H1 Unlimited Series

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Thomas

Is H1 Done ??

A Change In Direction For the Sport?
aa1777b64022d5779a11439839f40d1f_7t1g.png

As has been reported in recent months, several major players in the sport have voiced their opinions about a need for a new direction and a long-term plan for the sport to sustain itself and grow. The NewsJournal has learned that an initial plan from a new group has been presented to boat owners for their consideration.........

UNJ website - http://www.unlimitednewsjournal.net/
aa1777b64022d5779a11439839f40d1f_7t1g.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I doubt H1 is done but, at the same time, I see some issues that need to be taken care of or the series may end up shutting down.

I know Seattle got hurt as far as attendance due to the Blue Angels being shutdown for most of this past season. That being said, I think part of the problem is the waiting time between heats. NASCAR runs straight through for the entire race, NHRA runs race after race so the action is virtually nonstop. H1 has gaps that can last for hours with little to no action to keep the attendees entertained. Air shows help, as do running other classes of boats such as the tunnels in Seattle and the vee hulls in Madison but still, the lack of constant racing activity is probably hurting the series more than anything else. The lack of television coverage doesn't help either. Show me a NASCAR race that isn't shown from coast to coast, building a fan base with side by side racing for hours on end. Now show me that from H1-not happening. Seafair Sunday has a total of four heats totaling six races running for about10 minutes each over a 7 hour span. That leaves the fans restless and bored for 6 hours. Worse yet, on Saturday, there is even less racing but the park is opened even longer. The crews and drivers don't help much either. I've seen the crews sitting around behind the fences chatting amongst themselves when they could be interacting with the crowd. Some of the drivers are as social as a hibernating bear as well, not taking the scheduled drivers autograph session into account. Losing Steve David makes this even worse as he would talk to fans at the drop of a hat. Mark and Mitch Evans are also great at talking with fans. I have had conversations with Scott Liddycoat (congrats to him on the new ride) as well as smiles and waves while working on the boat(Mike Hanson was keeping him busy last season) but nothing from the rest while in the pits. Others may have had different experiences and thoughts as well, I'd like to hear about them

NASCAR has its problems also. Look at all the empty seats at every race.

I like the delays at the H1 events. Gives me time to pee, get food, check out the vendors and not miss any racing.

Back