what is the best

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Mark,

Good to hear ya. And I agree the Mutt is the one to beat ( if you can :lol: )

Eric,

If I remember correct you came close to winning B-hydro with your sport, at the 04 nats in L.A. also.

And now for my excuse, :p At the 04 nats in the first lap of my first round in sport-2, a very poor repair job on motor case failed!! Damm repairman ( Oops that was me :lol: ) And that was just about as good as it got all week. :blink: :blink: :blink:

Don :)
Yeah Don the boat had 7.5 hydro won but the driver had a stupid thumb in his last heat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Mark I got that last sentence because I'm in the same boat. Kelly had a set of canoes that I now have. But what to put in it has kept me from getting started. Snake said he has a AA45 I know you had the 90 that went like snot, Know any pro's or con's about the 45? Thanks Greg

Hey Mark I got that last sentence because I'm in the same boat. Kelly had a set of canoes that I now have. But what to put in it has kept me from getting started. Snake said he has a AA45 I know you had the 90 that went like snot, Know any pro's or con's about the 45? Thanks Greg

CMB 45.. They are available and they are fast.. Just stay away from the fishmerman.. :huh:

OK I missed :huh: are these AA guys still around? Parts? Michael? Haven't seen him in a while. Greg

Mark, Eric I got a fresh Picco EXR to go in my Mutt this year. Got a worn out one too - just in case.lol

Mark

Hey Mark

He left that sentences folded up and on the card table.

04 Nats 7.5 hydro

Eric goes in the fourth round "I'm lean, I'm lean." as he is clicking it to the fat side. He was doing it all during the heat. He was lean alright. Fatten it up so much he ran out of fuel turning onto the front shute for the finish. The best part is, this is the second time he had done that. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Sorry buddy, could not leave that one alone. :p :p :p

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
How would the Phil Thomas boat rank in here ?
I think the last Namba nats it set fast time and won the sportII class.

The boat can be setup to race with out any guess work. It is a good design that can win races.

Doesn't take a killer motor to make it run. It can race in some very rough water conditions.

The Supersport45, Muck, Mutts, AC Pro, all race very well. The motor/ prop combo makes a big difference. The guy setting it up correctly and driving a smart race will have a winner no matter which boat you go with.

Yes hull design is a huge advantage but I would suggest you,look at the NAMBA records and see which hull holds every one. 1/16th mile SAW, 2 Lap, 1 mile competition,as well as several NAMBA national champinships and every NAMBA District 8 Championship season series since it has been invented.To see which one gives the driver the greatest advantage.
Add to that 2006 US1. Congratulations to Brian Schymik Sport 40 winner and Mutt II driver.

This is a very interesting subject. One that I have wondered about for several years. The only answer I could find was to get a new AC and a new Phil

Thomas and run them against each other. I also had the same question with engines so got a MAC 45 and a CMB 45. Changed engines in the boats and ran them against each other every way I could. End result? I could not find a difference. Set up right they both win races. Oh one difference. The MAC engine likes a X447 prop and the CMB likes a X450. Set up that way in either boat they are the same on the course. So go figure.

They will both be at the NATS. My son Mark will drive the Phil Thomas with the CMB and I will try to drive the AC with the MAC. Perry

Thanks Eric.

My Mutt drives great. I use a CMB 45 RS and a 1455 prop for heat racing.

It was the best sport 40 boat at the Nats, in my opinion. There were also 2 other wooden Mutts( mine is epoxy). David Hall's also made the top 5.

My SAW pass was about 62 MPH. I leaned to hard in the ovals and blew the plug apart.

Mark's instructions are right on.

Thanks

Brian

Thanks Eric.

My Mutt drives great. I use a CMB 45 RS and a 1455 prop for heat racing.

It was the best sport 40 boat at the Nats, in my opinion. There were also 2 other wooden Mutts( mine is epoxy). David Hall's also made the top 5.

My SAW pass was about 62 MPH. I leaned to hard in the ovals and blew the plug apart.

Mark's instructions are right on.

Thanks

Brian
I don't think with a US1 you have to qualify your statement with "in my opinion" ;) I have a huge amount of respect for US1 and what it means, that is a great accomplishment.

I am interested in your power plant. I always ran the Picco EXR as did Mark as we never found another package that would provide the torque that Sport boats like and still give you a nice throttle curve. This weekend at our NAMBA District 8 race I helped one of our guys that had a new CMB with a Zimmerman valve and it peaked my interest to the point I am looking to put together a new Mutt II for the 2007 NAMBA Nationals. Do you have the 3 blade prop on your boat? Are you able to slow way down for the mill and have the boat come back up without hesitation? I was hoping that Andy’s new motor would be available in time but with 2007 not too far off I may end up with the CMB. So how do you like the way the Mutt II drives? I was always impressed by the fact it was the first Sport 40 hull I drove that always does what you ask of it and if something dumb happened I could never blame the hull. Great job on the US1 one day I hope I get to come back and play with you guys in IMPBA land.

Yes Eric, I like the CMB RS. It is STOCK. Just opened the case, cleaned and lubed it and dropped it in. I use a Cooper pipe at 10 5/8".

As anyone that watches me race can tell you, I mill slowly and then punch it with 2 seconds left. I have instant acceleration with this setup and it corners strong. I use Mike's turn fin of course.

I only race with a 2 blade 1455. Some tweaks to the prop, but the heat race prop can do 60 and my 1457 SAW prop can do 63. 50% fuel.

Tried the 1655, but it lifted the rear too much. Also tried Mark A's 1455 3blade, but the two blade was faster by 1 mph.

Boat used to blow off last year, but I got the weight and balance right now.

See the boat at impba14.org in the sport 40 section.

I think you would be happy with the motor. Stu Barr sold me on it when he said it ran as well as his Piccos in his riggers. I do restrict the water, though.

Brian

Brian

Congratulations on your win!

Kind of high jacked this thread now didn't we.

I think we have now won about everything there is to win.

The boat can be tricky for some to set up but when it's right look out.

Brian

Congratulations on your win!

Kind of high jacked this thread now didn't we.

I think we have now won about everything there is to win.

The boat can be tricky for some to set up but when it's right look out.
Brians boat was and will be the one to beat in dist 14 and where ever he goes. Mark do you still make these awesome machines?

wow :eek: great response to this thread!!! brian i noticed that a lot of you guys in D14 run 1655 & 1455/2 & /3 blade props, why is this? do you guys run long pipes? is it the altitude? what pipe do you run on the rs 45?

Mark what is the best dept to run your 1455/2 prop

what about the whiplash? i know you guys are favoring the mutt-2, but is the whiplash in the house... where are the whiplash owners?

my only problem with the AC boat is that when you run really hard it tends to blow off the water. this happens when the fuel level drops and the nose gets light down the stretch. my boat doesn't have any weights so that's not the direction i want to go in. i was thinking of using Mark A's 1455/2 what strut dept should i start with? i'm currently running a cmb 45 cam with a parabolic pipe and a special 450 prop strut is at 1-1/4" it had 1/32" negative. any thoughts?

Back