Best 2.4Ghz Radio for 1/8th Scales

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken Smith

Hey All,

What is the best 2.4Ghz radio for racing 1/8th scale hydroplanes? I'm looking for pistol grip and budget is around $150 (not including servos). I have an older 75mhz model I would like to switch out. Looking to have one radio to control multiple models. Thanks.

Futaba is my radio of choice ,but radio choice is not dependent on what type of boat you have.Maybe the channels you need. Thats about all.Personally Ive had friends lose big models with 2.4ghz equipment. Not speaking from personal experience.An Fm radio is old but still funtional. Its the feautures of the new radios that make them worth while.Dont do like some do and go buy the most expensive crap with zero idea how to even properly set it up.Get something functional you can understand.

Last edited:
The Futaba FASST system is hands down the best 2.4 platform out there. I have been using Futaba stuff for many years and switched to the FASST system even before I became a Futaba team driver. My personal preference is the 3PKS or 4PKS. B)

I'm not going to refer you to a specific radio but rather give you a suggestion. While I agree with the Futaba recommendation above, I would recommend you head down to Tim's Hobby in Everett and check out the radio's personnally since they carry Futaba systems. Being able to be hands on can answer questions that seeing the various radios in 2D can't. Having someone to answer questions right in front of you doesn't hurt either ;)

Ken,

In your price range, the 3PMX would be a great choice. I also agree you should go to the local shop and pick them all up and play with them. Find the radio you like and buy it, you'll probably have it for a while (how long have you been running the gear you now own).

On another note, if you like the radio you're running now and it's in good shape, does it need to be replaced?

Mike,

Most of my boats are all carbon. All bands have issues with carbon, get the antenna up out of the hull. If you keep the old line of sight rule in place you won't have problems.

ill throw in one for airtronics. I run an M11 with a FHSS-2 module and it rocks. Its the last radio I will have to buy for a long long time. Never been much of a futaba guy, and dont really have a reason. Just seem to prefer airtronics.

It's not rocket science, just get yourself a Futaba 3pm if you want 3 channels or a 4pk if you want adjustable canard trim as well as remote needle. It really is that simple.

Having said that I recently set up my boat with Canard flaps and they work really well just being set so in reality a 3 channel set is all you need.

Hunt around and you'll get the 3pm for $150 easily, 4pk will be a bit more pricey.

The Futaba 3PM/s is my grunt radio here at work. I use both the Futaba 3GR (in my scale and hydos) and Futaba 4PK for my tunnels boats.

To date.. I have NEVER had one of these systems unhook from my boat.. EVER..

The cost of even the more costly Futaba system/s has been or is over shadowed by the performance.. ROCK SOLID!

You have some good hits here on I waters.. Then.. take a quick looks around you at the pond next time.. What do you see.. chances are what they are using is whats working.. ask the locals as well.

Like the others have said. Grab one.. play with it.. ask questions.

Grim

Airtronics has served my family well since 1990.

The M11X is hard to beat but the more budgetable MX series or MT4 is also a great choice.

I've heard a few guys say that the 2.4's have some problems in carbon fiber hulls/cowlings. Anybody have anything for sure on that?
No seriously I have a friend in oklahoma that flies scale aircraft $$$$$ and they lost some nice s@@T coz of the 2.4 ghz stuff He will only run ppm or pcm. If you gonna go that route yes go futaba but be mindful of this.Ask the rep. this is all for sure story and it wasnt the result of low rx batteries or anything.Maybe just a handful of radios did it maybe not even 2 percent, or could have been all those fancy feautures improperly set up.i dont know if he had any carbon fibre in the airframe or not but boaters definately use cf and many have no problems so?????

I've heard a few guys say that the 2.4's have some problems in carbon fiber hulls/cowlings. Anybody have anything for sure on that?
http://www.futaba-rc...vers-q1071.html

I run my 603FS's encased in CF hulls and haven't had the slightest glich, I do run the longer antenna and get it out of the boat tho.
Don,

don't you build your scales with alot of cf? I just laid up cowl/scoop with cf and I'm concerned because I wanted to keep the antenna in the boat (it's a scale and ima nerd)...sounds like I'm going to have get the antenna up out of the boat :(

i am also considering leaving the antenna in the box and making an e-glass cowl/scoop

Last edited by a moderator:

I run my 603FS's encased in CF hulls and haven't had the slightest glich, I do run the longer antenna and get it out of the boat tho.
Don,

don't you build your scales with alot of cf? I just laid up cowl/scoop with cf and I'm concerned because I wanted to keep the antenna in the boat (it's a scale and ima nerd)...sounds like I'm going to have get the antenna up out of the boat :(

i am also considering leaving the antenna in the box and making a e-glass cowl/scoop
Sir If im not mistaken a 2.4 antenna or any antenna must be an calculated to an exacting lenth for minimal db loss at a certian range of frequency/frequencies , So be careful with that. One can do it, but u must use a bessel chart to do it correctly; and reading that thing is a job in itself.Bessel is not the only chart to do this, but the others are kinda hard to read as well . For me at least anyway. I dont know what is in the guts of a futaba 2.4 (filtering,boosting,whatever) so they might have something space age going on. I meant the fast system is a modular design correct? So it would be a block with a rigid antenna or no? If I could put my hand on my text ,which im looking for right now, I could maybe be a little more helpful. I do agree with the comment earlier that many are running with cf involved with out a glitch. Depending on the shape size and location of the cf with respect to the rx some wierd things might happen :ph34r: .

Last edited:

Don,

i am also considering leaving the antenna in the box and making an e-glass cowl/scoop
Yup, I use lots of CF. The main thing is to get the last inch of the FASST antenna (the actual antenna, the rest is coax leader) above any carbon or metal obstructions. I'm as picky as anyone when it comes to scale but I value my stuff too much to take any chances.

Latest posts

Back