Bantam 12 coming together

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anthony_marquart

New PICS added,.. Now you can see what the bantam really looks like... This build has gone pretty well,.. I think I have the AOA on the rears set too low though. We'll see how it runs...

Last edited by a moderator:
The boat's coming along rather well, I might have to take you up on your offer!

I got the check today. Thank Kathy for me for the nice letter and card that she enclosed.

The boat's coming along rather well, I might have to take you up on your offer!

I got the check today. Thank Kathy for me for the nice letter and card that she enclosed.
The offer still stands. I have a few bugs to work out with the kit but overall it's going very well.

I'm real happy with the fit of most of the parts. I need to extend the sponson bottom a little. All my models are in 3d solid so when I project them onto paper the true length doesn't always come through. I'll be working on the turn fin spar tonight

All my models are in 3d solid so when I project them onto paper the true length doesn't always come through. I'll be working on the turn fin spar tonight
Hey Anthony,

Did you model the whole thing in Pro? I would like to see some screen shots if you have them. Did you try and model the sponsons in the sheet metal application, then you can do an unbend command and get the true length.

All my models are in 3d solid so when I project them onto paper the true length doesn't always come through. I'll be working on the turn fin spar tonight
Hey Anthony,

Did you model the whole thing in Pro? I would like to see some screen shots if you have them. Did you try and model the sponsons in the sheet metal application, then you can do an unbend command and get the true length.
Yeah, the whole thing is in ProE, motor and all components except strut and rudder. I'm all too familar with sheetmetal. Easier at this point to model the sponsons as a part. That way I can use the draft feature to generate the dihedral very easily. I just need to snapshot the the bottom view and add about 3/16 length to accomodate the curve. Send me an email and I'll respond with some views. [email protected]

I may go to sheetmetal with the tub sides if I go with a tapered tub.

I don't want to pee on anyone's parade and I know all riggers look alike but your little bantam

looks exactly like the f/f. :eek: Did you have to get an approval from Tom? :rolleyes:

I don't want to pee on anyone's parade and I know all riggers look alike but your little bantam

looks exactly like the f/f. :eek: Did you have to get an approval from Tom? :rolleyes:
The bantam is VERY different than the FF. Different tub airfoil, different tub width, diferent tub length, different doubler design, differnt sponson mount design, different AOA, different dihedral, different sponson spacing, TOTALLY different rear sponson design. I think the main similarity is the openings in the top panel which are still different but not too much. Tom actually reviewed the design and gave some advice.

B)

The bantam is VERY different than the FF. Different tub airfoil, different tub width, diferent tub length, different doubler design, differnt sponson mount design, different AOA, different dihedral, different sponson spacing, TOTALLY different rear sponson design. I think the main similarity is the openings in the top panel which are still different but not too much. Tom actually reviewed the design and gave some advice.

B)

B)

I wonder why people have a hard time thinking some folks actually still scratch build boats nowadays.

Every boat I've built, someone has come up to me and said it was some production boat. When I tell then its scratch built that say..oh it must be a copy. Nope..its as original as any other boat out there.

Here here for the scratch builders out there!!!

Well, I did get help from alot of you guys. I'm sure there was some subconious (spelling?) input from the FF hulls. I've had a few and I really like them! I've learned alot while running them.

I also think if we can come up with a consistant 60mph race boat for $400 total there will be alot more people doing it. That could be tough but I'm working on it. $100 hull (Bantam), $175 decent .12 engine (os tz), $80 hardware (solinger) and the radio you had from a car that you used to have,... there you have it. If you run cars it's a real short put.

Well, I did get help from alot of you guys. I'm sure there was some subconious (spelling?) input from the FF hulls. I've had a few and I really like them! I've learned alot while running them.

I also think if we can come up with a consistant 60mph race boat for $400 total there will be alot more people doing it. That could be tough but I'm working on it. $100 hull (Bantam), $175 decent .12 engine (os tz), $80 hardware (solinger) and the radio you had from a car that you used to have,... there you have it. If you run cars it's a real short put.

great minds think alike!

keep up the great work buddy!

ill get my ff18 together so i can give ya a run for the money!

Now if some sanctioning body would just make room in the schedule. Ill meet you felas at the pond with my .12 rigger (Crossbow .12). It had to have a name. And ditto on the $400 60 mph race boat.

Now if some sanctioning body would just make room in the schedule. Ill meet you felas at the pond with my .12 rigger (Crossbow .12). It had to have a name. And ditto on the $400 60 mph race boat.

.12 size riggers seem to be coming out of the woodwork!!! (so to speak) I like the name,...

.12 size riggers seem to be coming out of the woodwork!!! (so to speak) I like the name,...
To further "out of the woodwork" Here is a link to my next gen design

https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/displayimage...album=318&pos=0

This is my current small block .18 "Serpent" Rigger. Still a few weeks away from finishing -but I'm slowly getting there...

Mark, all you have to do is hit up a few clubs that you race at and see if you can find others in your area that would bring enough boats to make a class before asking them. Once the others see how much fun that we're having (so far, our little secret) that the class could explode into the hottest thing to have at a reasonable price.

This is my current small block .18 "Serpent" Rigger. Still a few weeks away from finishing -but I'm slowly getting there...

Eric, what pipe is this?

Looks interesting :)

Personally, I like the .18TZ more than a .18CV :p

Robert

Eric, what pipe is this?

Looks interesting :)

Personally, I like the .18TZ more than a .18CV :p

Robert
The pipe is a MIP 360 pipe for traxxas or associated 2wd nitro trucks. The pipe is a little restrictive -but it's not to hard to setup if you run it short.

I would of gotten the .18TZ as well -but it's twice as expensive as the .18CVR. I was sort of wanting the project to be more budget oriented -since that's the whole point of the "small-block" boats. I normally race against 21 riggers and have been extremely lucky :unsure: to do well enough to get trophies.

Im hoping this link works. Its a picture of the CROSSBOW .12 . Boat currently looks alot different. Sporting a new nose and Straightaway style sponsons. There is a new cowl coming for next year. I cant take credit for the whole design but the sponsons were my design and I built all the hardware strut and rudder included. I have to give Mike Nowicki credit for the tub design and most of the build. THis was the first wood boat I "built" and Mike was a great help in getting it to come out right.

https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/albums/userp...00-0019_IMG.JPG

Ron, I was only at one race this year but I noticed there is a fairly full schedule. We didnt leave till 8 PM. I doubt very much that there is room to add another class atleast in District 2. I dont have any problem with that. I do know that it would/will be a great class if it gets a chance when there are enough of us showing up at races. There are a few things I like about it. Very economical (4 ozs fuel at a time), Havent broken any parts in 3 yrs, havent replaced bearings yet(wouldnt think about doing this with my Piccos) but this is a car motor. I paid $75 for the motor new never run.

Mark

Mark, you're making me wish that I'd taken the day off work and made the drive to Flint. Hopefully barring any more medical problems I'll be back racing next season.

Another update. Assembled pics added. (in my gallery) Notice Kevins B.'s awesome carb on the TZ. RTR weight is 2.25 lbs minus fuel and a tank.

This product will be available soon.

Back