Fuel Tanks

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveyK

I have two sullivan 10 oz flex tanks which I was going to locate under the deck on either side of the boat. The two tanks will be hooked up in series with the fuel being drawn from the left tank first and then the right. I was not going to cut into the cockpit stringer so that the tanks were accessible. Once they are installed and pressure tested, is there any reason that you would need to get to them again (besides a leak in the tank itself)? Is it better to have full access to them? :huh:

I have two sullivan 10 oz flex tanks which I was going to locate under the deck on either side of the boat. The two tanks will be hooked up in series with the fuel being drawn from the left tank first and then the right. I was not going to cut into the cockpit stringer so that the tanks were accessible. Once they are installed and pressure tested, is there any reason that you would need to get to them again (besides a leak in the tank itself)? Is it better to have full access to them? :huh:
Your fuel tanks should always be accessible in my opinion. A tank can fail or split, the rubber stoppers in plastic tanks need periodic tightening, tubing in tank can break, etc., etc. Do yourself a favor & make them accessible. Another option to consider is access covers to tank pockets from the hull's underside. :)

doesnt matter whether the tanks are metal or plastic,sooner or later they will fail!!!I would hate to have to tear up a perfectly good boat just to get to the fuel tanks.......the easier that you can get to them the better!!! l

doesnt matter whether the tanks are metal or plastic,sooner or later they will fail!!!I would hate to have to tear up a perfectly good boat just to get to the fuel tanks.......the easier that you can get to them the better!!! l

Thanks for the advice. I think what I will do is provide an access point under each tank just in case it has to be removed later. Hopefully, not! Thanks B)

Not only do you need to be able to get at them because even if the tanks last eventualy the brass tube will crack and need replaced. I would suggest you draw from the right one before you draw from the left side as you may have fuel draw issues due to the fuel being forced to the outside of right turns. I have also had problems using flex tanks in a pressurized system with consistent fuel draw and would recomend you use the hard tanks.

Back