1972 Bud Upholstry and Other Detail Pics

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hgatjens

Someone asked for this about two months ago and I said I would take some pics. I can't find the original post so here is a new one.

I tool a bunch of pictures of the boat at the Hydroplane Museum today. Tried to get the detail stuff I think guys are looking for.

Here is a little website of them. Sorry, the pics are kind of big so if you have a slow connection it might take a while to load.

1972 Miss Budweiser

Harry,

Those are some GREAT pictures. Is the 1973 Miss Budweiser the same colors? If so, do you have the color codes? Did the "73" use the same induction system to the intake manifolds? All my pictures of the "73" are from a distance, none of them as nice as these.

Thanks Tom

Harry, Those are some GREAT pictures. Is the 1973 Miss Budweiser the same colors? If so, do you have the color codes? Did the "73" use the same induction system to the intake manifolds? All my pictures of the "73" are from a distance, none of them as nice as these.

Thanks Tom
Here are the paint codes.

1986 and Before

Gold 4469UH

Red 767UM

White 555U

Black 99U

All Dupont Imron

I think they switched to that chrome tube for the induction system for 1973. I will check my pictures and let you know.

Here is a little website of them. Sorry, the pics are kind of big so if you have a slow connection it might take a while to load.1972 Miss Budweiser
Hey Harry that last pic shows the former '73 Miss Madison that became the Atlas display boat. Is that the next restoration project? :blink:
The boat is in far worse shape than they expected. I think it is so far down the list of things they want to tackle that it will eventually just rot away.

Harry,I'm the one that requested the Miss Bud photos.I'm building a 68 Miss Bud to add to my fleet of one,a Miss Bud T-5.The photos you took are fantastic.I cann't thank you enough.In your photo title you noted the boat as a 72.Did the Bud team keep the same boat from 68 thru 72 with a number change from U-12 to U-1,or is it a different boat?

Thanks again.

Harvey Liberman

Knoxville Tn.

Will those bud paint codes work for the 1970 U-13 back up boat?

Yes the paint codes are the same for the U-13 Budweiser II. I ran that boat myself about ten years ago. Let me know if you need any more info about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Harry,I'm the one that requested the Miss Bud photos.I'm building a 68 Miss Bud to add to my fleet of one,a Miss Bud T-5.The photos you took are fantastic.I cann't thank you enough.In your photo title you noted the boat as a 72.Did the Bud team keep the same boat from 68 thru 72 with a number change from U-12 to U-1,or is it a different boat?Thanks again.

Harvey Liberman

Knoxville Tn.
Yes, it is the same boat. It was brand new in 1968. I met Ed Karelson when I was checking into the hospital on the day of it's first test run. He was very excited about it and quite enthused to find a 13 year old kid who knew about it on it's first day. He talked with me for quite a bit.

It ran as the U-12 in 1968 and 1969 and then changed the number to U-1 for 1970, 71 and 72. The main diference in the paint is the U number and the lack of the Championship shields. I have posted a picture of it, but will try and find you one with more detail. The pic I am posting is from 1969 but the boat was identical in 68 and 69.

Harry

1969 Bud

Here are a couple more pictures of the 6812.

I guess they are to big of files. Email me for pics if needed. These are from the pictures taken back then. I beleive this is really the 70 not the 68

Harry,You must be a walking encyclopedia on 1/8 scales.I seem to remember a post some time ago where you stated that you made the Sikkens match to Bud red and had the mix called 359 "hydroplane red".I used it on my 98 T-5.In this thread you stated that Dupont Imron red 767um is applicable for Miss Buds' prior to 86.My question is this the same as Sikkens 359?

Harvey Liberman

Knoxville Tn.

Harry,You must be a walking encyclopedia on 1/8 scales.I seem to remember a post some time ago where you stated that you made the Sikkens match to Bud red and had the mix called 359 "hydroplane red".I used it on my 98 T-5.In this thread you stated that Dupont Imron red 767um is applicable for Miss Buds' prior to 86.My question is this the same as Sikkens 359?
Harvey Liberman

Knoxville Tn.
The new red is a bit "brighter" than the old.

I've been a Bud fan ever since they bought the Miss Exide for 1966. I got to know Bernie Little a bit when I was 15. So I know a lot about them, not so good with some of the other boats though.

Harvey Liberman

Knoxville Tn.
The new red is a bit "brighter" than the old.

I've been a Bud fan ever since they bought the Miss Exide for 1966. I got to know Bernie Little a bit when I was 15. So I know a lot about them, not so good with some of the other boats though.
Harvey send me your address and I will send you some "goodies."

[email protected]

Harry,Id love to take you up on some Bud goodies. If it is material that other 1/8 scale nuts can use then post it on IW.If it's written material or will not post,then send it to me at:

Harvey Liberman

7932 Corteland Dr.

Knoxville,Tn.

THANKS

I finally figured out how to post pick in my album. If you look at the diamond tuck upholstery of the pay n pak, it is extruded pvc that was sanded and heated to that shape then painted. It is light, carveable, sandable and is easy to bend with heat. Go to a sign shop and ask for their scrap rigid PVC foam board.

I made the simulated leather for the 71 Bud with a light elastic material that is shinny and black. When nailed down with nails from a N scale train set and glued down with spray upholstry glue, it looks just like real leather.

Wes,your post is a heck of a coincidence.Larry Kraemer and I were just going over the same subject .Its great info.Thanks for sharing.

Harvey Liberman

Knoxville Tn.

Harry,believe it or not I've got some more questions about the 68 Miss Bud.In the fantasic photos you posted from the Hydroplane Museum of the 68-72 Miss Bud,the exhaust stacks looked chrome.Pictures of the real boat that I have or have seen are too small to catch this detail.What was the color of the exhaust?I have seen what looked like white also.It also appears that the stack mounting flange is black.Is this correct?

Next question.It appears that all 12 of the port side magneto wires are routed over the top of the engine then down into the vee between the intake manifolds.The 12 starboard magneto wires appear to be routed under the starboard exhaust with the loom ending at the rear of engine block.What happens to the wires that I don't see?Are they possibly feeding the outside plugs on both banks?Harry,if I'm driving you crazy,let me know,but answer first.

Wes,if you're following this thread,I appreciate the cockpit finishing info you posted.

I love this site!

Harvey Liberman

Knoxville Tn.

I spoke with Roger Newton a few nights ago.He said that the chrome exhaust stacks on the Hydroplane Museum restored 68-71 Miss Bud U-12/U-1 were not there during the boats racing years.The stacks were white.

Harvey Liberman

harvknox i have the CottonField sport20/32 the plans an cowl they look quit abit like the bud pictures that has been posted hear would you know what engine type Hull type driver any more info or where i can find any more pictures an more facts on this boat please

Thank you

Marty

Latest posts

Back