u50 - short two stars :(

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thx ray

we only kid Glenn cuz we like him...he has been sooo helpful on my build...he is a good friend :)

but don't let him know i sed that
Never met Glenn, helped me with a lot of info. That's what's this forum is all about. ;)
lol Ray...

whether I care to admit it or not...Glenn knows a hell of alot more about scale than i do :)
One of these days I'll finish my U-50 Pit Stop from Newton plans. B)
Hey Ray..

is your u50 a Jones hull as well? this American Spirit is so weird..if you compare the right and left deck contour, the outside sponson deck dives toward the water way steeper than the other side, and is 1/8" deeper than the inside running surface...Ron Jones had all kinds of ideas he was trying out on the '91 spirit and im wondering if your hull has similar "experiments" going on...lol...

apparently the 91 spirit was too heavy for its own good, while it won Madison in 91, cuz the winston eagle was DQ'd, it was a consistently slow boat...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZTlittZ23w&feature=channel
Len, yes it's a Jones hull. You want weird, a tri wing that Jr. fought with for a couple of years. :rolleyes:

thx ray

we only kid Glenn cuz we like him...he has been sooo helpful on my build...he is a good friend :)

but don't let him know i sed that
Never met Glenn, helped me with a lot of info. That's what's this forum is all about. ;)
lol Ray...

whether I care to admit it or not...Glenn knows a hell of alot more about scale than i do :)
One of these days I'll finish my U-50 Pit Stop from Newton plans. B)
Hey Ray..

is your u50 a Jones hull as well? this American Spirit is so weird..if you compare the right and left deck contour, the outside sponson deck dives toward the water way steeper than the other side, and is 1/8" deeper than the inside running surface...Ron Jones had all kinds of ideas he was trying out on the '91 spirit and im wondering if your hull has similar "experiments" going on...lol...

apparently the 91 spirit was too heavy for its own good, while it won Madison in 91, cuz the winston eagle was DQ'd, it was a consistently slow boat...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZTlittZ23w&feature=channel
Len, yes it's a Jones hull. You want weird, a tri wing that Jr. fought with for a couple of years. :rolleyes:

wow Ray, purty boat!

ok..this is the boat you have plugs/molds for in your gallery right? should be a good running boat based on what i have heard about tri wings from Doug Shepherd

I ended up leaving the weird deck contour/top as drawn by roger newton, but taking out the deeper running surfaces/bottom so it sets up like a normal boat...lol (don ferrette helped me with that part of the build)

i was wondering if your plans had asymmetrical running surfaces as well

if they are asymmetric, are you leaving them alone?

Last edited by a moderator:
Buy asymmetric, do you mean the canoes are identical. the answer is no. Looking from the rear the left is wider then the right. Did some mods to the ride surface with the help of Doug and Saymikey. Other major change was the center wing was set at 0 to ride surface. Don F said it would have been a kite if setup as drawn on plans.

i was actually interested in the depth of the sponsons, and i understand outside sponson is wider than the inside sponson....sounds as if some of Senior's ideas on the spirit were carried over to the pitstop...btw, you do amazing work Ray :)

more decals waiting for stars....no way this boat is done by saturday's race...not warm enough to shoot clear in northern california...rofl

Mike's care package arrived...decals complete..waiting for clear...60 degrees and sunny predicted on friday...

Very nice boat. The American Spirit is one of my favorite boats from the early 90's. Almost every boat from '91 makes me smile. Are you guys in Seattle? Love to come see you race. Thanks.

Ken,

we are in Northern California...

I also love that era...there were alot of very cool boats in the early 90's

just finished shooting final clear....took me awhile to learn about my new gun, new airbrush and new paints (ppg is great)..buts it finally done...

after it cures, ima install hardware and go burn fuel

Hey Len,

Looks GREAT !!!

Finally made it. Whew, aren't you glad that's behind you ??? Anxious to hear the "when wet" reports. Good luck my Friend.

I see you went the Omni route. I used to use it , but after my last two pints cost me $185. - - I'm going to try the PPG Shopline

I like good beer - in addition to - good paint. Myers Dark Rum not bad either. Something had to give. The Omni Lost !!! Har, Har !!!

CHEERS !!! Bob

Hey Ray..the stars on either side of Mark Evans name were the ones missing..

Bob...i agree....i would NEVER sacrifice good rum for paint :)

reinstalling hardware..see how it goes, breakin in motors, so im not expecting much, if i see something worth posting at the pond..i'll put up video

more later,

Len

glenn..

come out with me and alfred sunday..n bring the pak

still installing all the hardware...

took me 2 freakin days to do the dam windshield...rofl..

you would miss the race :(

I'm just curious if I'm the only dummy to do this.

The first time for Len's boat to hit the water and I want to give it a good launch. The rear tiplet smacks my leg and drops like a rock on the water. :eek:

IMG_09291024x683.jpg

whoa Glenn

go easy man..it's only a toy...i was more worried that you might have hurt yourself

ima try to figure out how to solder that ferrule better so testing can be more productive...see you sunday..i may go out saturday as well.....if i can find some1 to run with

thx for comin out, as i mentioned..was nice to have some1 there who had experience running a similar motor...

can you bring the pak this time?...hint hint... :)

I'm just curious if I'm the only dummy to do this.

The first time for Len's boat to hit the water and I want to give it a good launch. The rear tiplet smacks my leg and drops like a rock on the water. :eek:

IMG_09291024x683.jpg

Man Lennard, that thing looks sweet! I know I have said that before, but its deserving of another. I thought Don F's scale, or the 82 Executone (cant remember who on here that one was Mike L maybe?) were my favorites, but this bad boy is right up there with em! Very good job my friend. B)

Back