help on setting a turn fin on a sport 20

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gadjit69

Supporting Member
Hi,need help on setting turn fin on my sport 20.when on water,runs great..going intoa turn,it slows down intil out of turn and slings out quick.what do I do with turn fin?any help will appreciate. .thanks again
Hi,need help on setting turn fin on my sport 20.when on water,runs great..going intoa turn,it slows down intil out of turn and slings out quick.what do I do with turn fin?any help will appreciate. .thanks again
Hi,need help on setting turn fin on my sport 20.when on water,runs great..going intoa turn,it slows down intil out of turn and slings out quick.what do I do with turn fin?any help will appreciate. .thanks again20130828_202935.jpg

20130828_202948.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Make sure the fin bracket is at 90 degrees to the hull bottom and the same with rudder.Is the boat loose or tight in the straight away?

Its alittle loose. .going into the wind,its flys..meaning alittle loose.have to put alittle weight. Need to know what direction to move turn fin..going into turns..slows the boat too much.

Tip the rear of fin down a tiny bit say the width of a pencil mark and try it again you may have to do it a few times but not too much at once

A couple of things you might want to try. 1 ) The angle of the leading edge of the fin needs to be further back ( sharper ). It looks to be about 1/8" wide..............needs to be about 5/16" wide ( looking at the side view ). The sharper the leading edge is the less lift the fin will create ( i.e. less drag ). 2 ) Try moving the fin forward about 1/2". This will make the boat turn easier and quicker. Makes the rear of the boat come around faster without slowing the boat down. If the fin is too far behind the sponson the boat will try to "push" through the turn ( making you give it more rudder to turn ) thus slowing the boat down. A good day at the lake playing with moving the fin around will let you know what the boat likes. Remember: one change per run. As far as the boat wanting to fly and is loose going down the straightaway try lowering the strut some to get the rear of the boat up to change the angle of attack of the hull. As a last resort take some stick-on wheel weights. If you should need more weight in the front of the boat don't put them in the very front of the boat, but put them just ahead of where the boat balances ( with no fuel ). Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
The bends in the fin should be parallel to the plane formed by the bottom of the sponsons and the strut.

The inside of the fin should also be parallel to the centerline of the boat. This is checked by clamping a straightedge to the fin and taking measurents from the straight edge to the side of the tunnel.

If your still having trouble I would put one of Mike Hughes' fins on it. They work great.

Jeff

Back