulder), uuhhhh i'm outta appendages.....it had the hand crank pony motor, took forever to build enough heat in the big diesel to fire it in winter. The two shared common cooling & oil systems, that little pony motor just didn't generate much heat to warm the BIG engine. This was before glow plugs, so some heat was needed. The pony motor had a 2 speed tranny, you NEEDED low gear to get the diesel rotating before you hit high gear to fire it off! Restringing the blade cable was fun too, try running a 5/8" cable through 20' of 2" tube clogged with 50+ years of dirt & grease, then around a pair of 3 sheave blocks at the front at the blade. You guys that only know hydraulics & computer "return to level" systems don't know what your missing!!!!

Latest posts

Back