Sport 40 Running problem

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samuel Hagan JR

What would cause the left front sponson to to ride lower then the right sponson?

When at speed it seems to be okay. When trying to get on plane the left front sponson wants to dig down.

Is the turn fin lifting the right one causing this are the turn fin and rudder both straight down

The rudder is up and down. It's on the left rear. This is David's Sport 40 by the way. The Turn fin is the same as before just a weird characteristic.

Take the turn fin off and drive it easy around the turns if it stops in a straight line its the fin

Also is the Motor on a slight offset or is it right down the centerline?

Rudder is straight up and down. No offset to the motor.

It's like when you take off before the boat planes the left sponson sags in the water.

Also Check to make sure the riding pad is sharp as well. (Round sucks down and a sharp edge pushes up. Do you have the fuel tank to the left or right side? Doug Shepherd

Last edited:
Also Check to make sure the riding pad is sharp as well. (Round sucks down and a sharp edge pushes up. Do you have the fuel tank to the left or right side? Doug Shepherd
Hey Doug this is on David's Boat. He hasn't touched anything to it since he put it together a billion years ago. The ride pads are good. This just happened out of the blue. Real weird.

Sam,

Check the strut alignment. Maybe its twisted putting pressure on the outside sponson. Also try a different prop. Maybe a blade is bent creating extra lift. If it didn't have this problem in the past. something has been bumped or dinged.

Good Luck

Bert Dygert

Last edited by a moderator:
We checked everything today.

Ride Pad -Good

Strut - Good

Rudder - Good

Turn Fin Bracket is Bent slightly outwards.

Block sand the sponsons. Any rounded edges that make contact with the water will suck the sponson down. It's a common problem especially if you painted the bottom and did not block sand after.

Block sand the sponsons. Any rounded edges that make contact with the water will suck the sponson down. It's a common problem especially if you painted the bottom and did not block sand after.
The paint has been the same on it since it was built. Maybe 10 years ago. The problem started Last year. The ride pads are in great condition. There not rounded. Nice and sharp.

The paint has been the same on it since it was built. Maybe 10 years ago. The problem started Last year. The ride pads are in great condition. There not rounded. Nice and sharp.
As other's have suggested,, look long and hard at the sponson bottom's... Something HAS changed.

Have you put a straight edge on the bottoms of the sponsons? Fore to aft. Look for low spots in the riding surface's

As I think it was Bert Dygert suggested,, F/G expands & contracts,,, and a 10 year + old F/G boat is Probably "out-a-shape"

Di you run the boat without the turn fin, as suggested by Mike Schindler? theslightens bend in a tmpermental boat will make a BIG difference.

Okay, we have went through a lot of good advise. But we havent checked the last mmm, I would say 4 to six inches of the bottom of the hull and insure that it is straight all the way to the transom. being a 3 point, from what you said, once the boat is up and the rear is flying, its fine. It sounds like there may be a hook in the bottom. You should be able to sand it true just like any other ride surface just remember it is probably thinner there. Like Doug said, fiberglass moves, and that boat has spent some time on its stand. Hope that helps, Ken

I'll go over the bottom with a straight edge like suggested and check it. If I can ill take some pictures. That or I'll take it with me to Madison Sinday and have the builder take a gander at it.

Thanks for all the input guys. This is his favorite boat to drive and it handles like a dream when it runs.

Back