Unlimited Hydroplanes Races

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlyinFinn

I've never been to an Unlimited Hydroplane Race. I've seen them on TV a few times, but now that I'm into racing scale hydroplanes, I thought it would be great to see a race in person! So, I'm posting this topic to get advice on good places to stay, good places to view the races from, must sees, places and best times to view boats, etc. I'd really like to go to the Tri-Cities Water Follies coming up soon on July 27-July29. So, anyone ever been there before? Anyone going? I'd just like to be a little better prepared before I go and try to "wing-it" on my own. So, bring it! Also, I'm wondering if there's a website that shows pictures from past events. I've been to the Tri-Cities Water Follies website and the SkidFin.com magazine website. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never been to an Unlimited Hydroplane Race. I've seen them on TV a few times, but now that I'm into racing scale hydroplanes, I thought it would be great to see a race in person! So, I'm posting this topic to get advice on good places to stay, good places to view the races from, must sees, places and best times to view boats, etc. I'd really like to go to the Tri-Cities Water Follies coming up soon on July 27-July29. So, anyone ever been there before? Anyone going? I'd just like to be a little better prepared before I go and try to "win-it" on my own. So, bring it! Also, I'm wondering if there's a website that shows pictures from past events. I've been to the Tri-Cities Water Follies website and the SkidFin.com magazine website. :)
You can go here www.abrahydroplanes.com but their site has been down for a fiew days or at least I cant get on. They should be up soon. The first race is this weekend in Evansville IN.

I've never been to an Unlimited Hydroplane Race. I've seen them on TV a few times, but now that I'm into racing scale hydroplanes, I thought it would be great to see a race in person! So, I'm posting this topic to get advice on good places to stay, good places to view the races from, must sees, places and best times to view boats, etc. I'd really like to go to the Tri-Cities Water Follies coming up soon on July 27-July29. So, anyone ever been there before? Anyone going? I'd just like to be a little better prepared before I go and try to "win-it" on my own. So, bring it! Also, I'm wondering if there's a website that shows pictures from past events. I've been to the Tri-Cities Water Follies website and the SkidFin.com magazine website. :)

Generally you can get better views of the racing at Tri-Cities than at Seattle. Seattle seems to be "the big race" for most of the competition, so you usually see more boats in Seattle than any where else. Plus if the weather is nice in Seattle, you'll see 50,000 half dressed women. If you go to the Seattle race on a good day, go very, very early.

Here is Chris's photo's of the Full Scale and 1/8th scale and some 1/10 scale hydro's. Been doing Unlimited races since the early 50's with my parants and I'll tell you the best is the Tri Cities to watch what ever you want to watch. Girl, hydro watching on the Kennewick side is second to none. 90-100 degree weather brings out the best in both.

http://cdenslow.smugmug.com/Hydroplane%20Racing

Here is Chris's photo's of the Full Scale and 1/8th scale and some 1/10 scale hydro's. Been doing Unlimited races since the early 50's with my parants and I'll tell you the best is the Tri Cities to watch what ever you want to watch. Girl, hydro watching on the Kennewick side is second to none. 90-100 degree weather brings out the best in both.
http://cdenslow.smugmug.com/Hydroplane%20Racing
Anyone coming this way ? i have pit passes! Mike Ps read this from our daily news Small boats seem to be the right fit for Wright

By GORDON ENGELHARDT

, Courier & Press staff writer

464-7518 or [email protected]

Thursday, June 28, 2007

IF YOU GO

THUNDER ON THE OHIO

Friday

Unlimited hydroplane practice, 8:30-10:30 a.m.; 12:20-2:30 p.m., 4:40-6 p.m.

Saturday

Unlimited hydroplane practice, 9:15-10 a.m.; practice and qualifications, 11:20 a.m.-12:10 p.m.; practice, 1:40-2:20 p.m; heat races 4:20 and 4:45 p.m .

Sunday

Unlimited practice and Thunder qualifying, 8-8:45 a.m.; heat races 10:35, 11 a.m.; 12:45, 1:20 p.m.; provisional 3:30 p.m.; final 5:10 p.m.

Dennis Wright learned more than a history lesson from Ed Cooper Jr.

"I grew up down the road from Ed (in Posey County)," Wright said. "I hung around his boat shop. Ed was always good for stories of My Gypsy, Bill Cantrell and Graham Heath when he was growing up and working on crews in Madison (Ind.). He had a number of childhood stories."

Cooper left Madison to attend the University of Evansville, later teaching Wright history and social studies at North Posey Junior High.

STORY TOOLS

E-mail story

Comments

iPod friendly

Printer friendly

RELATED STORIES

Food, music, air shows and boat racing are just the beginning of annual celebration's offerings

More Gleaner Sports

Henderson's Grace will play in final of State Am

Starns new Cols coach

Juan Pablo saves tires, fuel for win

"Even after high school, I looked up to Ed as a teacher and mentor," Wright said.

He may have caught the boat racing bug from Cooper, owner of the piston-powered U-3 Master Tire.

Wright will drive the Superior Miss, one of eight 2.5 Litre Stock class boats that will complement tthe unlimiteds in an American Boat Racing Association two-race mini points series at Thunder on the Ohio this weekend and the Indiana Governor's Cup July 6-8 at Madison.

Wright will drive the Superior Miss, one of eight 2.5 Litre Stock class boats that will complement tthe unlimiteds in an American Boat Racing Association two-race mini points series at Thunder on the Ohio this weekend and the Indiana Governor's Cup July 6-8 at Madison.

The 2.5 Litre Stock class uses Ford 2,300 cc Pinto engines from the 1970s, reaching speeds approaching 100 mph on the straightaways. They are 14-to-16 feet long, about half the size of the unlimiteds.

Driving such small and light crafts can get a litle hairy in racing conditions, said Wright, whose team is based in Mount Vernon, Ind. He lives in New Harmony and works as a mold design engineer in Evansville.

Evansville resident Tom Bergman, one of Wright's crew members in 2005, purchased his own boat, Team Hot Shot, in 2006 and drives as well. Like Wright, Bergman was a former student of Cooper's at North Posey Junior High.

Wright started building and racing radio controlled hydroplanes at the age of 14. He raced in numerous regonal races for more than 20 years, including Little Thunder.

As his hobby became more serious, he started attending and winning more races. He won the Sport 40 class points championship in 2002, 2003 and 2004.

He started racing the 2.5 Litres in 2005, winning the high point championship for the Marine Prop Riders, an inboard racing club in Detroit.

"I chose the 2.5 Litre class because it is reasonably economical

hey mike,i'd take you up on those pit passes but,i might be having surgery now on my back .some of you guys might have noticed me walking one sided on sunday,well,the last time i threw in Jose's twin on saturday it went out along with my back but,i kept going,(a true dedicated r-c boat racer)thanks again for a great time last weekend,and we'll see you guys in september.

mark

hey mike,i totally forgot what i was actually going to ask in the first place,did the r-c race make the papers last week or news? sorry about that but i'm on good i mean strong drugs for pain.take care

mark

hey mike,i totally forgot what i was actually going to ask in the first place,did the r-c race make the papers last week or news? sorry about that but i'm on good i mean strong drugs for pain.take caremark
We made the front page and had good tv coverage also thanks....Mike

Hey, Finn here again, does anybody know if there is any national television coverage planned or scheduled for any of the events on the tour? I check out the APBA website and other links but have yet to find any mention of TV coverage. BTW, thanks for the replies so far everyone!

Can someone tell me where the races take place from looking at theis map?

Kennewick Area Map

When and where can you view the boats tipped up on their trailers?

AMEN Brother! :lol: But, I just want to look at the "boats" ;) Walking about with sunglasses on will definitely be a requirement for watching those beautiful girls! Miss LLumar, Miss Oh Boy Oberto, Miss.... Oh MISS!........ :blink:

Hey, Finn here again, does anybody know if there is any national television coverage planned or scheduled for any of the events on the tour? I check out the APBA website and other links but have yet to find any mention of TV coverage. BTW, thanks for the replies so far everyone! Can someone tell me where the races take place from looking at theis map?

Kennewick Area Map

When and where can you view the boats tipped up on their trailers?
The race is west of 395 (blue bridge). the boats come in on thursday, the pits are just west of the blue bridge. No charge on thursday, five bucks on friday. Be prepared to have your car searched for guns and booze on saturday and sunday.Good luck trying to find a room this late. Any other ?'s give me a pm. been going over there for ten years.

Ralph

I think KNDU will be doing there live race again and then there is all kinds of Seattle coverage. Not sure about National coverage but the last four races last year were, can't remember by whom right now.

Chances are they won't announce a national TV deal until later in the season if there is going to be one. They did that last year when Enviroply stepped in and sponsored the TV coverage. They only did 4 races though. KIRO did Seattle local and KNDU did Tri Cities local as they usually do. They have a production company shooting and editing a few races it's just being shopped for a sponsor to get in on TV. Hopefully they can do better than OLN this time.

Back