Turn Fin location for a round nose ?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Reisinger

I have a question that I am puzzled about.

When we set up a rigger we try to set the BACK of turn fin 3/8" to 3/4" infront of the balance point,

And this has always netted the result of a boat that only requires 5% to 7% rudder deflection.

Now I am building a round nose Karlson hull useing the Less Ruggles book as a guide, With the hull built the way it is the book calls for a balance point of 96 percent of the lever {back of the prop to back of the sponson}

What would be the optmen position for the turn fin ? >front of fin< >back of fin<

Would you shoot for putting the front of the fin 3/8 to 3/4 behind the balance point ??

Rick Reisinger { still learning at 55 yr's old }

That should be good just mount the fin at the right edge of the sponson pad. What kind of fin will you use a straight angled one or a curved one? Some of that info is out of date. You scratch building a hull? You cant beat the Timex :lol:

That should be good just mount the fin at the right edge of the sponson pad. What kind of fin will you use a straight angled one or a curved one? Some of that info is out of date. You scratch building a hull? You cant beat the Timex :lol:

curved

PHIL

I AM BUILDING A Hartzog THUNDER BOAT {GOT TO SEE IF I CAN FOLLOW YOU AROUND THE CORSE} AT LEAST WITHIN A LAP.

If i wanted to run with your timex I would have to buy your's {d-m that thing is fassst }

I enjoyed backing you at hobart + madison . {one of thease days we need to talk about 1 of your round noses for me }

I have some plans from Les Ruggles. I did not know there was a book. I would be interested in obtaining a copy if that is possible. Where did you find yours? Thanks

Kevin

When we set up a rigger we try to set the BACK of turn fin 3/8" to 3/4" infront of the balance point,

And this has always netted the result of a boat that only requires 5% to 7% rudder deflection.

Now I am building a round nose Karlson hull useing the Less Ruggles book as a guide, With the hull built the way it is the book calls for a balance point of 96 percent of the lever {back of the prop to back of the sponson}

What would be the optmen position for the turn fin ? >front of fin< >back of fin<

Would you shoot for putting the front of the fin 3/8 to 3/4 behind the balance point ??

You got Steve Ball in your back yard cant you just walk across the alley and get him to help! :lol: :lol: Where is the cg? mine is about an inch behind the cg. Just make sure you can add weight all the way up front.. Put that fin as far outside as you can get it

You got Steve Ball in your back yard cant you just walk across the alley and get him to help! :lol: :lol: Where is the cg? mine is about an inch behind the cg. Just make sure you can add weight all the way up front.. Put that fin as far outside as you can get it
Everybody is building a T boat, seems like there will be good racing this year.

Phill

Do you think if I painted mine RED and done it up as MISS TIMEX and let it set close to the water while you ran your 1/8 scale it would learn what she should due ??

I WISHED IT WOULD

HAVE A GRATE CHRISTMAS

RICK REISINGER

Phill

Do you think if I painted mine RED and done it up as MISS TIMEX and let it set close to the water while you ran your 1/8 scale it would learn what she should due ??

I WISHED IT WOULD

HAVE A GRATE CHRISTMAS

RICK REISINGER
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now thats funny!!!! I was thinking on building a .40 thunderboat??But I think I got my work cut out for me this winter.. Got a areomarine.21 stinger rigger hull and a dumas.40 eagel to build...might be a very bizzy girl this winter..Oh phil Joe got his 1/8 gas hydro ready to paint.. doing U-1 Oberto....

Last edited by a moderator:
Now wait, there isn't a .40 Thunderboat class. I think you're refering to a Sport 40 roundnose. That and an Eagle huh? Yes, you will be busy and hopefully asking lots of questions or you will end up with two piles of firewod. I wouldn't go any further than pulling the instructions out of the box without asking questions. You're not dealing with Pro Boats here so you have to approach these totally different. One thing to remember is that weight is your enemy in any wood build. Sorry for hijacking the thread Rick

Now wait, there isn't a .40 Thunderboat class. I think you're refering to a Sport 40 roundnose. That and an Eagle huh? Yes, you will be busy and hopefully asking lots of questions or you will end up with two piles of firewod. I wouldn't go any further than pulling the instructions out of the box without asking questions. You're not dealing with Pro Boats here so you have to approach these totally different. One thing to remember is that weight is your enemy in any wood build. Sorry for hijacking the thread Rick
No Duuu about weight is your enemy in wood boats...I'd thought thunder boats were round&shovel nose hydro's?

Now that's what you get for thinking. Obviously you know all you need to know about wood boats by your reply so forget I said anything.

Now that's what you get for thinking. Obviously you know all you need to know about wood boats by your reply so forget I said anything.
HJ you forgot that I have a wooden boat that sombody else built and it got alittle bit of weight to it...working with fiberglass hulls are the samething,to much weigh can hurt them too..and knock it off please .. I didnt ask for your 2cents.and throwing Joe's friends thread off eighter...Rick forgive me on what I'd said on your thread please...back on with the topic please.....

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back