U-8 Executone Telephone

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kez

Anyone has a 1985 U-8 Executone Telephone? Please post some photos. I'd like to see the cowl and the cockpit.

Thanks,

Actually, you could look for pictures of the 84-85 Executone as well as the 86 Mr Pringles as they all should be the same. In 1987, the boat was changed to a turbine so the cockpit and cowl arrangements would be different. Here's a picture in the Newton Marine website that may get you started. Almost looks like a copy of the 1983 Atlas if you ask me

http://www.newtonmarine.com/watermark.php?src=cw3/assets/product_full/137-d.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
"it's a small pic but a good one?..lol"

Lacor,

The boat in your picture is the MHR 8255 1982 U-8 Executone. Kez is looking for MHR 8408 '84 -'85 U-8 Executone piston packer with tail feathers, I believe - - as in HJ's Newton pic. CHEERS !!! Bob

And I wonder how Bob knew that? :lol:

There was another boat that carried Executone sponsorship, that being the MHR 7495 hull, more comonly known as the U-95. In 1982 it was run without tails and in 1983 it was run with twin tails and wing

Actually, you could look for pictures of the 84-85 Executone as well as the 86 Mr Pringles as they all should be the same. In 1987, the boat was changed to a turbine so the cockpit and cowl arrangements would be different. Here's a picture in the Newton Marine website that may get you started. Almost looks like a copy of the 1983 Atlas if you ask me

http://www.newtonmarine.com/watermark.php?src=cw3/assets/product_full/137-d.jpg

They are so close to me that im painting my Dumas AVL as the 84 Exec.....there are dimensional differences between the two real boats, but they are so close in looks as models.....canards are a little different also....

Yes Larcor, that one. The only other hull to be sponsored by Executone was the 7495 hull, more commonly known as the U-95. It ran as the Executone in 1982 without wing or tails and again in 1983 with wing and tails

Close Bill? Here you go:

Atlas is 1" deeper in hull depth and has a 6" longer afterplane

Exec is 6" longer overall and has a 7" deeper picklefork

If your hulls stays within these dimensions it can be either one

Length 42.5-43.75"

Width 18.23-22.28"

Tunnel 9.90-12.10"

Hull Depth 3.15-3.71"

Afterplane 22.28-26.40"

Picklefork 13.50-15.54"

Thanks all for your replies. You guys must have ready my mind as I am trying to build the Dumas AVL as the Executone Telephone ;-)

Actually Larcor your 82 U-8 boat photo comes in handy as well. I am trying to make a cowl for a Mutt I and I thought the Mutt I would make for a nice "standoff" scale of the boat.

Thanks again.

Since you said that, I went back and added the rest of the hull specs to my last post. Keeping within the ranges given, your boat should be legal anywhere in the country

Since you said that, I went back and added the rest of the hull specs to my last post. Keeping within the ranges given, your boat should be legal anywhere in the country

Kez, ive been messin with mine for almost 20 years....ive got the white base coat on the hull itself and some blue..there are 3 shades of blue on Exec's....real FUN to tape off! :lol: If youd like ill post some pics of what i have done...if you havent put the running pads on the sponson bottoms, DONT DO IT! The transom depth is too deep as it is and you will have a hard time getting the back of the boat out of the water...unfortunatly i put mine on and painted the boat and now im going to have to burn them off! Im also going to attach flaps on the trailing edge of the canards as the real boat had em....I also have an 82 EXEC that i race....its a Phil Thomas 82U55 hull....I LIKE EXEC's! :)OOPS! wrong person! :blink:

Yes Larcor, that one. The only other hull to be sponsored by Executone was the 7495 hull, more commonly known as the U-95. It ran as the Executone in 1982 without wing or tails and again in 1983 with wing and tails

Close Bill? Here you go:

Atlas is 1" deeper in hull depth and has a 6" longer afterplane

Exec is 6" longer overall and has a 7" deeper picklefork

If your hulls stays within these dimensions it can be either one

Length 42.5-43.75"

Width 18.23-22.28"

Tunnel 9.90-12.10"

Hull Depth 3.15-3.71"

Afterplane 22.28-26.40"

Picklefork 13.50-15.54"
Thats GOOD info HJ....i was never really 100% sure....until now! Thanks!

Just a litle cross checking on dimensions in the MHR. I knew they were close, but that was almost rediculous. As I said, almost an Atlas Knock off, sort of like the sponsons on the Leland boats, very similar to the Jones Asymetrical sponsons, but not quite splashes. Guess you could say it's all good :rolleyes:

it's a small pic but a good one?..lol
2 differnt boats HOW BOUT THAT MUVALONG...... it was mine at one time maybe I should do another.....

Yah Shure! P.T. Sport 40 Round nose!
biggrin.gif

Glenn

Kez, ive been messin with mine for almost 20 years....ive got the white base coat on the hull itself and some blue..there are 3 shades of blue on Exec's....real FUN to tape off! :lol: If youd like ill post some pics of what i have done...if you havent put the running pads on the sponson bottoms, DONT DO IT! The transom depth is too deep as it is and you will have a hard time getting the back of the boat out of the water...unfortunatly i put mine on and painted the boat and now im going to have to burn them off! Im also going to attach flaps on the trailing edge of the canards as the real boat had em....I also have an 82 EXEC that i race....its a Phil Thomas 82U55 hull....I LIKE EXEC's! :)OOPS! wrong person! :blink:
Bill,

Please post some pictures of your Exec. I'd like to see it.

I am not that far into it yet. So you suggest not to put the running pads. Do I leave the running surface plain? Also, did you build the "recess" at the transom? I am wondering if I should skip that as well.

I like the paint scheme of the Exec...

Kez

Mike, that one is the U-95 version from 1982. Looks to me like they filled in the front to reduce the piclefork depth. It's a very ugly boat in this configuration in my opinion

Bill,

Please post some pictures of your Exec. I'd like to see it.

I am not that far into it yet. So you suggest not to put the running pads. Do I leave the running surface plain? Also, did you build the "recess" at the transom? I am wondering if I should skip that as well.

I like the paint scheme of the Exec...

Kez
Leave out the recess at the transom. I don't know why Dumas did that since the full sized Atlas has a flat bottom all the way across the back. I've had the chance to check out both the 7701 and 8200 versions of the Atlas at the museum, so I can attest to the flat bottom. I can also tell you that the 7701 is right now being stripped down and assessed for rebuild potential in the museum workshop. If you want to help, they would probably take cash donations to help cover the costs

Latest posts

Back