UL-1 Water Jacket

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grim-I think I follow, but you may need to come out to Az to show me. How about March 13-15th?? There may be a few other FE racers around that weekend that could use a hands on demonstration.

I'll bring the 123 blocks, but you might want to bring your own hull so you can test the water tightness of your newly installed cooler while the boat is running on the water.

Grim-I think I follow, but you may need to come out to Az to show me. How about March 13-15th?? There may be a few other FE racers around that weekend that could use a hands on demonstration.
I'll bring the 123 blocks, but you might want to bring your own hull so you can test the water tightness of your newly installed cooler while the boat is running on the water.

I most certaintly agree with Mr. Newland. It would be fitting if AQ would cover your expenses for this important field research venture ;)

I most certaintly agree with Mr. Newland. It would be fitting if AQ would cover your expenses for this important field research venture ;)

So I'm clear, you should hold the motor with your left hand while applying torque with your right hand, correct??
This FE stuff sure is complicated. :rolleyes:

Hey Bill!

Glad to see instructions of some sort for fitting the jacket. Did you buy one of these motors? If you did, what boat are you going to use it in? Just got mine for my Insanity. Hope it gets the rigger moving! We will see...

-Kent

Guys,

I bought the entire power train from the UL-1 Superior to try in one of my hand built wooden LSH boats.

I like the idea of a lower cost brushless set up, and can't wait to try it out.

The water jacket, on the other hand, is not so outstanding. At least for us dumb ole hicks with no engineering skill here in Texas! I struggled with the jacket installation and can tell you plainly that I am not impressed with the execution. The initial design might have been OK, but the Chinese manufactured product is not. No installation instructions were included with the equipment, and the manner in which the O-ring seals have to be made up is awkward, to say the best.

In short, I don't like the design or the execution of the product and I am not willing to put my expensive equipment at risk from a leaking water jacket.

Beware.

Has anyone tried to simply put some teflon tape on the threads of this water jacket before assembly? It appears to me that, if you followed the rest of the directions, the only place that water could leak from is through the threads... A few wraps of teflon tape on there would seal them up and also tighten the thread tolerances a tad... Seems like a simple an reasonable thing to try...

Guys,
I bought the entire power train from the UL-1 Superior to try in one of my hand built wooden LSH boats.

I like the idea of a lower cost brushless set up, and can't wait to try it out.

The water jacket, on the other hand, is not so outstanding. At least for us dumb ole hicks with no engineering skill here in Texas! I struggled with the jacket installation and can tell you plainly that I am not impressed with the execution. The initial design might have been OK, but the Chinese manufactured product is not. No installation instructions were included with the equipment, and the manner in which the O-ring seals have to be made up is awkward, to say the best.

In short, I don't like the design or the execution of the product and I am not willing to put my expensive equipment at risk from a leaking water jacket.

Beware.

Actually its a simple install once the motor is out of the boat (whatever it may be). I had and old motor stand from my old RC car stuff witch made it a little easier. Clean simple and to the point. These instructions are needed though for most people. Everything should come with instructions nowadays (though many of us never read them :lol: ) I ran a simple pressure test with a compressor and at 28lbs and it blew the exit line off that was capped. Thats a tight seal in my opinion.

Keep up the good work Grim!

Jr.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ran a simple pressure test with a compressor and at 28lbs and it blew the exit line off that was capped. Thats a tight seal in my opinion.

Keep up the good work Grim!

Jr.

Wow! 28 psi is a good seal! Hmmm...Where did I put those popsicle sticks?

Latest posts

Back