8255- 1/8th scale build ML Boatworks

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Luszcz

Vendor
Figured I would show a few pics from another build I am working on for a customer. This is just he simple 8255 1/8th scale standard kit. This is a popular hull, so I figured there might be some interest. Thanks, MIke

Last edited by a moderator:
And for Jerry, the owner of this build, here is where we are as of this morning. I got all the sponson sheeting done last night. Non trips, epoxy and cloth, and aluminum turn fin backing plate, and sponson top decks are all thats left. Should have it done by the end of the week if im lucky!

Its just CA and accellerator, then I go back with thickened west system, bead all the joints which is a permanent bond, and about 45 minutes after spreading the beaded west systems, I go ahead and coat the rest of the framework with a normal mix of west systems so its all bonded at the same time..bad explanation, but you know what I mean! I also try to only CA one side of the frames, that way the epoxy gets in underneath the other side of the frame to make it stronger. Hope that helps. Mike

Oh, and with sponsons, I also bead the seams, and add either Carbon cloth, or E-glass to the flat areas for strength. With this 8255, the owner will be sanding the engine well and adding his own carbon fiber, so that is why it is not added. He is also doing the exterior finishing as well. I am mainly doing the internal sealing and sheeting.

Thank you Jerry. I enjoy WOF when I have time to do it, but with production builds, WOF just takes so long as each and every peice of wood lapped on the foam has to dry before adding the next. I will say, it does make a nice tunnel boat, but I cringe at every WOF build that is requested these days due to time constraints!

Here are some more pics of the 8255. Non trips on, 10oz cloth in the ride pad area, turn fin backer added, and interior epoxied. I have to stop by the craft shop and get some more posterboard tonight so I can make the top sponson deck templates, and finish this puppy up! I enjoy the 8255 due to its relatively simple build procedure. Heck, it might even be my scale build of choice! Enjoy, Mike

That appears to have more offset than the 8255 Executone my son raced back in 1989-91. Lohring Miller now has that hull, built by Dave Frank, FE powered. For a hull built in 1989, it's been very successful as an 1/8 Scale FE Unlimted.

JD

My favorite picture (along with the ones Jerry took) of that old boat by Tyler Garrard at the Electric Nationals. It gives a good view of the offset relationships. Brian Buaas drove it to first. The details are in the NAMBA Propwash Electrifying Adventures in Scale.

Lohring Miller

Last edited:
From what have found, some of those 8255 may have been centered engine wells. Its an interesting hull for sure, even tho its so simple. To me, it is the best all out race hull due to the lack of breakable parts, and the natural lines of the hull are simple. Here are pics of the hull, its going to ship in the next day or so. I have to add hatches to it now (change order). Enjoy, Mike

Mike,

Great build. Your workmenship is terriffic. Keep up the great work.

Because of your scale kits the scale class is stronger than ever. Should be some great racing in 2013.

Bert Dygert

Greg, This is an updated version of the kit you have. There were some changes made, and that is a drop down to help lower the batteries, or engine if your are running nitro.

Thank you Bert, I hope you are doing well! Mike

It makes life a lot easier if you take the cowl out to the edges of the sponsons. Both my 8255 hulls, the Executone and Mutt II have this feature, You can stiffen the center section with cross members.

Lohring Miller

Here is my Executone that I sold a couple years ago. The Miss Rock I built for Buddy Lowe also came out of this original batch. This is the one that basically started ML Boatworks as it has become today. This was the first laser cut frame kit I did. This utilizes the same frame that you hull will be Greg R.

DSCF1961Large.jpg

DSCF1958Large.jpg

DSCF1956Large.jpg

DSCF3144.jpg

Hatches almost done. I have to put the inset trim underneath to support the hatch ends and its done and ready for the owner to continue! Mike

It makes life a lot easier if you take the cowl out to the edges of the sponsons. Both my 8255 hulls, the Executone and Mutt II have this feature, You can stiffen the center section with cross members.

Lohring Miller
Lohring,

I really like this idea of the completely open center area. Do you also reinforce the cowl to make it stiffer, so that the cowl can better survive a blow-over? Do the cowl hold-downs need to be any "beefier" on this type of configuration?

Doing it this way will make it way easier to put the fuel tank and radio box where I want them to be (very similar to what you have there in the pic).

Thanks.

Dave Schigoda

Lohring Miller
Lohring,

I really like this idea of the completely open center area. Do you also reinforce the cowl to make it stiffer, so that the cowl can better survive a blow-over? Do the cowl hold-downs need to be any "beefier" on this type of configuration?

Doing it this way will make it way easier to put the fuel tank and radio box where I want them to be (very similar to what you have there in the pic).

Thanks.

Dave Schigoda
Look at my photo gallery on my DPS sport 40.

Lohring Miller
Lohring,

Thanks.

Dave Schigoda
I ended up bonding some cheap packing foam to the underside of the cowl on the Executone. The Mutt is a straight epoxy/glass cowl. Epoxy/glass is very flexible and will usually release on a blow over without damage. The problem with the Executone cowl was it was too flexible and came off at the wrong time. I use O rings over pegs at the rear and pins at the front to attach cowls.

Lohring Miller

This hull is leaving Monday for its destination. Maybe the new owner will share the rest of the build with us! Thanks, Mike

Back