Whats your pick for a sport 20 hydro?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim leyde

Phil Thomas, Whiplash, or a Tuttle (spelling). I do understand that there may not have been as many Tuttle's sold as the others listed.

Thanks,

Tim

Last edited by a moderator:
Phil Thomas, Whiplash, or a Tuttle (spelling). I do understand that there may not have been as many Tuttle's sold as the others listed.

Thanks,

Tim

Depends on your personal preference, wood or glass. Bob Tuttle had several different designs before he stopped building boats, the one I have was the last design and If I'm not mistaken were only available already built, it is wood over foam construction. Some of his earlier boats he sold as kits.Phil Thomas has had at least three different 20 boats that I have seen, Big Bryon's Green PT SS21 had different sponsons,than the one I had, and mine had openings in the engine bay to insert flotation in the hull that his did not. Phil has released another model also with a different name. David Pruesse also makes sport 20 boats as do a few others. plus all the different plans available for scratch building.

Larry,

Have you ran that Tuttle? I know you have Dan your Phil Thomas. I'm just looking at other options. I love the sport 20 class!

I really like my Phil Thomas. However the longer I'm in this hobby I seam to appreciate the build of a wood hull.

No offence intended to any builders of fiberglass hulls by any means.

Tim

Larry,

Have you ran that Tuttle? I know you have Dan your Phil Thomas. I'm just looking at other options. I love the sport 20 class!

I really like my Phil Thomas. However the longer I'm in this hobby I seam to appreciate the build of a wood hull.

Tim
I just picked up a Blazer Sport 20 cant wait to get her wet. Phils boats are fast,but Big Daddy im coming fer ya :lol: :lol:

Larry,

Tim
I just picked up a Blazer Sport 20 cant wait to get her wet. Phils boats are fast,but Big Daddy im coming fer ya :lol: :lol:
Mike, we may have to try and get together to run over the July 4th weekend and see how my sport 20 compares to your Blazer. It could be interesting since I haven't done a 20 in almost 30 years :)

Larry,

Tim
Good luck Mikey, Dont forget Dean Werges little sport20 not many built but a fast boat. His, Dave Preusse sport20 and Chris Woods 20 whip are the only BRAND X boats that have been fast enough to beat me.

All the sport 20 boats are pretty even in speed.

I'll stick with my Phil Thomas Sport 20, only real problem is with the driver :)

The best thing about the Phil Thomas Sport 20 is the support he gives. I am new to the sport and Phil has been quick to send pictures and answer any question I ask him.

The best thing about the Phil Thomas Sport 20 is the support he gives. I am new to the sport and Phil has been quick to send pictures and answer any question I ask him.

Joe,

If you build and setup Phil's boats to his specifications that are clearly spelled out in his instruction packet they run really well right from the get go.

Larry,

Tim
Tim,

I have only had the Tuttle in the water one time...Had an issue with the carb barrel on my Mac binding and it took out the plastic geared Hitech throttle sevo that was in the boat. Also have a clear coat issue I need to resolve before the boat goes back in the water. I cleared the boat with Klasskote clear epoxy over House of Kolor Kandy, and the combination didn't adhere to each other properly. I can peel the clear off just like it's a layer of celophane. The boat ran really well for the short time that I ran it.

not to go off topic i had the same problem with klasscoat clear
According to the KlassKote web site the second coat should be applied within 48 hours of the first coat for best bonding. I have done a second coat after a week but sanded with 400 grit to get it to stick. If you send an email question to KlassKote you can expect a quick reply.

I absolutly LOVE my 20 WHIP!! Nicest wood kit ive EVER built! Runs GREAT! Turns GREAT! VERY stable....Phils boats are awesome too....i run his Sport 40 and Scale boats and they are the easist glass boats ive seen to put together and set up....just follow the instructions and you really cant go wrong....im sure his Sport 20 hull is the same way! :)

I've run the Phil Thomas and the Tuttle Sport .21 and they are somewhat comparable boats. The fact that Phil Thomas is always on here for support puts it over the top. I have heard good things about the Blazer boat.

Don't think there is a clear cut winner and its nice to have GOOD choices.

Robert

Larry,

Tim
Good luck Mikey, Dont forget Dean Werges little sport20 not many built but a fast boat. His, Dave Preusse sport20 and Chris Woods 20 whip are the only BRAND X boats that have been fast enough to beat me.

Phil

have you run against Kentley Porters 21 whip, that is a dam fast sport 20 boat...

i seen his go 82mph+ just by changing the prop(not oval prop).

all in all they are all great boats with the right set up, engine, pipe and prop combo.

regards Aaron

Phil

have you run against Kentley Porters 21 whip, that is a dam fast sport 20 boat...

i seen his go 82mph+ just by changing the prop(not oval prop).

all in all they are all great boats with the right set up, engine, pipe and prop combo.

regards Aaron
No, I have not, I think we are talking common race boats that go 55mph. Kentley can make boats fast that for sure.

Chris woods whip FLYS. That thing moves out forsure. Like Phil said, they are all pretty good hulls. I have a whip (which i havnt ran yet) and one of Phils's boats. I ran the SSP20 last year, and its a great boat! Stable, handles very well, and flys.

Chris woods whip FLYS. That thing moves out forsure. Like Phil said, they are all pretty good hulls. I have a whip (which i havnt ran yet) and one of Phils's boats. I ran the SSP20 last year, and its a great boat! Stable, handles very well, and flys.
Rodney,

I didn't get a chance to see Chris' s redesigned boat run this year,but his previous Whip was a rocket, and a multiple Indy champ winner.

Latest posts

Back