Wing adjustment.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh Stollfuss

I am curious, I've finsihed my sport 40. I have it set up with a wing. Can anyone tell me what is a good angle to start with? Flat, tipped up or tipped down, what degrees? I'm not sure I'm going to race it with the wing but I may run it a few times with the wing just for kicks and just wondered what a good starting point would be?? Scale guys can you help me out??

Josh-

I am curious, I've finsihed my sport 40. I have it set up with a wing. Can anyone tell me what is a good angle to start with? Flat, tipped up or tipped down, what degrees? I'm not sure I'm going to race it with the wing but I may run it a few times with the wing just for kicks and just wondered what a good starting point would be?? Scale guys can you help me out??

Josh-
Start out flat. :)

Don do you just leave it flat? or can it be adjusted to help lift the transom? If so what direction, back tipped up or down?

Josh-

Don do you just leave it flat? or can it be adjusted to help lift the transom? If so what direction, back tipped up or down?

Josh-
Josh you definitely can use that wing to change how the boat runs. If you want more tail lift drop the trailing (rear) edge of the wing but do this in small increments at a time.

Thanks, drop the trailing edge and that lifts the rear. Makes sense, that's what I thought, I just wanted to be sure. So, it sounds like a little goes a long ways?

Thanks!

Josh-

So, it sounds like a little goes a long ways?
Here's an example- stick you hand flat out of a car window doing 40mph, then tilt slightly up or down & see what happens. Keep in mind the surface area of your scale or sport 40 wing is greater than your hand & they are going faster than 40. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Josh-
Josh you definitely can use that wing to change how the boat runs. If you want more tail lift drop the trailing (rear) edge of the wing but do this in small increments at a time.
Beg to differ,

at high speed, flat MAY get you by, but you will need to tilt them up (if adjustable) or add an aluminum fin at the rear bent up for down force at high speed and windy days. In the down position, you will for sure blow it over, trapping too much air, good bye.........

As in our scale boats, we use the rear wing (in the negitive position) to LIFT the rear end, creating frontal down force. Indy cars use wings for down force period, making them stick to the track.

B)

Josh-
Beg to differ,

at high speed, flat MAY get you by, but you will need to tilt them up (if adjustable) or add an aluminum fin at the rear bent up for down force at high speed and windy days. In the down position, you will for sure blow it over, trapping too much air, good bye.........

As in our scale boats, we use the rear wing (in the negitive position) to LIFT the rear end, creating frontal down force. Indy cars use wings for down force period, making them stick to the track.

B)
What?? Rethink what you just said in your first sentence. If you raise the trailing end of the rear wing you increase downforce on the rear which will raise the front & make it blow over faster as you're pushing the tail down increasing hulls overall angle of attack & decreasing the amount of air able to bleed off the afterplane. Now if the boat has them, raising the trailing edge of the front canard wings can do alot to help hold the nose down. I myself typically run a zero angle of atack on rear wing & positive AOA on front canards.

And you just reworded what I aleady said about dropping the trailing edge to help lift the tail end in the second part of your post, not to mention seeming to contradict yourself.

I ran a PT SS45 with a rear wing and while my last name is Byrd you would think that I would like tail feathers however I do not! Take it off and run the livin daylights out of it! :D

Scales with tail feathers are in second place or upside down! :p

I'm going to try running it with & and with out the wing this weeknd. It just seems that lifting the transom slightly would be benifical. This is a PT sport 40 so it does have front canard wings tilted up on the trailing edge. The finished boat ended up being 10 pounds which might be heavy for a sport 40?? But I'll still have fun with it.

Thanks for the advice!

Josh-

Josh-
Beg to differ,

B)
What?? Rethink what you just said in your first sentence. If you raise the trailing end of the rear wing you increase downforce on the rear which will raise the front & make it blow over faster as you're pushing the tail down increasing hulls overall angle of attack & decreasing the amount of air able to bleed off the afterplane. Now if the boat has them, raising the trailing edge of the front canard wings can do alot to help hold the nose down. I myself typically run a zero angle of atack on rear wing & positive AOA on front canards.

And you just reworded what I aleady said about dropping the trailing edge to help lift the tail end in the second part of your post, not to mention seeming to contradict yourself.
Nope, said just perfect, ever see an unlimited run with the canard wings down in the straightaway ? if you did, it wont be for long, the unlimited use the canards to float the boat thru the turns, then either are flat or up (positive) in the straights to keep the nose down depending on the course condition, we dont have the ability to change them for turning , but we can for straightaways. your canard wings wont do crap to lift the rear of your boat. just my opion......... but the strut angle and prop will.

I ran a PT SS45 with a rear wing and while my last name is Byrd you would think that I would like tail feathers however I do not! Take it off and run the livin daylights out of it! :D

Ron,

Build a real unlimited :blink:

B)

Nope, said just perfect, ever see an unlimited run with the canard wings down in the straightaway ? if you did, it wont be for long, the unlimited use the canards to float the boat thru the turns, then either are flat or up (positive) in the straights to keep the nose down depending on the course condition, we dont have the ability to change them for turning , but we can for straightaways. your canard wings wont do crap to lift the rear of your boat. just my opion......... but the strut angle and prop will.
We were never talking about the front canard wings until I just mentioned them, this was about the rear wing. :rolleyes:

Josh-
Beg to differ,

B)

Ron,

B)
Oh my correction, I looked at the original post as if he was refering to the canard wings (front) not the rear wing (I havent seen one on a sport 40 in years) forgive me PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!

Josh-
Beg to differ,

B)

Ron,

B)
Oh my correction, I looked at the original post as if he was refering to the canard wings (front) not the rear wing (I havent seen one on a sport 40 in years) forgive me PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!
We still luv ya Joe!!! :p

Josh-
Beg to differ,

B)

Ron,

B)
We still luv ya Joe!!! :p
Whew....

now I just have to worry about Ron's reply.........

not.

jw

Yeah we still luv ya Joe :p :blink: :huh: NOT! :lol:

The real ones were the 50's through the early 80's !!! After that they started building planes with jet engines, I'll take the sound of a Merlin over a jet anyday.

Dont make me drag out my 74 Pay N Pak with tail feathers cause it is one that was never up side down :)

Good luck at Orlando Joe! I will be gone to Atlanta.

Ron

Last edited:
Wings....I love the looks of them. They are "real" looking. My Sport has had rear wings for years and still has the uprights this year. GO WINGS!!!!

Joe, my front canards are tied to my rudder servo so they flatten in the corner and are up in the straights B)

Better than any gyro or manual activation.

Ron, you gotta love wings on scales. You have seen my wings on my scale often, cause you are usually following me!!! :eek:

See you in Atlanta

Brian

Brian I seem to recall being in front of you at the 05 Internats after heat racing was over and I think at the 05 Spring Nats if I remember right :p See ya in a little over a week!

Wings....I love the looks of them. They are "real" looking. My Sport has had rear wings for years and still has the uprights this year. GO WINGS!!!!

Joe, my front canards are tied to my rudder servo so they flatten in the corner and are up in the straights B)

Better than any gyro or manual activation.

Ron, you gotta love wings on scales. You have seen my wings on my scale often, cause you are usually following me!!! :eek:

See you in Atlanta

Brian

Back