adjustable canards

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the heads up Duck think I will stick with the servo activation but I haven't given up on the gyro idea the model shop owner in town has the gyro's and fast acting servo's he seemed keen on the idea of that

Got your Pm Tony ill send you some photos and we can float around ideas to automate the system. The core idea of flaps down in the turns flaps up on the straights can be handled simply by a y cable to the canard servo of the steering servo or a 3rd channel mix. The next stage in my concept would be on the as you tilt the hull the flaps move proportionally in the direction that will counter the tilt trying to bring the hull back to a preset ride attitude. A gyro or xyz sensor can accomplish this. All i can tell you about the gyro is it should be the piezo type not a head lock . My system will use a sensor from parallax. I chose this route coz I can tell the mcu to interpret the sensor and do what "I want it to do" versus the gyro which has a set fuctionality and adjustments set at the manufacturers level. With the stamp (arduino) programmable type system It opens the world up to me. Adjusting it properly with the radio while running is a no go @ 70 mph so an automated system is needed . I want a canard system that adjust as it needs - not full on full off. Im still sure though that the most advanced futaba surface system in conjunction with one of there gyros could easily pull it off. Truth is people have elaborate radios and wont admit that they do not really know how to use the features they come with. The nice ones have memory and may have some type of macro process that they remember for each model in your fleet.

The rpm or speed driven flap concept is pie. A speed sensor send a number of pulses to a register the mcu carries out the operation of raising the flap once the mcu sees the preset value in the register. As the rpm goes back down the the value falls below the preset and the flapgoes back down. The rest is fine adjustment, speed,angle,etc..... like the wing on a chrysler crossfire. Its obviously not essential for a fast scale but it adds to the functionality and realism in my opinion. Nice thread I hope more will show there trick canard systems.

Last edited:
Tony got you pm about placement and speed of a gyro. If I used a gyro id place it at the point of cg. Maybe Im wrong but that just sounds right to me. As far as the reactive speed of the system. I think it would be fine. If youve ever seen a 3d chopper put through its paces buy a good pilot you know how fast things happen there. Andy Kunz, a very smart engineer calculated time of the events by the fps in a video of a blowover and thought speed might be an issue. Dr Wayne another extremely smart EE on ose felt it would keep up just fine. As said on IW many times "the best teacher is your own experience" . This seems to be a hot topic right now so we can all try slightly different avenues and see which one works best.

I'm flying completley blind here so any input is good . Does the gyro work on its own system or is it apart of the remote system not sure I have worded that right.

Back