IMPBA sport 40 thought .............

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not an IMPBA member so don't really care, but thought I would share my experience. When this came up in NAMBA there was alot of talk and finger pointing on the net. No one had tried it but alot of people got up in arms over some thing they had no knowledge of. Before flying to a race in CA. I retro fitted my boat. It took me literally 15 minutes. Since I bolt my srtut to the transom and not to the bottom I just unbolted it and put it on the outside and made up a new cable. I piece of tape sealed up the old slot.

On friday before the race I tested the boat and noted no change in the way the boat handled. It did have a hop in the turn that required a rudder angle change of one degree to take care of, but that is a tuning tool that I am constantly changing. So was it the strut or the race course?. After a couple of runs to satisfy my curiosity I put the strut back in a legal location and won the race. On the current boats I see no advantage other than being easier to build and adjust. Could a boat be built to exploit some unknown advantage? I have no idea. Could a boat be designed with the strut under the boat that would have a performance advantage over the currently available boats? You bet!!! It seems people get very upset about things they no nothing about.

Hi Guys,

These boats are supposed to look sorta scale and they just don't look right with huge amounts of hardware, shaft, and prop hanging off the back
Here's a pic of a SS45 with the strut on the transom, you think that looks bad?

ss455.jpg

I run sport hydros both ways and other than being easier to set up preformance is no different.

Paul.

I like the rules the way they are and for the right reasons. Sport 20 is easier to set up and sport 40 is keeping the scale appearance. The only advantage I see to change is uniformity with NAMBA which I hope will some day merge with IMPBA.

Back