Sport 40 front canard

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think too much too sometimes. You are right the SSP45 is a good one and no need to change but everyone seems to need something different to try out, thats what makes the sport class so interesting, some one always trying to get and edge on the competion.

line # 12 says Hull or deck venting not allowed in the new 2014 sport rules.

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=medium]Phil,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Every time something like this comes up you say somebody is over thinking “it”. Truth is that’s a typical reaction to somebody who would be protecting their product. No worries on my end I LOVE my SS45 and for me I aint changing ANYTIME soon![/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]My comment is more of a “what if”. I do know that when Mike asks a question like this it’s for good reason. He does not want to spend hours designing and building a new boat only to have it yanked because we “interpret” the rules differently. Right now it looks like there is no end to the placement of the 25% openings. Truth is it looks like it could be placed anywhere the builder wants.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]I know Mike does not really like me and OK.. that’s OK.. Im not picking him or on anybody here. Mike is a grey area master mind (I don’t mean that in a bad way Mike please know that) when it comes to sport boats and he has the wins to show it. You can bet he has a very crafty designing his head or on paper. If we are willing to ignore what is or is not in the written rules because it’s too much work or to review, propose and clarify or “this is just so post to be fun” then I say.. HAVE AT IT MIKE.. I cannot wait to see what rocket you design next.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Rockout![/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Grim[/SIZE]
Hey Mike, I like you and all you do for promoting this hobby. Anything posted in the past is the past. A healthy argument is what I call it. It's all good.

Anyways, you are right. I have always been in that grey area. This time I am going more conventional. One thing I learned on my last boat is that by gluing the spar across the hull really stiffened the boat up. Then I put the angled canards on top of the spar and was able to put so much down force on the boat that it would stuff. When I started moving stuff around for this new build, the more I looked at it I think I can make it like today's modern unlimited hydroplanes with the adjustable canard in the front. This does not look like anything pictured in the rule book and I thought we could start up some decent conversation on here. I am still up in the air about doing it this way as I am still placing all of the furniture in the new design. One thing for sure is that it will have an adjustable canard, just not sure where it will be. I will send something to IMPBA for clarification for anything just in case, because as you said, I do not want to work all year and have a problem.

See you at the races.

Hey Mike,

The rules I posted were right from then IMPBA web site with the approved change to strut mounting change, and configurations page.

The M13X Sportsman pages (1) pdf link appears to have some information not in the current On line Rule Book, and the last diagram is one that I thought was deleted with the Gooey Cheese proposal that was cancelled by Kevin Sheren.

It appears to me that your reference mixes apples and oranges. Does anyone have a working draft copy of what the Rule Book will read after the change to strut position is made??

CHEERS !!! Bob
Those were the rules that Kevin sent me a couple of weeks ago that were printed in the roostertail. The IMPBA site needs to be updated with both proposals that were voted in added.

So, Grim, does this mean a new rule needs to be added giving maximum chord lengths of canards and spars? That would eliminate the problem before it gets to be one

Hey Mike,

Amen to that. Until recently, I always thought I could keep up. Good thing I don't Plan to design and build a new boat for 2014.

I'll print out the link you provide so I'll have a clue. CHEERS!!! Bob

I have to bring adult supervision, Bob! They wont let me come alone! haha! This is an interesting subject. Hey Phil, its to cold to run boats. Maybe you can convince Linda to put up with me for a couple weekends and see if a new idea pops up for a sport 40. You can miss a few car races!! Ken

Ken I have enough weird ideas without your help.

Mark we have a wing length rule now 3.5" max for a wing and 5" total for multiple canard wings. 2014 rule that passed

Hey Ken,

You're darn right. You'll recall that Rick's Father was with us in Evansville. You witnessed us with Adult Supervision - Har, Har!!!!

I think Phil needs your help. Can you imagine cranking out the same hull all those years? No wondered he runs a round nose. Bazinga!!! CHEERS!!! Bob

So going back to Grim's post earlier, if I was building a 36" boat, the max picklefork depth would be 14" if both the spar and canard were used, 12.5" if using only a maxed out canard. That still works out to over 1/3 of the hull length

Okay, let me add another, if the boat boat above does not have a canard, the picklefork depth maxes out at 9". I just love the number's game
default_rolleyes.gif

Hey Mike,

I have annotated my first post, eliminated the incorrect rule book info and have posted what you linked as approved Sportsman 20 & 40 Rules for 2014.

I had to break out my Sea Lawyer thinking cap again, but believe I'm current for the moment. Now out in the light where we can all see them. CHEERS !!! Bob

Thanks Bob. They were waiting to update the web site until after the strut location rule was voted on so that they would only have to do it once.

Mark, you are correct with those dimensions. I am not going to those extremes. Total canard width will be 3 inches for what I am doing. The issue with going to the extremes with those measurements will be the integrity of the hull. Your sponsons can really be hanging out there without a lot of support depending on your design. I am not going there. Yet.

Hey Mike,

I'm glad you posted the link so we could get it out there. I was way out of touch with where the IMPBA Sport rules were going, and got frustrated leafing through Roostertails on line trying to figure it out. Hopefully posting the approved rules here will make them easily available for all. A healthy discussion is good for the Sport class.

I too look forward to seeing what Scott brings out. Met him last year at the Spring Nats. Our conversation was interrupted by a Friend urging me to get my Classic Thunderboat ready to run the next heat - I should have just kept on talking. Har, Har !!!

I look forward to seeing what you come up with Mike. Maybe I'll see you in Atlanta or in Evansville one of these light years. Jeff Schlindler's SS45 races well and he and I have enjoyed our last couple of races together. Mikey's boat doesn't race as good as it looks !!! Bazinga, Mikey !!!!!

Let's race and leave all the pencil pushing to the Admin types. CHEERS !!! Bob

Let's race and leave all the pencil pushing to the Admin types. CHEERS !!! Bob
Works for me, Bob. The only problem we have now is either not enough water, it's too cold outside or the water is too hard in many areas

Hey Mark,

Amen to that. It has been cold here in South Texas also. No hard water, but too cool for this old country boy to go play in the water. 60 degrees today at 2 PM so we're looking better. After 24 years in the Navy, and moving twice since I retired from the canoe club in '90 - - I'm thinking we have moved the last time. Hummm - - I know there are not fresh water lakes in Key West. Closer to the border in Tejas and I'd be carrying a side arm daily. Guess we'll settle here.

Will you be ready to race 1/8th Scale this year?? Get movin' - season will be here before you know it. CHEERS !!! Bob

One boat's almost ready and four are under construction. I should have two or three on the water by mid-season if all goes well. The big problem is how much I'll be away from home between now and Labor Day and how much it's going to restrict my building time

Well I have all equipment placed. It will have an adjustable front canard with a 2 inch gap then the solid spar. It will look cool. Time to start cutting some wood.

Another 9 inches of snow expected today so it is a good time to build boats. I might have to take a couple of runs on the snowmobile though for that winter need for speed.

Hey Mike,

I'll look forward to see what you come up with.

9" of snow strikes terror into my heart !!! Har, Har !!! I was stationed in New London, CT years ago. Friends (???) tried to teach my running mate from Mobile, AL how to snow ski, Ice skate, and ride a sled. Not one was pretty, and turned ugly quickly. Haven't tried it since. I think I could handle snowmobile however. Har, Har !!! CHEERS !!! Bob

Back