Cool Project

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoboat

Boaters,

I just helped a great guy reach 102+ MPH in a turbine Miss Budweiser.

Propeller was a X-450/3, can you imagine 28,000 RPM and 102+ MPH

for a scale boat? Quite a smart guy that has been working on the project

for aprox. 12 years. I believe a video is @ www.modelgasboats.com

I am pretty sure the boat is going to be at the Toledo Show in a couple weeks.

I was just happy to help Peter with his goal.

Thanks Again Peter For Letting Me Work On The Project,

Mark Sholund

Sorry guys I had the web site wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Boaters,

Mark Sholund
Mark where did this boat run at? Id like to talk to the ones involved to get some information. Id also like to find out more on these turbines as looks like they are coming, no deep pockets here guess i will stick to pistons

Boaters,

Mark Sholund
Mark where did this boat run at? Id like to talk to the ones involved to get some information. Id also like to find out more on these turbines as looks like they are coming, no deep pockets here guess i will stick to pistons
I've looked into the cost and you have to be prepared to spend 2,000.00-3,000.00 or more for an engine that may be completely destroyed if the boat blows over or if it ingests any water. So, in a nutshell, you'd have to have an awful lot of funds that are expendable to play in this arena. I loved the video though, believe me!!!! :rolleyes:

Guys I've been biting my tounge on this for a long time,,,

This project is been on the drawing board for a LONG time,,every detail has been worked out and reworked,,what you are seeing is finally come togeather for Peter and this project.. Gearbox custom made hardware custom made to that of the real boats.... Hell the boat is even custom hand made,,,he now has a mold for future builds....

This speed is not a flat out let her run till she blows over,,, this is in normal running and testing... and the hull is riding like a true Unlimited Hrdroplane...

They are in the process of making a 1/8 scale Unlimited,,,, As for taking in a GULP of water in the intake,,,at this stage we must be carefull,,but as time goes by I'am sure the masters will figure this out and have a solution ...

Roger Newton has seen this boat personally and witnessed her speeds,,,this man has been around R/C Unlimiteds for ever,,hell he is R/C Unlimited... This boat left him speechless...

Yes right now the cost is ,,, well out of most of our pockets,,, but intime and with going to 1/8 scale hopefully the cost will be more afordable to us mear mortals....

Isn't this the same feeling when Budweiser and Co came out with the Turbine and everyone else was like it will never work etc etc... will R/C has now come full circle...

The R/C Boating community should be very proud of what Peter is doing and give him every opportunity to showcase these unique hydroplanes...especially on the water running....

Shoboat---- no one better than you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mikey---- the boat was running down here in the Jupiter/West Palm area..

It would be incredible if this took off. You're right, the boat is breathtaking. I wondered myself if it would be more cost friendly if more boaters were involved. It takes "pioneers" to make these things happen and there have definitely been a few of those in the R/C Boat world. I wonder what sort of safeguard could be applied to this application to make sure the engine doesn't ingest water while running. I assume this is the main issue (while running) so I wonder if there would be some way to brake the blades in the event the boat starts taking off. I don't know enough about turbines to speculate much really. This would be a great topic for all of us and hopefully, those w/ more knowlege about these engines will speak up.

A very close friend of mine flies the turbine jets, probably one of the best pure r/c pilots I've ever seen. The very first time I went to watch him at a jet fly-in all I could think about was adapting one to an 1/8th scale. We talked at great length about doing one & what the costs & risks were. Oh it's definitely within reach ..... if your pockets are deep enough. As for the costs don't look for the turbine motors to get much cheaper than about 2 grand for a good one and that is still a ways off, currently 3K+ for a JetCat with controls (it's all computerized now). There is already a chinese knock off of the JetCat motors but last I heard they are having reliabilty issues still being worked out. Now beyond that ...... injesting water. This is and always will be the death of the small turbine in an r/c boat application. After all we went over the one thing that will not change is this factor. He explained that the intense negative at the turbine inlet will draw in any water that gets into the hull & gets anywhere close to the inlet of the turbine. You need to keep in mind that injesting even the smallest amounts of water will be disasterous as everything is so minaturized it would be, on a scale level, the equivalent of stuffing a real one at speed ... not pretty. He also went on to say that type of turbine failure could be rather violent, potentially cutting the boat in two & very possibly losing the whole thing to Davey Jones's locker. Unless we can come up with a cost effective way to control any water that enters the hull this will be the Achille's heel for turbine powered scales. While I really, really would love to do a scale turbine just the fact that 3 grand or more can vanish in an instant .............. :ph34r:

Rich,, all parts are machine C/C Turbine wheel..nothing will fly off...These Turbine are exactly like the real car turbines that run thousands of miles with very little damage.. This Turbine has over 20 gallons of Kerosene with no flame out of any kind....

And I'am sure the water injection solution will be a problem of the past in the future...

Thanks for your comments and look forward in keeping you all up to date....

Boaters,

Mark Sholund
Could find it in the video section of modelgasboats ??? am I missing something here ?? :(

i just have to chine in on this one. I work for a company that make the fuel controls for jet engines we mostly supply GE and Pratt. But I'm always reading about turbines , GE latest and greatest turbine the GE-90 which is the "World's Most Powerful Commercial Jet Engine" can take anything that you can throw at it, there was a TV show about it on Discovery Channel, they showed how they test the engines and they had one test where it was taking all kind of water right in the inlet , and very large pieces of ice, with out a hiccup. So the technology is out there to make a turbine perform in the harsh environment of a boat, it just need to be able apply it and perfected. I would like to see the day we are race turbines, they sound so awesome.

i just have to chine in on this one. I work for a company that make the fuel controls for jet engines we mostly supply GE and Pratt. But I'm always reading about turbines , GE latest and greatest turbine the GE-90 which is the "World's Most Powerful Commercial Jet Engine" can take anything that you can throw at it, there was a TV show about it on Discovery Channel, they showed how they test the engines and they had one test where it was taking all kind of water right in the inlet , and very large pieces of ice, with out a hiccup. So the technology is out there to make a turbine perform in the harsh environment of a boat, it just need to be able apply it and perfected. I would like to see the day we are race turbines, they sound so awesome.
Don't get me wrong, I'd still love to build one but the issue is the small size & strength of the r/c turbine vs. the water it injests. Also keep in mind the amount of water you are talking about on a scale level. It's apples to oranges when referring to the GE-90. ;)

Maybe not. I saw that show he was referring to. It was about the Boeing 777 and what it took to get the FAA to approve it's flying cross ocean. They were literally dumping water into this engine so fast that you couldn't see the turbine blades. They also fired raw ckickens into the fan blades to simulate multiple bird strikes. The main difference is this engine is a hi-bypass while the R/C is a turbofan, meaning most of the water will be going through instead of around. Then again, look back at the 707,727, 737-200, DC-8, DC-9 and MD80 series. These things flew in rain, snow, hail, sleet and just about everything else. Before anyone says they flew above all that, you have to remember that they had to climb and decend through that to get to flight altitudes and back to the ground

All in all, the R/c turbine should be able to handle a little spray. Going through a roostertail would still cause a problem, considering even the full sized boats get the fire put out doing that.

Yes HJ you are right, i forgot about the GE-90 being a high-bypass which allows it to take on that much water.

I'm no expert in R/C turbines, and i realize that we are talking about a small inlet , but i think we could lengthen the intake tube and create some sort of bypass valve to allow water to exit into the hull to help prevent a flame out. Or another idea is to create a inlet system that looks like a "s" if you are looking at the boat from the side with a bypass valve at the bottom of the first curve to open when the humidity increases reducing the amount of water engulfed by the turbine. I'm not trying to cause a big argument, but there are some very talented individuals out there who might read this and come up with there own idea that kicks the snot out of mine. It could be cool.

If you go to modelgasboats.com and register w/ a pin and all that, once you are registered, the link is in the current issue of the e magazine w/ in the interview. It takes a while for your registration to take.

Back