Got a 21 , maybe shifting from 50% to 70%

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't expect some huge gain. Or maybe none. Your needle, head clearance, pipe, and prop may or will be changed.

With a 21 most people do not get enough heat into the motor to burn what is there. A motor should almost burn your hand after holding it for a few seconds.

Run between 12-15% oil and you are fine. I would try that first.

Don't expect some huge gain. Or maybe none. Your needle, head clearance, pipe, and prop may or will be changed.

With a 21 most people do not get enough heat into the motor to burn what is there. A motor should almost burn your hand after holding it for a few seconds.

Run between 12-15% oil and you are fine. I would try that first.

yes i agree ,, was looking for enough rave revievs of 70% to bother with it..

to be honest im making more personal gains by playing with progression of the fueling and backpressure to the tank.. at this moment

my 21 is running warm , warm enough for people to tell me to cool it down.

I let her run hot..

its burning 20% oil fine

i will drop 5% of the castor out and play with the pressure metering a little more

Jase

Last edited by a moderator:
personally just for me.. i would never run 12 percent oil.. if you like changing bearing's alot then that is up to you..

that is just me but what do i know.

chris
It all depends on what type of oil you use Chris. Too much oil can be actually be worse as the balls can wind up skidding in the races rather than actually rolling. Believe it or not, my bearings started lasting a little longer when I cut back on the amount of oil I was using in all my motors. I run 15% in everything over a 21 including my 90's. Keep in mind this also requires discipline with the 3rd channel needle. B)
Don,

What do you mean by "discipine with the 3rd channel needle"? I am moving into the third channel mixture arena and haven't found much on it.

What is a good dependable brand and source of 65-70% nitro fuel (my LHS only handles up to 50%) OR do you have to mix your own at that level?

personally just for me.. i would never run 12 percent oil.. if you like changing bearing's alot then that is up to you..

that is just me but what do i know.

chris
It all depends on what type of oil you use Chris. Too much oil can be actually be worse as the balls can wind up skidding in the races rather than actually rolling. Believe it or not, my bearings started lasting a little longer when I cut back on the amount of oil I was using in all my motors. I run 15% in everything over a 21 including my 90's. Keep in mind this also requires discipline with the 3rd channel needle. B)
Don,

What do you mean by "discipine with the 3rd channel needle"? I am moving into the third channel mixture arena and haven't found much on it.

What is a good dependable brand and source of 65-70% nitro fuel (my LHS only handles up to 50%) OR do you have to mix your own at that level?
Discipline with the 3rd channel means not leaning the crap out of it thinking you'll go faster. Preston said it best in the oils thread- "Leaning the needle is only cheating to get the power. A well tuned boat will have what most consider a rich setting but it will out perform the lean & mean machines." Having 3rd channel capability is great, if conditions change dring a race weekend that affects the mixture you can maintain your optimum setting on the fly. BUT all too many times you see people keep hittin' that adjustment until they've gone too far thinking they'll go even faster......

Before I started mixing my own fuel the RedMax 900RM was my favorite blend & you can order directly from them- http://members.aol.com/FHSoil/RMprice06.html

ok ,

Dont worry about it ,

had a glitch , wrote the boat of sunday ... Ha ha ha ...

dam .,

Many thanks to all,

Jason

Last edited by a moderator:
Back