Gas Scale hydro builds

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Consider this, Bigbird, I have a 1/6th scale 7325 sitting in my garage and it's 57" long. If you figure that the full sized boat is 28.5' long, that means any of the modern turbines and boats like the Thriftway Too would be in the 60-64" range. That's getting extremely hard to handle as I found when a friend and I were running his 60" Wildroot "Charlie" on Lake Washington several years ago
That's why they are 1/6.667 scale. a full 1/6 is to large.

Consider this, Bigbird, I have a 1/6th scale 7325 sitting in my garage and it's 57" long. If you figure that the full sized boat is 28.5' long, that means any of the modern turbines and boats like the Thriftway Too would be in the 60-64" range. That's getting extremely hard to handle as I found when a friend and I were running his 60" Wildroot "Charlie" on Lake Washington several years ago
That's why they are 1/6.667 scale. a full 1/6 is to large.
It was not my intent to bring up any issues about size or scale. There have been some discussions about power plants and I thought it sounded cool to have an unlimited scale class. Just introducing an idea, not arguing

I have a thought, just thinking out loud. I am not currently building a gas scale but I plan to in the future. What if instead of calling it gas scale, we introduce a 1/6th scale unlimited class. Back in the day, the big boats where an unlimited class and it made for some interesting power choices. I think it would be pretty cool to have an actual unlimited class in rc boating. Set rules for single shaft, prop driven 1/6th scale boats. And let the power plant be up to the immagination of the builder. 26cc, 30cc, mods, twin, turbine, electric, whatever. Think of the possibilities. I get a stiffy thinking about it. What do you think???

Bird

Hey Mike...

i think this is a grand idea

tho gas scale is less than ideal because of the size of the boats... (eff'n wagon to get it to the water? no thx)

the choice of power plant might be irresistible for ppl into "setting a boat up"...lol..im all about setup/testing/learning
Hi Mike - 1/6 scale is larger than "Gas Scale Hydro" - No wagon needed!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a thought, just thinking out loud. I am not currently building a gas scale but I plan to in the future. What if instead of calling it gas scale, we introduce a 1/6th scale unlimited class. Back in the day, the big boats where an unlimited class and it made for some interesting power choices. I think it would be pretty cool to have an actual unlimited class in rc boating. Set rules for single shaft, prop driven 1/6th scale boats. And let the power plant be up to the immagination of the builder. 26cc, 30cc, mods, twin, turbine, electric, whatever. Think of the possibilities. I get a stiffy thinking about it. What do you think???

Bird
Bird- I think it would be cool to watch a large unlimited scale class run - Turbine -Nitro - Gas - Electric all racing together would be pretty cool. I think I will add the class to the 2013 Northwest Scale Championship race, So unlimited power racing - Only two rules we need are A. hulls must meet the Gas Scale Hydro class as any larger and we can't run under NAMBA insurance and B. power plant must meet NAMBA safety rules. Sign up sheets will be on the www.pnwta.org website.

Mark - The reason we made "Gas Scale Hydro" rules 1.667 scale is due to the NAMBA max hull length length of 60 inches - The 1.667 size (roughly 20% larger than 1/8 scale) allowed us to fit almost all the boats from the NAMBA master hull roster into the class. Full 1/6 scale would have made a lot of the hulls illegal under NAMBA rules. It has nothing to do with driving large scale boats- Its probably not a class for someone just getting into boating as they can be a hand full to drive but it is very cool to see six of these boats coming up for a deck to deck start....

Ok, one more time. I'm sorry I said anything about "1/6th". Gas scale unlimited is the point I was trying to convey. A gas scale hydroplane with whatever power source you want to put in it. Hence the unlimited part.

Ok, one more time. I'm sorry I said anything about "1/6th". Gas scale unlimited is the point I was trying to convey. A gas scale hydroplane with whatever power source you want to put in it. Hence the unlimited part.
That would be fun for a club of millionaires. LOL
i cannot remember how many times i have seen big spenders dominated by smart experienced boaters in this hobby....

JWO, that pic definately doesn't do that boat justice after seeing it in person earlier today. I'm looking forward to seeing it when it's done and running.

Marty, I already new the reason on your decision on boat sizes. I was only giving Bigbird MY EXPERIENCE with the 1/6th scale "Charlie" when we ran it on Lake Washington and Silver Lake before it went to the HARM. If I needed any reminding as to how big and extremely heavy "Charlie" is, I got it today when I showed it to a couple of youngsters at the show, definately not a one handable boat like the sport 20 Pak that I brought down.

Hey John,

The U-95 is looking very good. How many other Gas Scales are being built in your area this winter?? I viewed the pics HJ posted of the R/C Hydro show at H.A.R.M. but could not tell if any were 1/667.

I'm gathering parts to build a MHR 7704 WOF around one of the RCMK engines. CHEERS !!! Bob

My shots were a mix of gas scales, scales and electrics. The round nosed boats in front of the full sized 1970 Budweiser were all Jeff Cambell 1/7th scale electrics, that much I do know

The only Gas Scales at the show were my U-95, My Dad's GP444 and Marty's Bud. The Campbell Bros. had the normal fleet of 1/7 Electrics. They build an awesome boat. If I remeber right their are 7 or 8 new Gassers being built. When I get this done next week I will start on my new 1/8 scale. When that is done next month then comes the 73 Pak Gas Scale. We should have a great turn out this year.

Thanks John.

Argh !!! I had not even considered the 1/7th Scale FE, and just now remembering that you have the Electric R/C Unlimiteds group out there too. You certainly have the majority of Scale boat interest in the nation right around you. I can only count maybe eight, 1/8th nitro scale boats that I have seen in the 9 years I've lived here in La Porte, TX. Pitiful !!!

I went to the season opener Argonauts race in San Diego while there the past few weeks. This club too has fallen on hard times in recent years. It was good to see the enthusiasm displayed by a member trying to grow the club again. I left San Diego area in 1996 for Florida. Florida District 3 didn't have enough entrants to qualify 1/8th Scale or Sport 40 as a High points class for 2011.

Looks like I need to consider moving to the Pacific NW if I want good 1/8th Scale racing, but olde Florida Boys don't do well in the PNW weather. I am being asked by an old friend to make some Indiana races in 2012. After 1496 miles in a car returning from CA on the 7th - my arse will have to consider this some time in the future. CHEERS !!! Bob

Bob, you should try to make the trip. it'll be worth it. Scales are still strong in Indiana. I know of 6 new ones this year. the usual turnout is 12-15 at our races

Its a really nice lineup for concourse and racing!

My son is gonna give it a go this year too!

Brian

Back