• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Int'l Waters and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB Good 3ch Radio FM

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry Wyss

GEEZE!, I was looking for a FM pistol radio to operate a simple 3rd channel needle valve.

I Don't need the capacity of a PC,, "30 Model Memory"???? Give Me a Break

Does anybody know of a unit that will "simply" do the job?

Last edited by a moderator:
GEEZE!, I was looking for a FM pistol radio to operate a simple 3rd channel needle valve.

I Don't need the capacity of a PC,, "30 Model Memory"???? Give Me a Break

Does anybody know of a unit that will "simply" do the job?
JR xs3 or the xs3 pro. the only differance is the pro stores 10 models and is silver and the regular only stores 6 and there is about 35 dollar price diff. very good radios approx. $225.00 with synthisized receiver and 2 servos 1 high tork and metal gear.

Jerry,

It also depends on if your going to use your existing recievers.

JR and Futaba will not share the same RX.

I switched from The JR XS3 to a Futaba 3PJS.And yes,all of the RXs too.Both will do the job,but I really didn't care for the JR.But,that's my personal preferance.

The 3rd channel is progressive.Meaning when you use it,is starts out slow and picks up speed as it goes.

And controlled by a rocker switch.The longer you hold it,the faster the servo travels.Some might like that.

The Futaba is consistant and has a dial.That I like.Also has a PCM feature(when you use the PCM RX).You can control just about everything with it.Including built in failsafes.Great feature.

They both have positive and negative features.

The JR is fully synthasized RX and TX.

The Futaba just the TX option is available.RX still uses chips.

I'm sure there are more options out there,but this was just my $.02.And probably only worth $.01.

Unfortunatly the 3PJS is no longer available If you want new.

But,I've picked 2 really nice ones on E-Bay for about $85-$100 each.

Well worth the price.

Good luck on whatever you choose.

Jerry,

It also depends on if your going to use your existing recievers.

JR and Futaba will not share the same RX.

I switched from The JR XS3 to a Futaba 3PJS.And yes,all of the RXs too.Both will do the job,but I really didn't care for the JR.But,that's my personal preferance.

The 3rd channel is progressive.Meaning when you use it,is starts out slow and picks up speed as it goes.

And controlled by a rocker switch.The longer you hold it,the faster the servo travels.Some might like that.

The Futaba is consistant and has a dial.That I like.Also has a PCM feature(when you use the PCM RX).You can control just about everything with it.Including built in failsafes.Great feature.

They both have positive and negative features.

The JR is fully synthasized RX and TX.

The Futaba just the TX option is available.RX still uses chips.

I'm sure there are more options out there,but this was just my $.02.And probably only worth $.01.

Unfortunatly the 3PJS is no longer available If you want new.

But,I've picked 2 really nice ones on E-Bay for about $85-$100 each.

Well worth the price.

Good luck on whatever you choose.
Got a 3pj and three receivers with aluiminum radio box with nicad in the transmitter and charger. Just back from a tune up from futaba. Great shape like new 140 shipped. [email protected] for pictures or see my listing father down the page.

You should be able to find a good deal on the Airtronics M-8 it will do what you need and was replaced by the M-11. What recievers do you have now? You would be best to get a radio that will work with those rather than have to get all new ones.

You should be able to find a good deal on the Airtronics M-8 it will do what you need and was replaced by the M-11. What recievers do you have now? You would be best to get a radio that will work with those rather than have to get all new ones.
Hey Champ, Been havin' good luck with the Hitec DCX FM 75meg. I had the man that built the "Sirius"

charger tell me (years ago) that Hitec made good recievers and I think he was right.

I was trying to have a look at a new M-8 but like you said, they have been replaced by the 11.

My Major complaint with some of these radios is, Who the hell needs "30" Model Memory? I can't believe

that the majority of users could even own that many models,,hell, 30 Cars?? 30 Boats?? Get outa Here!

I'll stay with the Hitec I guess,,, Gawd, I'm afraid to even look at what They have new,, cigarette lighter would be great.

Pay attention to what you are getting in the 3rd channel adjustment. They dont all work the same. Futaba 3pdf and PJ and Airtronics M-8 and M-11 will allow smaller steps . Some of the old Hitec radios would only give 3 or 5 steps. Not always user freindly when trying to get the needle. Futaba will give you +/- 50 steps. I ahve a pair of 3PDF's that have worked flawlessly, with a good set of Ni-cad will run atleast 4 1/2 hrs straight without shutting off. Also has some nice features to allow you to program other switches for the 3rd channel. Hitec may have changed there 3rd channel but I haven't looked since I got my 3PDF. Never owned JR. research research. Airtronics M-8 LOOKS to have a nice screen to allow you to navigate the menu. Only complaint I have about the PDF is the cheesy battery door.

Mark

Pay attention to what you are getting in the 3rd channel adjustment. They dont all work the same. Futaba 3pdf and PJ and Airtronics M-8 and M-11 will allow smaller steps . Some of the old Hitec radios would only give 3 or 5 steps. Not always user freindly when trying to get the needle. Futaba will give you +/- 50 steps. I ahve a pair of 3PDF's that have worked flawlessly, with a good set of Ni-cad will run atleast 4 1/2 hrs straight without shutting off. Also has some nice features to allow you to program other switches for the 3rd channel. Hitec may have changed there 3rd channel but I haven't looked since I got my 3PDF. Never owned JR. research research. Airtronics M-8 LOOKS to have a nice screen to allow you to navigate the menu. Only complaint I have about the PDF is the cheesy battery door.

Mark
Lot's a good stuff guys, very impressive info,, if I was to go with something else it would be

Airtronics. I have allot'a stuff which is compatible with them, recievers an such,, I'm ****

nervous about E-bay though. Some hobby shop should have an M-8 that they want to clear out

possibly,, I'll call around and see what I can find.

Thanks a Bunch, Jerry

EDIT:

I found an M-11 for $264 TX only and a M-11 TX with RX, extra crystals, switch and

stuff $294

The latter sounds like a good deal,, brand new stuff.

It was at "A Main Hobbies", does anybody know about this place?

I have 2 M-8's . I LOVE the radio, my only complaint is the 3rd channel system...It SUCKS

There are ZERO adjustments for the thrid channel, No EPA, No Trim, No EXPO, nothing! . If you use the radio for more than one model, (like I do) when you change to a different model the 3rd channel is still in the same position when you had it on the last model. There is no numbering system asscociated with the 3rd channel, like the futaba radio has (they use percentages, and or numbers) It helps tremendously when you are trying to duplicate a prior setting, you just put it on the number that you last had it on. Not on the M8 though.... To its credit, the knob is very linear, small increment movement, which works GREAT for needles... but without the other stuff it is a pain in the ass. If you are looking for a great radio, with a Great 3rd channel system, get the 3PJ from Cleatus. Its a VERY nice radio, and at that price you cant go wrong. It has the Number system that I was talking about so you can easily reference your last hot needle setting, and is fairly easy to setup.

~James

P.S. As far as I know, the M11 did not change anything with the 3rd channel system.... If we just had an insider to tell them what boaters need....

Just to second what Mark said, The M8 is the EASIEST radio to set-up and navigate through that I have ever used or owned....

~James

I have 2 M-8's . I LOVE the radio, my only complaint is the 3rd channel system...It SUCKS

There are ZERO adjustments for the thrid channel, No EPA, No Trim, No EXPO, nothing! . If you use the radio for more than one model, (like I do) when you change to a different model the 3rd channel is still in the same position when you had it on the last model. There is no numbering system asscociated with the 3rd channel, like the futaba radio has (they use percentages, and or numbers) It helps tremendously when you are trying to duplicate a prior setting, you just put it on the number that you last had it on. Not on the M8 though.... To its credit, the knob is very linear, small increment movement, which works GREAT for needles... but without the other stuff it is a pain in the ass. If you are looking for a great radio, with a Great 3rd channel system, get the 3PJ from Cleatus. Its a VERY nice radio, and at that price you cant go wrong. It has the Number system that I was talking about so you can easily reference your last hot needle setting, and is fairly easy to setup.

~James

P.S. As far as I know, the M11 did not change anything with the 3rd channel system.... If we just had an insider to tell them what boaters need....

Just to second what Mark said, The M8 is the EASIEST radio to set-up and navigate through that I have ever used or owned....

~James
The M11 (four channel radio system) did change on the third channel, it has end point adjustments, switch assignment , step assignment, servo reverse, and model memory. I Have and M8 and a M11 and the M11 is alot harder to navigate through. IMHO

Steve

Well, it seems like I'm looking at the right radio, meaning the M-11 and the ability to store

the needle setting for other models (1 OR 2) Not 30! would be helpful.

All I need is the ability to launch my engine set-up a little lean to get it to "cook off" in

the mill and feed the beast as needed.

That was my problem in the last race, the thing wouldn't take off when needed and I had to play catch-up for the rest of the heat,, and "catch-up" it did.

A Main Hobbies is a good place with good prices. There is a newer 3 channel futaba 10 model radio that works great and was only the $130 range...

"Catch-up"??? :blink: Must have missed that part... :lol: Just kidding.. Hope you can make it to a race up here! Next one is the 10th-11th.. Heck of a drive but worth the fun.. Really enjoyed myself at your race.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...&I=LXGAG3**&P=7

This is the link to the Futaba.. It also comes with a decent servo.. They offer the same radio for $119 without that servo.

Charley

"Catch-up"??? :blink: Must have missed that part... :lol: Just kidding..

Well it is easy to miss when its behind you,,

I'm gonna have to wait for the Duval race, swamped with work and have to get use to

the 3rd channel thing so I can make it easier for you to see me, :lol:

Yes, take the time to get used to the 3rd channel! I have leaned out plenty of boats thinking I had one more click!!

Charley

I ordered the M-11 and hour ago, thinking that I missed something cheaper and simpler

is making me sick. But, I'll live with it,, BTW, nice running boat you have ;)

Airtronics is top notch stuff and I'm sure it will be very straight forward.

Have fun!

Charley

Latest posts

Back