Classic Thunderboats in NAMBA District 8

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

lohring

It was decided that Classic Thunderboats will be run as a demonstration class on Sundays during the regular district points series. Whenever three or more boats are registered, the class will run. It will be a regular district class the following year if the class runs in more than half of this years races. The class will also be featured at the Northwest Scale Championships.

My thunderboat is in the mail.

Lohring Miller

Good to hear Lohring................. there was a good turnout in Orlando a few weeks a go with 17 Classic Thunderboats and at the first District 19 race at Lake Havasu City, AZ. this past weekend with 20 Classic Thunderboats.

I plan on shipping my boat to the Northwest Scale Championships in October. Looks like you and I wont be pitting for each other.....................looks like we get to race each other ;)

Thanks,

Al Waters

I believe we have 9 Thunderboats signed-up so far from all corners of the country for the Northwest Hydroplane Championship Race in October. The District 8 races will allow us time to fine tune our boats. When we are finished with the NW Champ race we will pack them all up and send them to Vegas for the Gas World Champs..looks like October will be a blast B)

Marty

Info at:

http://stubbersmedia.com/nwshc/

I believe we have 9 Thunderboats signed-up so far from all corners of the country for the Northwest Hydroplane Championship Race in October. The District 8 races will allow us time to fine tune our boats. When we are finished with the NW Champ race we will pack them all up and send them to Vegas for the Gas World Champs..looks like October will be a blast B)
Marty

Info at:

http://stubbersmedia.com/nwshc/
Thats good news. I will be doing my best to get more involvment for this neat class. Will try to run at RCU and UNW events.

CZAR

My Thunderboat arrived yesterday. I'll try not to scratch anyone's paint when we tune up at the district races.

Lohring Miller

From the District 19 web site:

Classic Thunderboat

Boat maybe of wood or fiberglass construction.

48-56 inches in length and a minimum of 24 inches in width. The transom shall be a minimum of 10” in width.

Hull designs: Round Nose, Step Deck, Chisel Nose ONLY.

ENGINES will be a PUM 26cc Zenoah. Engine may run a stock 257 carburetor. No internal modification allowed. All

replacement parts must be from the original manufacturer, and the same type engine (Zenoah 260 to Zenoah 260) no

parts swapping.

Any pipe combo may be used. The pipe and muffler must be inside the boat and exit through the transom.

Nothing may be further than 5 1/4" behind the transom.

Boat must have a sponsored paint scheme with sponsored IDs and U numbers on the boat.

Boat must have a driver in a front or rear cockpit. Driver scale of 1/8 to 1/6 in relationship to the size of the boat.

Boat must run with an engine cowling or dummy engine to cover as much of the boats engine as possible.

Lohring Miller

As I understand the Thunderboat rules the paint scheme can be a fictional "Team", is that correct??

So do the Zipp Kits qualify for this class?
Bruce
I don't think they'll work for NAMBA... minimum length is 48"... I think the Zipps are only 46"... I suppose you could add 1" to the transom and an inch to the nose and be OK...

They are legal for IMPBA...

Last edited by a moderator:
Bruce
I don't think they'll work for NAMBA... minimum length is 48"... I think the Zipps are only 46"... I suppose you could add 1" to the transom and an inch to the nose and be OK...

Both the Zippkits Rockett (drop sponson roundnose) & Rivett (regular roundnose) are 47" long. NAMBA still at this time has no National rules on this class yet, only district by district.

Bruce

Both the Zippkits Rockett (drop sponson roundnose) & Rivett (regular roundnose) are 47" long. NAMBA still at this time has no National rules on this class yet, only district by district.
So are these kits made from Roger Newton Plans? Or are there kits available for this class?

Bruce

Both the Zippkits Rockett (drop sponson roundnose) & Rivett (regular roundnose) are 47" long.
Thanks Don... I guess that makes it even easier to add the lenth... a little more point in the bow and an extra thick transom and you would be set! ;)

The Zipp Kit is 21" wide. The min. width in NAMBA is 24".
That is also incorrect, the Zipp's are 22" wide. And to Bruce's question they were designed ground up by Joe Petro, not from scaled up Newton plans. B)
Don,

I really want to know who designs a kit large enough for this class. If anyone does, or if the are built from a set of Newton plans that have been enlarged. Also Don I like the signiture.

"ILLEGITIMI NON CARBARUNDUM" Don't let the bastards get you down.

We used to have this on our Fire Fighting shirts.

Bruce

Back