building new boat

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noodles

I guys, Just a little note to say Thank You for all the help in the past year. So here it go's. I looking to build a scale. I haven't got one boat or another in mind. Is ther any benifits in building a newer style of boat verses the older shovel nose or pickel fork, or is it all in the engine and setup? Who would be a good supplyer of a hull?

Happy New Year

Joe

Joe, Some guys want to do a simpler boat with out rear wings and then therre are guys wanting the more modern turbines. Both styles seem to be competitive. The older round nose and pickle forks tend to be a bit more prone to blow off problems, but this is overcome with the correct setup.

Everyone that builds and runs scale hydros like the way they look and race, thats what keeps them interested.

You have to choose what style you like and then what boat to model.

Would you want to start with Newton plans and scratch build or get a fiberglass hull and set that up?

Either way a scale is a bit more work to plan and setup than other boats.

PHIL T

check some of the boats I have here

http://rcmarinedesigns.20megsfree.com/scale.htm

Joe

Phil makes one of the nicest scale boats around. Great craftmanship. I just bought one of his U55 hulls and it is real nice. I have been running one of his sport 40 boats for 8 years now. It is one of the best handling boats out there.

Check out Henry Velasco hulls, NAMAB district 19 page "Velasco Hulls" just another option, for a glass hull, they run nice also.

But Phil Thomas 8255 is also a nice running boat.

I am currently running one of Phils Super Sport 45's, and it's awsome!!!!

I'm waiting for Bob "dasboatman" to chime in here at any time now?!?!?!

Good luck with what you decide on

Rick

"I'm waiting for Bob "dasboatman" to chime in here at any time now?!?!?!"

Hey Rick / Noodles, I hate to be predictable, but I'll throw my two cents in. I just recently found out that Henry Velasco's epoxy glass hulls does not have engine rails, transom or turn fin doublers installed, so they require quite a bit more construction than one of Phil's. Phil will also provide you with good instructions, and a good hardware required list, for building one of his hulls, so, - --- depending on your skill and experience - - I thought you should know that right up front. The other consideration would be one of Steve Muck's newer epoxy glass hulls that will make U-2 Miss US, or U-55 Lincoln Thrift - - see his site for other hulls the hull will make and price data - - www.stevemuckrcboats.com/prod01.htm. You can view Henry Velasco's hulls at www.namba19.com site click on "Velasco Hulls" to view.

Welcome to 1/8th Scale - - You're gonna have a BLAST !!! CHEERS !!! Bob

Is ther anyone out there building the early pickelforks in glass? Whats the big differance between regular fiberglass and epoxie glass?

I just recently found out that Henry Velasco's epoxy glass hulls does not have engine rails, transom or turn fin doublers installed, so they require quite a bit more construction than one of Phil's.
Not sure where you get your info but I have a Velasco hull and it "DOES" have the engine rails, transom and turn fin doubler installed.....new untouched hull straight from Henry. I've seen a number of them here on the west coast and it's a well built fast running hull.

Glenn

Is ther anyone out there building the early pickelforks in glass? Whats the big differance between regular fiberglass and epoxie glass?
What early pickle forks are you refering to? the Muck and Velasco boats are from the 70s, the one I have Oberto 82 U55 is from the 80s.

Whats the big differance between regular fiberglass and epoxie glass?

Polyester Fiberglass hulls usually have the white gelcoat the epoxy hulls usually have a neutral color surface coat.

Polyester hulls with the gel coat can be prone to cracking of the gel coats cause it is more of a brittle surface coat.

The epoxy built hulls have no gel coat so they can flex a bit more with out damage to the surface coat.

Both type would be primed and painted but the epoxy surface coats tend to show pin holes to fill when primed.

Okay, I received a PM from Bob and it looks like I might be wrong about Velasco hulls coming with the rails, transom and turn fin doubler installed. You can get it that way but you have to pay extra. Henry was nice enough to donate one of his hulls to our Grand Prix race in D-9 and I won it. It has all the listed items installed already and I just assumed they came that way.

https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/displayimage...tup&cat=0&pos=1

https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/displayimage...tup&cat=0&pos=0

Last edited by a moderator:
Back