FASST vs FHSS for Scale Racing

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really just cant answer that question. Maybe after they spend 2000 all they had left was 70.00 dollars I dont know :unsure: ?

hugh ill tell you this i have a 5K Twin hydro and i run a futaba 3ch. 75 MHz radio and never hads a issue. Joe warren runs old radios and new one we dont run anything on 2.4 and we never had a issue to this day.. i dont care who runs what and how good they run at the end i make my own decision.

Last edited by a moderator:
julian, I know how much your boat cost I have full photos of it remember?? You sent them to me. I guess you took it wrong Im not suggesting anyone go out and buy anything Im just clearing up the misconceptions about the differences between fhss and faast systems are. I feel that calling futaba TECH support is a good way to do it . It was not me that questioned anyones radio choice here. Sounds like you are saying the same thing to me. If a person wants to buy a $40,$70 or a 200 plus dollar 75mhz unit thats cool with me. Why wouldnt it be :huh: ? Im glad you make your own decisions. We all should. Who else would make them? My point with flysky is its those users decision as well so if thats what they want and it works for them we should likewise be fine with it just as we should if one decided to go out and buy the 18 channel faastest. No matter it still make sense to know what you are buying from a technical standpoint and how the tech affects you as a driver or consumer.In this scenario the major difference is price. Not land or water.I think thats what Ken was asking and unsure of. Maybe I am wrong???

I still also believe that if the fhss units are good enough for Grim or Brian its good enuf for "MOST" of us that are looking to get into the 2.4ghz game.There are definite benefits to the newer systems.Diversity antennas, code hopping algorithms that are digitally locking our erroneous signals thats all good stuff Julian. You and Joe arent the average modelers youre extremely heavy racers as well as good drivers so for you a more advanced radio really may make the difference - slighty better line, reaction time(low latency), and take a few 10ths of a second off your record times.For you the extra money "IS" worth it. Im sorry but just the fact that the faast and fhss systems have a lower latency than your unit it make your unit inferior to them. Just the truth take it or leave it dawg.So while it is your decision Julian, dont become a dinosaur in the game by not being able to let go of something that works for something that works better..Dont hold on too long especially at the level of speed you guys are going.

Your friend or did you forget????? <_<

Later

Hugh

Last edited:
Iv been running a 4 pl and love it ,i have the r 2104gf 4ch that came with it and run it in my crawler and the r203g3 in my boats and have had zero problens with them at all.The radio was 249 .00 at tower,and like 45 for the extra rx.good luck man.

julian, I know how much your boat cost I have full photos of it remember?? You sent them to me. I guess you took it wrong Im not suggesting anyone go out and buy anything Im just clearing up the misconceptions about the differences between fhss and faast systems are. I feel that calling futaba TECH support is a good way to do it . It was not me that questioned anyones radio choice here. Sounds like you are saying the same thing to me. If a person wants to buy a $40,$70 or a 200 plus dollar 75mhz unit thats cool with me. Why wouldnt it be :huh: ? Im glad you make your own decisions. We all should. Who else would make them? My point with flysky is its those users decision as well so if thats what they want and it works for them we should likewise be fine with it just as we should if one decided to go out and buy the 18 channel faastest. No matter it still make sense to know what you are buying from a technical standpoint and how the tech affects you as a driver or consumer.In this scenario the major difference is price. Not land or water.I think thats what Ken was asking and unsure of. Maybe I am wrong???

I still also believe that if the fhss units are good enough for Grim or Brian its good enuf for "MOST" of us that are looking to get into the 2.4ghz game.There are definite benefits to the newer systems.Diversity antennas, code hopping algorithms that are digitally locking our erroneous signals thats all good stuff Julian. You and Joe arent the average modelers youre extremely heavy racers as well as good drivers so for you a more advanced radio really may make the difference - slighty better line, reaction time(low latency), and take a few 10ths of a second off your record times.For you the extra money "IS" worth it. Im sorry but just the fact that the faast and fhss systems have a lower latency than your unit it make your unit inferior to them. Just the truth take it or leave it dawg.So while it is your decision Julian, dont become a dinosaur in the game by not being able to let go of something that works for something that works better..Dont hold on too long especially at the level of speed you guys are going.

Your friend or did you forget????? <_<

Later

Hugh
we have not had the need to switch so for now we still run regular FM.. could there be a better radio yes.. the good thing about 2.4 is there no frequency thats all i see thats a advantage

Guys, I think this has become a dead horse since I think it's clear that the only opinion that counts in this thread is Hugh's. Julian, you might as well lock this one up as it's only going to get worse.

Think about what you really need from a radio.

I don't believe that radios for marine applications need to be that sophisticated. Believe it or not our turns are much slower compared to other applications. Think about how much slower our turns are compared to car racing. In actual fact I turn my rudder speeds down for my boats.

For boat racing all you really need are reliable performance on water and range. end of story.

I personally have used a Futaba 3pm for the last 3 years or more. I bought it because I had been using old school am futaba sets, and whilst they were still good for the nitros, the gas boats inevitably developed an electrical noise issue that would create radio interference. One of the places we race offshore, has a radio blackspot where most radios that aren't 2.4 ghz struggle.

I have one transmitter that I use for 5 boats, it has enough memory for 5 more (hopefully I'll never get 10 boats!). The 10 model memory is a great feature, each boat is set up differently. It's never missed a beat and does everything I want. I run a sport 45 Hydro, Scale, T Boat, Offshore deep vee and a gas cat.

I bought it new off Ebay for $150 US which seems to be the price you can usually get them for if you hunt around.

As others have said, if you spend a couple of grand on a boat is $150 really that out of line for something you know will work?

For anything less you pays your moneys and takes your chances, and save what? $50-$75 bucks for the initial purchase and then how much per reciever? It's obviously a personal call, but that's how I see it. I could pay more for something more sophisticated, but don't need to, I'm unlikely to pay less.

Last edited by a moderator:
HYDRO JUNKIE there is no wrong or right we are just discussing the radios LOCK it up for what ? Everyones opinions counts here but sometimes technical things are not always left up to OPINION even mine! Latency improvement .The amount of data or RESOLUTION as you afforded by the 2.4 to are an improvement sir. What I was and have been trying to tell you in short is that some of the feautures of the more advanced systems are not needed or will likely not be used by certain modelers so there no reason to go out and spend all that cash. There are otheres (julian,Joe W,Grim,brian Buass) that are running at the limits of our sport and the advanced feautures may be more relevant to them. If your boat is running 25 mph then latency wouldnt be such an issue you got plenty of time for the servo to react, When you running a 140 mph like Chris then thats not so true. Dont look for a debacle coz there is not one. Futaba and others try their best to make a radio to suit every modelers need from the fast and furious to the scale tug boaters. If anyone else feels like the info that Im giving is not true Im very sorry but I can no longer stay here on this thread if one person is so offended by the information given that they feel the thread needs to be locked up. Im not here to ruin it for anyone but I will leave the discussion before someone else does. Later everybody. If anyone is here that doesnt really know what all this advanced stuff is all about Just pm me and Ill help you out best I can or you can call Futaba as I did or pm one of the factory guys DON GRIM BRIAN as well as a few others. I refuse to be accused of something because I simply am offering what I know. If i thought I knew everything Id have no reason to be chasing my masters degree in the fall.I am guilty of wanting knowledge trying to apply it and trying to share it with others for this I do apologize. I have been polite as possible I just cant be anymore "girly" to appease folks or let them compare tv resolution and resolution accuracy and share that as useful knowledge. when Im rightfully corrected thats when I start asking question others they just want to lock threads or delete there comments. I dont have time for this Im going to work on my boats - a place you are welcomed to give useful advice or correct my awful boating blunders without an imaginary fight.

Sorry Fellas and Julian dont lock the thread its a good one! Just continue on without me ill just read.

Again I really apologize IW. And the term girly is in no way meant to slight our true lady boaters!!!!

The stepchild

HUGH

Last edited:
Think about what you really need from a radio.

I don't believe that radios for marine applications need to be that sophisticated. Believe it or not our turns are much slower compared to other applications. Think about how much slower our turns are compared to car racing. In actual fact I turn my rudder speeds down for my boats.

For boat racing all you really need are reliable performance on water and range. end of story.

I personally have used a Futaba 3pm for the last 3 years or more. I bought it because I had been using old school am futaba sets, and whilst they were still good for the nitros, the gas boats inevitably developed an electrical noise issue that would create radio interference. One of the places we race offshore, has a radio blackspot where most radios that aren't 2.4 ghz struggle.

I have one transmitter that I use for 5 boats, it has enough memory for 5 more (hopefully I'll never get 10 boats!). The 10 model memory is a great feature, each boat is set up differently. It's never missed a beat and does everything I want. I run a sport 45 Hydro, Scale, T Boat, Offshore deep vee and a gas cat.

I bought it new off Ebay for $150 US which seems to be the price you can usually get them for if you hunt around.

As others have said, if you spend a couple of grand on a boat is $150 really that out of line for something you know will work?

For anything less you pays your moneys and takes your chances, and save what? $50-$75 bucks for the initial purchase and then how much per reciever? It's obviously a personal call, but that's how I see it. I could pay more for something more sophisticated, but don't need to, I'm unlikely to pay less.
i AGREE 100%

HYDRO JUNKIE there is no wrong or right we are just discussing the radios LOCK it up for what ? Everyones opinions counts here but sometimes technical things are not always left up to OPINION even mine! Latency improvement .The amount of data or RESOLUTION as you afforded by the 2.4 to are an improvement sir. What I was and have been trying to tell you in short is that some of the feautures of the more advanced systems are not needed or will likely not be used by certain modelers so there no reason to go out and spend all that cash. There are otheres (julian,Joe W,Grim,brian Buass) that are running at the limits of our sport and the advanced feautures may be more relevant to them. If your boat is running 25 mph then latency wouldnt be such an issue you got plenty of time for the servo to react, When you running a 140 mph like Chris then thats not so true. Dont look for a debacle coz there is not one. Futaba and others try their best to make a radio to suit every modelers need from the fast and furious to the scale tug boaters. If anyone else feels like the info that Im giving is not true Im very sorry but I can no longer stay here on this thread if one person is so offended by the information given that they feel the thread needs to be locked up. Im not here to ruin it for anyone but I will leave the discussion before someone else does. Later everybody. If anyone is here that doesnt really know what all this advanced stuff is all about Just pm me and Ill help you out best I can or you can call Futaba as I did or pm one of the factory guys DON GRIM BRIAN as well as a few others. I refuse to be accused of something because I simply am offering what I know. If i thought I knew everything Id have no reason to be chasing my masters degree in the fall.I am guilty of wanting knowledge trying to apply it and trying to share it with others for this I do apologize. I have been polite as possible I just can be anymore "girly" to appease folks or let them compare tv resolution and resolution accuracy and share that as useful knowledge. when Im rightfully corrected thats when I start asking question others they just want to lock threads or delete there comments. I dont have time for this Im going to work on my boats - a place you are welcomed to give useful advice or correct my awful boating blunders without an imaginary fight.

Sorry Fellas and Julian dont lock the thread its a good one! Just continue on without me ill just read.

Again I really apologize IW.

The stepchild

HUGH
hugh your good we all have a difference of opinion but one day ill try the 2.4 system in the future

Its all good Julian Im tired of talking about radios anyway if one hasnt gotten enuf info on radios between the last 3 radio threads then they just dont wanna understand - A REAL WASTE OF TIME!!!!!! Come check out Gordon 4 if you get the time. Later

still your homie

Hugh

Last edited:
Back