Glow plug quality problems?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jorgen Andersson

Hi All

I have used up many hundreds of McCoy MC-9 glow plugs.

Now it seems that I have had some problems due to quality problems and I want to hear if some of you have had the same experience.

The batch that came this spring had problems with coil coming loose at the spot weld, some of them, about 5% was loose already in the package.

The batch that I recieved after the Worlds in August had another problem, the isolation breaks after just a few hard laps, especially on the larger engines (45 and 90). About 30-40% have this problem in this batch but no problems with the coil at all.

It would be interesting to hear other peoples experiencis in this area.

Thank

Jorgen

I had many problems this summer with the MC-9s probably 15-18 plugs . The coils were breaking inside with almost no use. I had several that look brand new but when you pull out the coil it is broken. I kept a sample to send to McCoy, I just need to find their contact information.. Tony j

Hi All

I have used up many hundreds of McCoy MC-9 glow plugs.

Now it seems that I have had some problems due to quality problems and I want to hear if some of you have had the same experience.

The batch that came this spring had problems with coil coming loose at the spot weld, some of them, about 5% was loose already in the package.

The batch that I recieved after the Worlds in August had another problem, the isolation breaks after just a few hard laps, especially on the larger engines (45 and 90). About 30-40% have this problem in this batch but no problems with the coil at all.

It would be interesting to hear other peoples experiencis in this area.

Thank

Jorgen
Ran into several right in the package with the coil not properly welded on this summer. One card had 4-5 plugs in this condition. :angry:My supplier was kind enough to replace them on the spot at the races.

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple guys i run with and i Bought a couple cards a piece last year. or the one before Insulation poping out on half bad coils yeah no spot weld on others .I even had one no contanuity I pulled the coil all the way out , it was attached at both ends??????. Well over 150$ worth we didn't burn up 1 gal of fuel on all them.I could not find any way to contact them at all.LAST PLUGS I'LL EVER BUY FROM them EVER ,I WAS ON A REAL TIGHT BUDGET AT THE TIME & IT HURT THE FUN FACTOR CONSIDERABLLY. THEN WE WASTED ALOT OF FUEL THINKING WE WERE LEAN.It was when you couldn't get H.P. plugs.

same here. loose welds and broken insulators on MC9s.

They have appeared to have cleared the problem but I made the switch to K&B HPs and haven't looked back.

I get a great price on them from Gary Perusse (sp?) at a little over $3 per plug. I touch more expensive than MC9s but worth it in my book.

Yep, kinda had a similar problem, I rarely go through plugs in my engines, at the Tampa race, I usually run the same plug for four rounds """"at least"""" at Tampa< I went through a plug **** near every round, in all 3 of my engines {2 green head 67's & 1 RS45) from the same card, just purchased????

Purchased another card before leaving the race (cause I was out) when I got home went through all engines, replaced bearings (when you start going through plugs, and having erattic running, it;s always bearings, right ?????) Well, no problems in Brandon with new card of plugs, jease I thought all my bearings had gone at the same time, what are the odds, sounds to me like it was a REAL EXPENSIVE card of plugs!!!!!

I have noticed the "tag end" at bottom of plug lately has been sticking out past the botom flange, so when you thread it down onto the head, you have a good chance of breaking the "tag end" off (bottom spot weld)????

So with this expensive expierience I would like a contact for Gary Prouese (spelling) and give the K&B HP plugs a try

Have used the Rossi plugs R6's yaers ago they seem to be a colder plug and a bit more expensive, has any one used them lately, and what Rossi is the closest to the heat range of the MC9

Any help with contacts please post

Rick Bellinger

Yep, kinda had a similar problem, I rarely go through plugs in my engines, at the Tampa race, I usually run the same plug for four rounds """"at least"""" at Tampa< I went through a plug **** near every round, in all 3 of my engines {2 green head 67's & 1 RS45) from the same card, just purchased????

Purchased another card before leaving the race (cause I was out) when I got home went through all engines, replaced bearings (when you start going through plugs, and having erattic running, it;s always bearings, right ?????) Well, no problems in Brandon with new card of plugs, jease I thought all my bearings had gone at the same time, what are the odds, sounds to me like it was a REAL EXPENSIVE card of plugs!!!!!

I have noticed the "tag end" at bottom of plug lately has been sticking out past the botom flange, so when you thread it down onto the head, you have a good chance of breaking the "tag end" off (bottom spot weld)????

So with this expensive expierience I would like a contact for Gary Prouese (spelling) and give the K&B HP plugs a try

Have used the Rossi plugs R6's yaers ago they seem to be a colder plug and a bit more expensive, has any one used them lately, and what Rossi is the closest to the heat range of the MC9

Rick Bellinger
I file the end off at he coil where its welded on every new one i get. After running through 2 cards someone told me to do it and i have no more trouble.Youd think at the price they cost they would be right out of the package.

Jorgen

I stopped using MC 9 about 2 years ago when i found that they were braking coils switched to HP or more recently turbo plugs.

P/S boats are getting close.

Jorgen

I stopped using MC 9 about 2 years ago when i found that they were braking coils switched to HP or more recently turbo plugs.
Same Here. Now using HP's, 1L's and Nova #7 turbo plugs.

I'm now going thru a lot less plugs, and not having wasted runs due to a plug thats glowing but not working properly when running.

I ran 3 boats on sunday doing some testing, didn't drop a single glowplug all day B) That was unheard of when I ran Mccoys.

Jorgen

Same Here. Now using HP's, 1L's and Nova #7 turbo plugs.

I'm now going thru a lot less plugs, and not having wasted runs due to a plug thats glowing but not working properly when running.

I ran 3 boats on sunday doing some testing, didn't drop a single glowplug all day B) That was unheard of when I ran Mccoys.
Even with the problem i believe McCoy plugs are still the best. most last a long time if prepared correctly

Rick Bellinger
Gary Preusse 630-279-2451

I got away from MC#9 due to quality isues, I have tried many different plugs

but nothing compares to O'Donnell. They last long and do not leak. Well worth the price.

I've had problems too with the McCoys too and would LOVE to have a good source for O'Donnells.

but nothing compares to O'Donnell. They last long and do not leak. Well worth the price.
Frank what is the O'Donnell equivilent to the MC-9?? :)
Don; ODO-99 is equivilent to the MC-9. ODO-88 is equivilent to the MC-8. Plugs were shipped last week, Great Planes should have them by now. J.ODonnell

ive been running the Odonnell "blue" plug in my boat with no problems. Havent had one fail yet :)

Frank what is the O'Donnell equivilent to the MC-9?? :)
Don; ODO-99 is equivilent to the MC-9. ODO-88 is equivilent to the MC-8. Plugs were shipped last week, Great Planes should have them by now. J.ODonnell

jack,

are all the plugs as mentioned above a con-lock type or turbo type.

thanks

chris

Latest posts

Back