We were hacked!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

TomMoorehouse

well we were hacked... more info later.... watch out for viruses. I believe I removed it now. have to go to work.

later

tom

Yea my Norton caught the Trojan Virus earlier when I logged on. I hope everybody had their Anti Virus Progs up to date!

Good Job Tom. I know that was a *****. :(

It didn't show up until way after I tried to get in. I had problems showing up like freezing and other weird things going on. My wife tried to use the computer while I was at work and it crashed on her.

Phil Thomas got ahold of me on AIM and told me about the problem as his was hacked also.

I did a full scan and may have found it, at least I'm hoping that it's gone. I'll run some other programs to see if they find anything else.

zone alarm was all over it , !!

go that little program... 2,226,632 firewall attacks in the last year already.

there were quite a few infections passed around , regarded as 'high risk', stuff to by my security

anti virus , anti spywere and a great firewall are needed on the net these days .. its sad think of all that data speed we are missing out on....

Jason

Last edited by a moderator:
i dont know how we got hacked but here some possibilities?

1 our host emailed to say they believe our cpanel and ftp password was compromised and they changed it. now that would seem to be the for sure bet but i believe it was for impba4.com cause our intlwaters password was not changed

2 ive added a couple things to the forum that might have reduced security like the arcade?

now what it was is someone added an iframe to the main index.php file of the forum. an iframe is kinda like a frame on a frames page except you can do a lot more with it. in this case it was a frame to another website that had viruses/trojans

it was luck that i saw it. I got on the site yesterday and saw the error message and wanted to see what was on line 179. when i downloaded the index.php file i immediately saw the iframe. I simply pointed my web browser to that page to see what it was and saw nothing. I only know it was a virus/trojan cause someone emailed to tell me. you never have those problems with freespire linux :)

oh well.... if anyone sees anymore viruses let me know as i wont see them. if it happens again i might remove the arcade?

thanks to everyone

tom

I'm curious how many of the people who noticed their system being attacked, even if caught by one of your security tools, were using MS IE to browse the site. Were any non-IE users attacked?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm curious how many of the people who noticed their system being attacked, even if caught by one of your security tools, were using MS IE to browse the site.
M/S Internet Explorer is the most attacked BY FAR, another reason why I don't use it. I have a personal preference to Netscape but regardless all my PC's at home are firewalled thru a router & run full time McAfee protection. I also run Spybot Search & Destroy a couple times a week on each to weed out the advertising bots & spyware & every time it finds no less than 4 or 5 spyware issues. You just can't be too safe these days ... :ph34r:

On the subject of Spyware Detection, for those of you running fairly current versions of Windows (XP, XP Pro, etc.) Microsoft has a free program called Defender. I installed it a few months ago and set it to scan my computer once a week. On the initial scan it found and eliminated a TON of spyware that my old Adaware prog hadn't touched. Here's a link to the download page.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

My Mac wasnt affected at all... :) I dont even have any anti virus programs installed - it's nice on this side of the pond also... :rolleyes: I think 5 years ago (old Mac OS 8 I belive) was the one and only virus I have ever got, it just made my old G3 a bit slow...

Hey Tom....Thanks for all the hard work. Don't know what we would do without you. Jim

anyone using firefox2 ?

I think i didn't notice anything except the error message. i scanned my system using updated norton and found nothing.

Back