Best 2.4Ghz Radio for 1/8th Scales

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Len,

There is just something about that stock, short 2.4 Gig receiver antenna that freaks us out. Having run 27, then the few we had on 72 for a while, Then the odd numbered channels on 75, followed by narrow banding to get Odd and Even numbered channels, and even running a few 50 MHz sets for a while - they all had something in common - long antennas with the threat not to shorten them or we would lose the tune of the rig.

I figure that we will soon loose the 75 MHz channels we have. I still have my dual conversion Futaba two stick 4 channel Skysport radios that I like. One of these light years I'll break out that Pistol grip Futaba 3PM- MX rig and give it a go. Yes. mine has the long antenna on the receiver. I figure I'll pull the antenna off the transmitter trying to telescope it out after all these years. I think I'm still trainable - - We'll see. Har, Har !!!

Where are the new pics of your U-50 Len - - the old ones turned turned to dust. CHEERS !!! Bob

Hey Len,

There is just something about that stock, short 2.4 Gig receiver antenna that freaks us out. Having run 27, then the few we had on 72 for a while, Then the odd numbered channels on 75, followed by narrow banding to get Odd and Even numbered channels, and even running a few 50 MHz sets for a while - they all had something in common - long antennas with the threat not to shorten them or we would lose the tune of the rig.

I figure that we will soon loose the 75 MHz channels we have. I still have my dual conversion Futaba two stick 4 channel Skysport radios that I like. One of these light years I'll break out that Pistol grip Futaba 3PM- MX rig and give it a go. Yes. mine has the long antenna on the receiver. I figure I'll pull the antenna off the transmitter trying to telescope it out after all these years. I think I'm still trainable - - We'll see. Har, Har !!!

Where are the new pics of your U-50 Len - - the old ones turned turned to dust. CHEERS !!! Bob
lmao Bob,

those long antenna's got in everything, I remember pulling them thru the tube and still having like 2 feet hanging out...rofl

the old pics of the u50 are still there...i figure i'll post new ones once she's off the drydock :) (if your interpreting this as: it currently looks like 20 miles of bad road...you would be correct sir), last week I made the canard deeper (were way too shallow to be scale), added bellypan, added running surfaces and small things prepping for deck sheeting (radio box/water outlet)..

i'm aiming for January (races in Feb), but my buddy who's helping with the build sez i won't finish til probably september?!?!?!?!

so i told him to shaddap, im getting this thing wet in January! lol

more later

Last edited by a moderator:
Don- the reason I say ppm is because it ignores noise all together the only thing you lose is the wide spectrum but since everyone is using 2.4 Id have nothing to worry about and id ignore all noise with a ppm system. The 2.4 gets its immunity from operating at such high frequencies. Im scared cause all the bluetooth and wifi technology uses the 2.4 as well.The ppm also has the failsafe.

Last edited:
Don- the reason I say ppm is because it ignores noise all together the only thing you lose is the wide spectrum but since everyone is using 2.4 Id have nothing to worry about and id ignore all noise with a ppm system. The 2.4 gets its immunity from operating at such high frequencies. Im scared cause all the bluetooth and wifi technology uses the 2.4 as well.The ppm also has the failsafe.
you better worry about people on your channel, seen it many many many times at races/practice sessions

I'll stick with my 9CAP on the 75MHz band with a PCM receiver and not worry about it ;)

I switched from JR went with a Futaba 3pmx i love it, i wont change to anything else. Robert Pickard

Just to throw sticks in your wheels everyone: ;)

They also run all futaba modules. I too have futaba but I will try something else if I feel so inclined.Like i said earlier there other good systems that alot of you havent seen. Wats funny about us americans is all we see now is the united states and china. Chinas not the only other country producing things. Please dont forget about the europeans and the quality stuff they make.

Hugh

For the FE guys they have a 300 continuous amp 15 lipo esc. Data logging and telemetry

CZECH Offerings:http://jetimodel.com/

You will never know if youre closed minded whats out there. Most of us futaba folks have run it exclusively. Including me so alot of us dont even know what another radio will honestly do. U never needed to know; youre running futaba! I can tell you that there are great engineers in alot of different places so dont count everyone out without an honest chance. Its hard for me to say something is not worthy unless Ive ACTUALLY used it- LIKE ROBERT DID. He gave jr a fair chance then after using the futaba he decided it was better.The ergonomic feel of the radio means something too so some of us just may like the feel of another system. When I was coming up we didnt have 30 dollar 2.4 units. The thing about Futaba that gives them the name is it seems theyve been around since rc modeling began (who knows when that was) eons ago. Theyve been in the game along time.Its kinda like cell phones I wont leave motorola but apple makes an Iphone now. New times!

Last edited:
ken,

the batteries that come with radios are very low mAH, usually 700...i get higher mAH batteries elsewhere for the boat...

batteriesamerica.com rings a bell

I have found Lifesource packs to be about the best overall packs for my TXs.

And.. they do make one that fits the 3PMX..

http://lifesourcebatteries.com/

Having said this.. I still use AAs in my 3PM at work. They last a REALLY LONG TIME in that TX.. Its just does not use up the MAH of a full PC system..

Grim

I have found Lifesource packs to be about the best overall packs for my TXs.

And.. they do make one that fits the 3PMX..

http://lifesourcebatteries.com/

Having said this.. I still use AAs in my 3PM at work. They last a REALLY LONG TIME in that TX.. Its just does not use up the MAH of a full PC system..

Grim
I would listen to Mike...he's on the cutting edge :)

btw Mike, how's the Oberto running? or are u still running that boat?...did you ever get to try those props?

Oberto is running nice.. I still need to get a good day of testing in but so far the that darn tryed and true 1455 cupped to 5" is working quite well.

Grim

Latest posts

Back