GAS Thunder boats

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scale ? ..... Maybe not in the anal sense the boat having too replicate a real boat of the era, but more in the theme of being one that could have been :D

My Blazer Lauterbach ...

Scale ? ..... Maybe not in the anal sense the boat having too replicate a real boat of the era, but more in the theme of being one that could have been :D
My Blazer Lauterbach ...
Scot is that Maxwell Smart driving your boat? He is a ringer.........Mike

Wait a year for a true gas scale class. The rules will be tested by the Pacific Northwest Thunderboat Association this year.
http://www.pnwta.org/

Lohring Miller
Lohring - is this being looked at as a replacement for the current T-Boat rules, or as a separate class?

It is interesting that what appears to be one of the most vibrant and growing classes is already being looked at as needing changes after only the first official year. Too bad.
Bill - The Gas Scale Hydro Class that the PNWTA club is going to run is in addition to the Thunderboats - The Thunderboat class is not a true scale class but it is an incredibly fun and completive class with hulls available from many vendors and with parts hanging on the wall at your local hobby store they are easy to keep running - it is a class that racers can run and be competitive in with a relatively modest dollar and time investment. We are definitely moving forward with the GAS SCALE HYDRO class in th Pacific Northwest - currently we have eight pickle fork hulls that are in different stages of completion with at least that many Scale shovel nose hulls being built also. We plan on running a six race series this season that will include both the Scale hulls along with the Thunderboats. I would like to point out that the Scale Gas Class in not a recognized class under NAMBA and that our plan is to use this season to work out the bugs ....

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, I understand what the Thunderboat class is and plan to run one this year. I think it is a great thing. But it seems some are lamenting the fact that the boats are not as true to scale as they could be. Hopefully if people want true scale large gas hydros they will take your lead up there and form a new class rather than try to change the current one.

Wait a year for a true gas scale class. The rules will be tested by the Pacific Northwest Thunderboat Association this year.

Lohring Miller
Lohring - is this being looked at as a replacement for the current T-Boat rules, or as a separate class?

It is interesting that what appears to be one of the most vibrant and growing classes is already being looked at as needing changes after only the first official year. Too bad.
Bill - The Gas Scale Hydro Class that the PNWTA club is going to run is in addition to the Thunderboats - The Thunderboat class is not a true scale class but it is an incredibly fun and completive class with hulls available from many vendors and with parts hanging on the wall at your local hobby store they are easy to keep running - it is a class that racers can run and be competitive in with a relatively modest dollar and time investment. We are definitely moving forward with the GAS SCALE HYDRO class in th Pacific Northwest - currently we have eight pickle fork hulls that are in different stages of completion with at least that many Scale shovel nose hulls being built also. We plan on running a six race series this season that will include both the Scale hulls along with the Thunderboats. I would like to point out that the Scale Gas Class in not a recognized class under NAMBA and that our plan is to use this season to work out the bugs ....
Marty, Will it be considered 1/6th scale gas????

Lohring Miller

Marty, Will it be considered 1/6th scale gas????
We have created a new master hull roster that is posted on the PNWTA website - We spent a lot of time finding the right combination that will allow the boats to fit in the NAMBA 60 inch max length rule and be big enough to hide the motors under the cowling or dummy motor -- So the short answer is we are following all the same rules as the NAMBA 1/8 scale class but we are taking the 1/8 scale plans and enlarging them by 20%.... From the PNWTA website: Boats shall be built to a scale of 1.8 inch (model) equals 1 foot (actual unlimited) or 1/6.667 scale.

Yep, I understand what the Thunderboat class is and plan to run one this year. I think it is a great thing. But it seems some are lamenting the fact that the boats are not as true to scale as they could be. Hopefully if people want true scale large gas hydros they will take your lead up there and form a new class rather than try to change the current one.
I really enjoy the class as is but some of the classic hull designs are little more narrow than others.

After scaling up the hull I'm building I had to decide where to add the needed width to make it legal. Widen the tub or sponsons?

The class has been evolving since its inception. Small pickleforks and Sikk engines eliminated. Cabovers made legal. I don't think taking an inch or two off the width would hurt the class.

Back to the original question.

Feecraft made buy Leonard Feedback. Available in both wood and fiberglass.

51.25" X 24"

08TB023.jpg

Greed Boats:

08TB008.jpg

08TB012.jpg

Insane Boats:

08TB021.jpg

Aeromarine, Herzog, Seaducer, Zippkits, Lone Star, Blazer, RCBoatCo, Hoover......I'm sure I'm missing a few

Greed, Insane, Leecraft and another Insane.

08M031.jpg

The point is that nowhere in the rules does it say that these are sca;le boats in any conventional sense. In fact, in the NAMBA rules the word "scale" only appears once and it references the driver figure scale limits.
So talking about if it is, or is not, scale misses the point since it is not defined as a scale event.

The link Lohring posted, those guys are talking scale!!
I was not concerned with the scale look just wanted to know what sizes are the hulls that are being used, which I assume run ok.

Gas Thunderboat is a sportclass, not scale like the NW guys are starting up.
phil maybe we can get some good racing going this year at some places.. i have a t-boat i am building right now as well, it is a zipp rockett. these things are cool and a nice step back from the others.

terry

Phil,

If you're a member of Jim's boat dock they have a Thunderboat registry. Currently they have 99 Thunderboat bio's.

The point is that nowhere in the rules does it say that these are sca;le boats in any conventional sense. In fact, in the NAMBA rules the word "scale" only appears once and it references the driver figure scale limits.
So talking about if it is, or is not, scale misses the point since it is not defined as a scale event.

The link Lohring posted, those guys are talking scale!!
I was not concerned with the scale look just wanted to know what sizes are the hulls that are being used, which I assume run ok.

Gas Thunderboat is a sportclass, not scale like the NW guys are starting up.
phil maybe we can get some good racing going this year at some places.. i have a t-boat i am building right now as well, it is a zipp rockett. these things are cool and a nice step back from the others.

terry
Hey Bro,

You're might need to trade that little pick-um truck in on a Kenworth and a 50' van to haul all your boats to the races! :D :lol: :p B)

Back