3 tank setup

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glenng

Hi Guys, Building a sport hydro and want to use a three tank setup(2-8 Oz. tanks in the ram wing and one 6 Oz. in front of the motor). I need a small "T" fitting to split the exhaust preassure between the two outboard tanks. Any suggestions? Thanks,

Glenn Gates

Set up your tanks in series. Where one tank feeds the next. The pipe pressure will feed the first tank. When that tank is empty the pressure in the first tank will then presurize the next tank in the series. If you try to use any kind of T-fittings it will give you trouble.

DonB

Hi Guys, Building a sport hydro and want to use a three tank setup(2-8 Oz. tanks in the ram wing and one 6 Oz. in front of the motor). I need a small "T" fitting to split the exhaust preassure between the two outboard tanks. Any suggestions? Thanks, Glenn Gates
Hey Glenn , although im sure that someone carries fittings that are boating related will post something......Mcmaster Carr has all kinds of tubing fittings...plastic and metal from tiny to HUGHE! Just get on thier website. Bill

Set up your tanks in series. Where one tank feeds the next. The pipe pressure will feed the first tank. When that tank is empty the pressure in the first tank will then presurize the next tank in the series. If you try to use any kind of T-fittings it will give you trouble.
DonB
O.K. Don, If I put preassure to one outboard tank and run a balance tube to the second outboard tank would that be better? Which tank should I empty first port or starboard?

Thanks, Glenn

Hi Guys, Building a sport hydro and want to use a three tank setup(2-8 Oz. tanks in the ram wing and one 6 Oz. in front of the motor). I need a small "T" fitting to split the exhaust preassure between the two outboard tanks. Any suggestions? Thanks, Glenn Gates
Hey Glenn , although im sure that someone carries fittings that are boating related will post something......Mcmaster Carr has all kinds of tubing fittings...plastic and metal from tiny to HUGHE! Just get on thier website. Bill
Hi Bill, I'm going to wait to hear back from Don- putting a "T" fitting on the preassure line Would probably drop the preassure by 50%. How are you doing the Pay&Pak? which tank empties first? Sorry guys-using more than one tank boggles a feeble mind. :lol:

Thanks,

Glenn

Pipe pressure to vent on STBD tank

Fuel pick up from STBD tank to vent on PRT tank

fuel pick up on PRT tank to vent on CTR/sump tank

fuel pick up on CTR/sump tank to remote needle or inlet on carb

WhySTBD to PRT? Your always turning to the right, cetrifical force will make it easier to empty the tanks that way

Pipe pressure to vent on STBD tankFuel pick up from STBD tank to vent on PRT tank

WhySTBD to PRT? Your always turning to the right, cetrifical force will make it easier to empty the tanks that way
Thanks Rick, Appreciate your help!!!!

Glenn

Pipe pressure to vent on STBD tankFuel pick up from STBD tank to vent on PRT tank

I do the port tank first, this keeps the fuel weight on the turn fin side longer. I have had problems keeping boats tight in the turns once the the fuel weight is gone over the turn fin.

DonB

I do the port tank first, this keeps the fuel weight on the turn fin side longer. I have had problems keeping boats tight in the turns once the the fuel weight is gone over the turn fin.

DonB
Thanks Don,

Your help is much appreciated!!!!

Glenn

DonB
That's why my radio box is over there, that weight never changes

DonB
That's why my radio box is over there, that weight never changes
Hey Don and Rick-not trying to start a argument here. Think you both have good points. I have my radio box/rudder on the left(port side) of the hull for now but It's not too late to make some changes.

Thanks, Glenn

If you use the three tanks make sure the tanks use 5/32 tubing at least on the first two tanks from the pressure fitting.I have a cat that use to run it on off shore had a hungry picco 67 it had a center tank 16 oz and two 4 oz tanks on the sides.I empty the left front first then the right front then the center.I know its not a scale but worked real good i had my doughts.

If you use the three tanks make sure the tanks use 5/32 tubing at least on the first two tanks from the pressure fitting.I have a cat that use to run it on off shore had a hungry picco 67 it had a center tank 16 oz and two 4 oz tanks on the sides.I empty the left front first then the right front then the center.I know its not a scale but worked real good i had my doughts.
Thanks Roxy, I've seen others posts "use 5/32 lines". When I checked the nipple I.D. on the O.S. 9B carb(.063"), I asked myself "what's the point"? Nobody ever mentioned preassure or vent side!!!

Thanks again for your input

Glenn

This is straight from Walt Barney, empty left tank first with 3/16 fitting to right tank to hopper with 5/32 fittings. Thats the setup from Tanks 2 U. My 2 cents B) B)

This is straight from Walt Barney, empty left tank first with 3/16 fitting to right tank to hopper with 5/32 fittings. Thats the setup from Tanks 2 U. My 2 cents B) B)
Why do I feel like I've opened up a can of worms? Are you talking about the inside or outside diameter of the tubing Ray? The thing I don't understand now is how large should the inside diameter of the preassure fitting on the pipe be? The one I've installed has an inside diameter of .093"(3/32). Is this ok? I have seen 10/32"x .125" Inside diameter fittings-should I be using one of those with a larger line to the vent/preassure side of the tanks?

Thanks, Glenn

3/16 OD----- 5/32 OD I would go with the larger pipe pressure fitting. It's all about maintaining pressure as the tanks empty, not the size nipple on the carb. B) B)

3/16 OD----- 5/32 OD I would go with the larger pipe pressure fitting. It's all about maintaining pressure as the tanks empty, not the size nipple on the carb. B) B)
Thanks Ray, I'll go with the larger preassure fitting and lines.

Glenn

The reason to use larger tubing between the tanks is that air flows through a tube much easier than fuel. If small tube is used between the tanks when the first tank goes dry you will see a very dramatic change in the needle. It will get rich. Depending on the length of tube it can goe very rich.

The reason to use larger tubing between the tanks is that air flows through a tube much easier than fuel. If small tube is used between the tanks when the first tank goes dry you will see a very dramatic change in the needle. It will get rich. Depending on the length of tube it can goe very rich.
Thank you Mark, I ordered some larger 1/8 I.D. preassure fittings today and will use the larger line/tubing to supply preassure to the tanks.

And thanks to everyone else for their replies and help. :)

Glenn Gates

Back