Failsafe's Do you use one ???

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Greene

In light of the recent "IMPBA Proposal" thread I'm very curious to how many people run fail safe units in their boats already ? Pro's / Con's and if not, why ??

Not looking to stir the pot or start a pissing match, so lets play nice. ;)

Any suggestions for gas boats would be welcome also.

Andy

YUP.... i use Signal loss failsafe (internal with Futaba FASST), and my own Ignition kill failsafes incase of voltage loss (that i do sell)..for gas boats of course.

Pro's? Not likely to have a runaway $1000+ boat crash and get destroyed

Con's? There is none.

yup,

I use the internal fail safe from the FASST system and an ignition kill switch from Will (Rigged) on my gas Cat.

Dan.

Last edited by a moderator:
i think the ignition kill switch fail safe is the best way to go for gas. its the only way to shut down the motor when the butterfly in the carb rotates and gets stuck open

I wouldn't run a boat without one either.

Too much to loose. Futaba PCM 1024s in all my boats and as a matter of fact, just today I ordered some Ignition kill failsafes from Will to use in my gas boats also.

All of my NOMADIO REACT radios are set up for fail safe on both throttle and rudder.

carl

I have been using failsafe for quite some time now. When I switched to the Futaba FASST system I added the Venom failsafes as I do not use digital servos and they work great-

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...LXHUH6&P=ML

I like the Venom unit as there is only one pigtail end that plugs into your RX, the servo plugs directly into the side of the failsafe so it helps keeps things a little less cluttered in the radio box. I also like how it is set manually with a small screwdriver, just turn on the RX with TX off and dial up the position you want the servo to go to. :)

Also FYI- the new Futaba FSU-2 does not work with NiMH packs, they specify NiCd only.

I have been using failsafe for quite some time now. When I switched to the Futaba FASST system I added the Venom failsafes as I do not use digital servos and they work great-http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...LXHUH6&P=ML

I like the Venom unit as there is only one pigtail end that plugs into your RX, the servo plugs directly into the side of the failsafe so it helps keeps things a little less cluttered in the radio box. I also like how it is set manually with a small screwdriver, just turn on the RX with TX off and dial up the position you want the servo to go to. :)

Also FYI- the new Futaba FSU-2 does not work with NiMH packs, they specify NiCd only.
That one looks good Don.

Thanks for the Link.

I think I will try it.

Joe

I have been using failsafe for quite some time now. When I switched to the Futaba FASST system I added the Venom failsafes as I do not use digital servos and they work great-http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...LXHUH6&P=ML

That one looks good Don.

Thanks for the Link.

I think I will try it.

Joe

Same here, less clutter in the radio box is always good !!

Andy

YUP.... i use Signal loss failsafe (internal with Futaba FASST), and my own Ignition kill failsafes incase of voltage loss (that i do sell)..for gas boats of course.

Pro's? Not likely to have a runaway $1000+ boat crash and get destroyed

Con's? There is none.
Will, Would you post a pic and a price for your ignition kill failsafes. I'm intrested and others may be also. Thanks, Glenn

Here ya go...nothin to em really (this is before making them waterproof, so you can mount inside or outside radio box). Plug it into spare port on reciever, hook 1 wire to black (ground) wire on red coil, and the other wire to ground (anywhere on motor basicly) and its done. Self contained unit. You MUST use 6v or higher RX packs, as voltage cutoff is 5v for these.

fmnw3p.jpg

They are $25 shipped for one, $20 for each extra.

Here ya go...nothin to em really (this is before making them waterproof, so you can mount inside or outside radio box). Plug it into spare port on reciever, hook 1 wire to black (ground) wire on red coil, and the other wire to ground (anywhere on motor basicly) and its done. Self contained unit. You MUST use 6v or higher RX packs, as voltage cutoff is 5v for these.
fmnw3p.jpg

They are $25 shipped for one, $20 for each extra.
Thanks for sharing Will,

On that note (and I am NOT proposing this) How many guys would be against a mandatory fail safe rule ???

Just wondering what the resistance (if any) would be ........

It was my intention when starting this thread to create a poll to answer the question but it didn't work....

Andy

Latest posts

Back