Best 2.4Ghz Radio for 1/8th Scales

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've heard a few guys say that the 2.4's have some problems in carbon fiber hulls/cowlings. Anybody have anything for sure on that?
http://www.futaba-rc...vers-q1071.html

I run my 603FS's encased in CF hulls and haven't had the slightest glich, I do run the longer antenna and get it out of the boat tho.
Don,

don't you build your scales with alot of cf? I just laid up cowl/scoop with cf and I'm concerned because I wanted to keep the antenna in the boat (it's a scale and ima nerd)...sounds like I'm going to have get the antenna up out of the boat :(

i am also considering leaving the antenna in the box and making an e-glass cowl/scoop
Yup, I use lots of CF. The main thing is to get the last inch of the FASST antenna (the actual antenna, the rest is coax leader) above any carbon or metal obstructions. I'm as picky as anyone when it comes to scale but I value my stuff too much to take any chances.
oh okay the actual antenna not adding any wire or anything to it . That makes good sense; mounting it Mr Ferette's way.

Last edited:
Wow. Lots of great answers here. Looks like maybe Futaba 3pm comes out on top followed by Airtronics. I will check out some of the hobby shops in my area to get a feel for both. I dont have much CF in my boat so I'm guessing I will be ok. Thanks again!

Ken

I would think the theory behind 2.4ghz technology tx/rx's is; the transmission is faster(faster response time) and because of the high frequency you can get deliver a signal with more power=more distance (more relevant to aircraft), But the format is as old as the microwave.It still takes more brain to design a good ANALOG system. 2.4 ghz stuff is easier on the engineer to design ,who they fooling? lol. Its good stuff though. The theory behind it is sound but its good marketing more than anything else. To get you to feel the need for a new radio. Only the best drivers will benefit.If one has a fast system, great now you wanna add exponential to slow it down at the beggining or end of the throw lol.Its the features "telemetry","Lcd readouts", etc that make the new radios wortwhile in my opinion. We all know what they say about opinions. If i was in the market for a new radio meaning mine doesnt work anymore or im running it to its distance limits then yes Id buy the new stuff which is 2.4ghz otherwise I wouldnt be pressed by this SEEMINGLY new technology -_- make sure you get sold on the facts not some space age bulls@@T.

Last edited:
I would think the theory behind 2.4ghz technology tx/rx's is; the transmission is faster(faster response time) and because of the high frequency you can get deliver a signal with more power=more distance (more relevant to aircraft), But the format is as old as the microwave.It still takes more brain to design a good ANALOG system. 2.4 ghz stuff is easier on the engineer to design ,who they fooling? lol. Its good stuff though. The theory behind it is sound but its good marketing more than anything else. To get you to feel the need for a new radio. Only the best drivers will benefit.If one has a fast system, great now you wanna add exponential to slow it down at the beggining or end of the throw lol.Its the features "telemetry","Lcd readouts", etc that make the new radios wortwhile in my opinion. We all know what they say about opinions. If i was in the market for a new radio meaning mine doesnt work anymore or im running it to its distance limits then yes Id buy the new stuff which is 2.4ghz otherwise I wouldnt be pressed by this SEEMINGLY new technology -_- make sure you get sold on the facts not some space age bulls@@T.
they had me at: no one can flip a switch on you anymore

waiting for freq clip is no fun after a crash

i was surprised wen i came back and there was no radio impound...made me feel old :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Then run your "analog" system and be happy but don't jet anyone hear you b!tch about someone being on your channel, LOL!!

The single biggest benefit of the 2.4 platform has been the virtual elimination of frequency conflict or did you miss that part? Sure the use of the 2.4 frequency has been around for some time (garage door openers, cordless home phones) but NOT the technology used on that platform in R/C. For example with the FASST system it continually shifts at 100s of times per second to eliminate signal conflicts, inbound signals are screened and filtered better than before, the FS series RX's use dual antenna diversity choosing the best reception between the two and the latency numbers are way better than older radios. There's more to the newer radios as well like more model memory than we've ever had, far greater control functions, etc. but that's just icing on the cake. So maybe you might want to "brush up" on HOW the 2.4 platform is being used before calling it space age BS.

Mr Farette I said earlier that I didnt know what was in the guts of the fast system and I did not suggest he buy a analog radio since I know those channels are being dedicated to other technologies but to a person who cant drive it wont make much difference ."For me at least anyway. I dont know what is in the guts of a futaba 2.4 (filtering,boosting,whatever) so they might have something space age going on" thats above. Im definately not knocking the technology of futaba or fast systems. Don you know its alot of hoopla in in the marketing too. The info you shared is right in the ADVERTISEMENT all that sound well some active notch filters and what not but it is most definately harder to design a good analog sytem. Not saying run one just saying from a design standpoint more thought has to go into an analog system. All that being said about superior signal filtering blah blah blah but as discussed here they still CAN lose a model . Whats new? Mr Ferette I did not say it was spaceage bs Im suggesting that he not be impressed by all the technical jargon that hes being told by the salesman out of a futaba advertisement that salesman himself likely doesnt know what it really means. I do. They use all that technical jargon to make it sound more impressive. On top of the "EXTRA" features it comes down to faster tranmission at more power thats about it. Futaba has to abide by the laws of physics just like everyone else and even tho I wont run anything else they are not the only good radio brand.I prefer pcm or ppm - a digitally recreated analog signal of which plenty of complimentary filtering can be added. Thats at the expense of the engineer.Its easier for futaba or anyone to design systems based on logic levels Don. About channels this technology basically is pushed upon you by the fcc simply by them saying you cant use the old channels anymore.

I totally agree with you that it would be impractical as heck to go buy an analog system at this time, and that futaba fast systems are some of the if not the best radios in the world ,But if one isnt a expert driver like yourself with the CASH in models YOU have then a top notch fast system might be overkill on the wallet. Don do you think for one minute Id say you dont know what youre talking about and you got all those records ? Im humbled by you Mr Farette. Its folks such as yourself that whose brains im trying to pick.

Last edited:
This is mainly what I had issue with Hugh-

"make sure you get sold on the facts not some space age bulls@@T"

I'd recommend the FASST technology even for a beginner if it's within their budget. B)

My fault. I wasnt talking about the product I was speaking of the salesman. A better way to say it would have been "make sure the salesman can explain the features in practical terminology; where anyone could understand it."

Last edited:
Or you can just listen to what satisafied users are saying and believe them. If you really want to stir up a hornets nest just ask for opinions on Spektrum. They'll range far and wide .....

How many people have lost a boat.. plane or SCALE HELI on a Megasquirts system because somebody "turned on"

I know at least one person that has. NO MORE!

I don’t want anybody in the impound touching or dropping or dialing on my transmitter.. With 2.4 its just like any other tool in my race trailer..

I see and use this S...t day in and day out.. Its HEADS UP when im on the flight line at a heli event and somebody is flying spec.… remember the crash investigation team!... lol. Watching a heli, airplane or boat “unhook” is no fun.. and its less fun when its you!

I still could not believe I was seeing it at the 2010 FE nats….

Lift your transmitter to the sky.. and do the Spec pray to the gods!

Anyway.. draw your weapon men.. but make mine Futaba! This coming from a past Airtricnics sponsored driver!.

No BS.. I just want my stuff to WORK…I want to minimize the chance of hurting somebody and I want to do all I CAN to bring my toy home in the same shape it when out in.. less fuel residue!

Grim

Ill give Spektrum systems a thumbs up as long as they are installed and bound correctly.. But this is the case with all radio systems. Only as good as the user. Spectrum has got a bad rap with boaters but I have used with very good success. All depends on personal preference I guess.

The point is this will work 31 dollars but you just dont feel right running a 2000 dollar boat with 30 dollar radio. I think its clear that Futaba is the name most called in rc. You have airtronic,ko propo (which i dont see any more) ,Krafts remember them?the list goes on and on but Futaba is a reference standard . Get what you like and youll find out in the field if its worth anything. Different strokes for different folks. Choose one. both under 35 dollars radios arent as sophisticated as they seem. For me ppm or pcm have a better track record than 2.4 but its a matter of choice . My son has the one on the right and it hasnt lost any models ever. Whats that mean? lol

HK-310Y-Thumb.jpg

HK-GT3B.jpg

HK-GT3B-3.jpg

Last edited:
Hj were just talking now, he did ask for advice now hes all futabaaaaaaad out. LOL. you cant run in rc circles and not hear Futaba.It is the reference standard of radios. Are there any new models from the other TOP manufacturers?

Last edited:
i can think of better ways to save money rather than racing boats

with all the hours i have in this scale...i'm not "goin on the cheap" in the radio dept...ffs!

btw Don,

I laid up an e-glass version of my cowl/scoop...

noticed the antenna is so short it will barely get outta the box, so I'm running whatever length reaches outta the box vertically...

call it good?

I dont blame you one bit. Us scale guys love our machines. Its more to them than just running. So much sentimental value goes into them thats why theres no class quite like it. I like IW coz they have alot of scale action and true builders with alot of knowledge.

Last edited:
Back to post #1,the question was asked whats the best radio for under $150.00 thats 2.4. The only real answer is Futaba 3pmx 2.4 All others are over the budget and this radio will do almost as much as any radio out there. End of story Nite John Boy

with all the hours i have in this scale...i'm not "goin on the cheap" in the radio dept...ffs!

btw Don,

noticed the antenna is so short it will barely get outta the box, so I'm running whatever length reaches outta the box vertically...

call it good?
Futaba offers a longer antenna for boats, I have converted all of my 603FS rx's. It's a simple plug in that takes about 2 minutes to do. The cool thing is with the longer antenna lead it becomes a drop in replacement for a 27 or 75 mhz as the leads wind up about the same overall length. The part is- HSP79766 9M08A17301 antenna boat only 400mm and can be ordered through a local hobby shop or directly from Futaba Service Center.

btw Don,

call it good?
Futaba offers a longer antenna for boats, I have converted all of my 603FS rx's. It's a simple plug in that takes about 2 minutes to do. The cool thing is with the longer antenna lead it becomes a drop in replacement for a 27 or 75 mhz as the leads wind up about the same overall length. The part is- HSP79766 9M08A17301 antenna boat only 400mm and can be ordered through a local hobby shop or directly from Futaba Service Center.
appreciate it Don

Latest posts

Back