Cracked fuel tank repair tip for plastic tanks.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davidkrienke

Supporting Member
I had a cracked 1oz tank and found out the clear container lids are the same plastic . If you use a hot air station with a small tip at around 327c is what mine was set at clean area with alcohol ,cut small 1/4 x 3 inch strips and lay them on it while heating the plastic making sure to keep slight positive pressure in the tank with a hose in your mouth it all goes clear then cools back to white and seals perfectly. its as strong as the original tank it seems. I just wanted to post it in case someone else ever has a tank needing repaired .

Attachments

• IMG20241018095908.jpg
    IMG20241018095908.jpg
    4.3 MB
It cracked for a reason. I'd be inclined to replace it. How long was it in service before the crack appeared?
The crack was on the top corner edge . It had worn through and cracked from rubbing the cowl I think but it was super thin there from when molded. The repair was so large because previous owner tried to install brass fitting into the tank side and was shown to leak under pressure test so it was removed and sealed . I think it will be fine. I have 2 more of them I just wanted to try it and since the plastics melded so well I don't see any reason to change it. Others on the forum I found about the lid plastic material information have had good success with these repairs in as well .

Back