Sport 40 prop

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
None taken Glenn.

I've been a little surprised that more haven't said 50mm of various pitches rather than the 447 myself. Having three or four sport 40s, I'm learning some thing as well

Last edited by a moderator:
None taken Glenn.

I've been a little surprised that more haven't said 50mm pf various pitches rather than the 447 myself. Having three or four sport 40s, I'm learning some thing as well
Glad I did not offend. I'm thinking along the same lines. A healthy motor should pull a 48-52 MM prop with 3" of pitch even at 4000' elevation. I try to build as light as I can and keep the balance point 1/2"behind sponson transoms. Still haven't heard a word from anyone who has even tried a 1650.

Glenn

Heres what Octura suggests for sport 40 hulls.

SPORT .40 HYDRO X447/3, X448,X450, X450/3, X452/3,X548,X646, X646/3, X648

From what i understand X=low lift first number is pitch ratio and second numbers are diameter. X low lift, 4=pitch ratio 47=dia in mm

1400 series props have med lift, weight moved towards the tips, reconmended for surface drive.

X400 are low lift low weight at tip of blades

X600 are slightly higher in lift than X4 series and the tips are more squared

1600 is a med-high lift prop

1700 series are highest lift props

generally a smaller diam prop would be used for low nitro/breaking in engines, and larger diam, used for higher nitro. Ususally within 3mm or so. For example use a x440 for break in/low nitro x445 & x448 if using higher nitro.

Last edited by a moderator:
None taken Glenn.

I've been a little surprised that more haven't said 50mm pf various pitches rather than the 447 myself. Having three or four sport 40s, I'm learning some thing as well
Glad I did not offend. I'm thinking along the same lines. A healthy motor should pull a 48-52 MM prop with 3" of pitch even at 4000' elevation. I try to build as light as I can and keep the balance point 1/2"behind sponson transoms. Still haven't heard a word from anyone who has even tried a 1650.

Glenn
Glen i have to say i was a little hesitant to say but on my old Whiplash(the yellow one in my gallery) i tried all the rigger props i had in my box......1657 1460(reduced to 57mm) 1655, 1455/3 and 1455/2 at my home lake i could have pulled all these props i got my whiplash up to 66mph(on gps) with the 1657 but the pipe had to be a little longer to pull it off the shore the top speed is great but the launching is a pain what i found was that the 1455/3 and 2 were the best props. with the high lift props the strut has to be very high something like 1/2" to the bottom and some negative angle of the strut from the bottom of the boat or else the nose will submerge. in 2008 i took the same boat to the winternats in Florida and learned that those props didn't work. i needed a smaller wheel like a 646/3. i can't speak on the 1650 but i do know for sure that the 1455 is a great prop you just need to reduce the diameter and take some cup out, i'm going to test it on my new whip and let you know what i find

At an elevation 4000 feet and an adjusted altitude in the summer months of 6000-8000 feet(guessing here) you will never pull the props that some are suggesting. I ended up with a X447/2 with additional pitch. Pipe was 10 1/2 inches. The 1452 and 1455 were decent props as well. Strut depth played a lot into the equation as well.

Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

Robert Holland

Mile High in Elevation

At an elevation 4000 feet and an adjusted altitude in the summer months of 6000-8000 feet(guessing here) you will never pull the props that some are suggesting. I ended up with a X447/2 with additional pitch. Pipe was 10 1/2 inches. The 1452 and 1455 were decent props as well. Strut depth played a lot into the equation as well.

Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

Robert Holland

Mile High in Elevation
Good to hear from the Mile High Club! The two P.T. SS 45's at our lake were running best with the Prather S-230's pipe around 11" at the the end of last summer. My new boat is one of Phil's round nose's and setup will likely be diferrent. Gonna follow Phil's instructions on strut depth- 1 1/8" bottom of hull to bottom of strut. Boat is still at the painters as we speak
sad.gif
. Look forward to seeing you later this year.

Glenn

Why's that? I've always thought, and been told by many experienced racers, that the best prop was determined by what worked best on a particular boat and set up

the keyboard will not reveal the best prop for your boat. it's just too much variables eg ...elevation, nitro content motor mods pipes you get the picture what i have found from testing my whip is that the X450/2 is a great all round consistant no surprises prop..my 2 cents u have to go to the lake and test <_<

Latest posts

Back