A New Piston Powered Unlimited

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glenn 787

Here's a link to the story.

They're hoping to have it ready for San Diego's Thunderboat Regatta in Sept..

I'll be there to get some pictures of this.

Between you and I Glenn we should have tons of pics. I'm heading down on Thursday when are you getting there?

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't work Glenn???? I just checked my schedule and Pop and I are heading down Wednesday instead of Thursday. Decided I needed to get some test time on Friday instead of testing during the race like usual.

Mike and Glenn,

I will be there on Thursday. We know where to find each other in the big boat set up area. I should have your credentials at that time. Just to let you know where I will be, I will be staying at Campland through the weekend down by Crown Point. Friday I will set up the drivers stand in the morning. I then will be displaying boats on the other side the rest of the day close to where Leonard Feeback sets up his Nostalgic Thunderboats booth.

See you guys when you get in. My Oberto "on the rocks" is now complete for testing. I guess we both have a few things to iron out with our boats. ;)

See ya, Al Waters

Okay, so they bought the Miss Freei from "The Doc", but that doesn't mean that they are legal to race. I was talking to one of the guys on the Oberto team last weekend and was told that if anyone bought the old boat with plans of racing, the cockpit would have to be replaced with the new style(i.e. Elam, Beacon, Oberto, etc). The only reason the old Oberto didn't have to be redone was they were given a grandfather on it. I guess we'll see when they get the boat to San Diego.

I wouldn't bet onthe boat being there. Ray has been talking about doing this for many years now. But, we will see.

Here is his website. Interesting.

U-28 Web Site

Okay, so they bought the Miss Freei from "The Doc", but that doesn't mean that they are legal to race. I was talking to one of the guys on the Oberto team last weekend and was told that if anyone bought the old boat with plans of racing, the cockpit would have to be replaced with the new style(i.e. Elam, Beacon, Oberto, etc). The only reason the old Oberto didn't have to be redone was they were given a grandfather on it. I guess we'll see when they get the boat to San Diego.
Man do not get me up on my soap box about the Oberto crew guy's again. The rule on the cockpit is it has to be reinforced in the rear and the canopy can not open from the rear froward. If the cockpit is illegal then so would All of Mr. Leland's boats, the back up Formula U-1, and the U-40 paving boat that are running now. You have to be careful around some of those Oberto guy's (not all but some) they still do not know how to tie there shoes and think they can run the hole program.

From what I heard about that boat is that no one has tried to race it

because the hull is got one helluva twist in it. Heard it might work if

it were an R/C and made right turns. :blink: :blink:

Wouldn't it be cool if next year someone was running an Unlimited

with 2 600+cu.in Big Blocks with 1471 Blowers. About 2000 hp each.

That would sure make some noise.

I remember somebody trying that around 88 or 89 in Evansville. I don't think they ever made it past bouy # 1. Sounded kool when they fired them up though. Thought I was at a tractor pull.

I remember somebody trying that around 88 or 89 in Evansville. I don't think they ever made it past bouy # 1. Sounded kool when they fired them up though. Thought I was at a tractor pull.
That boat in Evansville was the Stroh Light, 2 monster blown Ford engines, Todd Yarling was the first to get it qualified at a race.

see my Album for pictures.

Last edited by a moderator:
That boat in Evansville was the Stroh Light, 2 monster blown Ford engines, Todd Yarling was the first to get it qualified at a race.

see my Album for pictures.
That was it!

Back