ABS hull repair

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KNahinu

Aloha,

I got an old D.P.I 3.5 tunnel hull... The hull is made out of ABS.

What can I use to repair cracks in the Hull?

Acetone works the best for small cracks,,actually, acetone works with the larger cracks but ABS sheet stock

should be used to "back-up" any major seperation.

Acetone should be used thru a syringe and don't allow the solvent to "puddle" anywhere inside the hull or

it will try to melt it's way outa the hull. Try to find some hobby sheet styrine for patch and doubling repairs.

I once inquired with JD on this subject, his process was to use chopped up fiberglass, fill the crack and thin CA. I didn't use it as the boat went away shortly after the inquire.

Where are the cracks at? The DPI's had a problem with cracking around the transom area. If it's there, you might want to go with something heavier. Ron Zaker Sr. had one with that problem and reinforced his with metal wrapped around the transom..

Yes the cracks are around the transom area. It's in the corners mainly the right side. I just cleaned the area, sanded it down went with an exacto and kinda grooved the crack area, then filled the crack with gap filling CA. hope it holds for a little while, can't run the boat any way It's to windy out side.

Thanks for all the replies.

Back