SPORT 40 TURNFIN

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimothyJones

Supporting Member
The turnfin on a sport40 or maybe even a hydro in general should be sharpened/beveled only on the starboard side!!

Is this a true statement? Does anybody have a opinion on this?

I made one myself and it seems to be lifting the sponson, is it because I only sharpened the starboard side?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts

Tim Jones

Tim, If the sponson is lifting, I would bet that you do not have the fin parallel to the bottom of the boat.

Yes you only sharpen the outside edge.

KP

Last edited by a moderator:
Tim, I have to agree with KP. Clamp a 4' piece of aluminum angle or square tube (1") to the turn fin and take measurements at the front of the boat and then at the back. Measure from the angle to the inside edge of the tunnel. As KP said, if it's lifting, chances are that the turn fin isn't straight. It needs to be straight, not just close.

Good luck.

Dave

If the fin has a hook in it then the bend of the hook must be parallel to the water surface. I've seen hydros dive underwater or launch into the air if the bend is not aligned correctly. If the alighment of the fin blade is not parallel to the hull centerline (not the sides of the hull) it won't unhook or dive - it will veer right or left.

If you are not sure of the Turn fin you have you can have Dick Tendell with

Virginia Craftsman, Inc to make you one for that boat. He is one of the best in

making trun fins you will not find a better one anywhere. His email is [email protected]

Thanks for reading

Brian

Mike hughes make a good all around Sport 40 Turn fin. It comes sharpend and bent. It has beened used on alot of winning boats.

Robert Holand

You could also try Mike Hallam... He is on this site also and can be contacted at Hallam Marine Hobbies !!!!

The turnfin on a sport40 or maybe even a hydro in general should be sharpened/beveled only on the starboard side!!

Is this a true statement? Does anybody have a opinion on this?

I made one myself and it seems to be lifting the sponson, is it because I only sharpened the starboard side?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts

Tim Jones
Hi Tim, You never said if it was straight or curved. If it's straight set it on a 12-15 degree angle -and put the fin on the inboard side of the bracket.(straight or curved). Hope this helps.

Glenn

Back