Sport 40 Driveline Issue 45 VAC

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like Aeromarine collets for the way they hold, but I do check them for run out. Couldn't find 3/16" collets that were true so I made a couple.

Are you silver brazing the end?

Got a pic of one that broke? :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Terry,

I checked the run out on the collet and found it to be 0.012. The brass insert is bad. The inner collet to the flywheel only ran out 0.001. So I know the brass insert is bad. I have a couple older 0.187 inserts that are steel too bad they still don't make those anymore. The 0.25 one are steel.

I think that is the problem. Shafts were tied in a knot right in front of the collet. I cut the shaft out all ready or I would take pictures.

Regards,

Bert

Terry,

I checked the run out on the collet and found it to be 0.012. The brass insert is bad. The inner collet to the flywheel only ran out 0.001. So I know the brass insert is bad. I have a couple older 0.187 inserts that are steel too bad they still don't make those anymore. The 0.25 one are steel.

I think that is the problem. Shafts were tied in a knot right in front of the collet. I cut the shaft out all ready or I would take pictures.

Regards,

Bert

There ya go, that's a bunch!

You soldering the ends?

I use to buy 10 or more AM flex collets to find one or two that were acceptable to me. Don't use the brass collets, use the stainless ones. Better yet, contact Allan Hobbs. He is making the best flex collets that I have seen yet. Close to dead nuts on the run-out.

Dick Tyndall

Terry,

The first one was soldered. The second one was not. I thought maybe I overheated the shaft. Keep in mind when I ran the hull with the CMB HR 45 I never had a shaft issue. Swapped motors once no issue. Swapped back to the HR after Walt built me a new tank. No issues. Swapped back to the VAC broke two shafts.

I going to get in touch with Al Hobbs and try a couple of his flex collets.

Regards,

Bert dygert

I broke one a while ago when I soldered too much of the end, now I just do the last 1/4" or so, thanks to my bud Olly for that!

Anyone got a pic of Al's collet? :rolleyes:

Al had some of the new flex collets at the Hobart race. They look similar to the AM ones, but he was more particular about eliminating the shaft run-out. I'm sure you can find his contact information in the manufacturer's section on this site.

Dick Tyndall

Mike,

When I cleaned everything up ( all little burrs ect.) and ran a reamer thru the brass collet it still had .005 run out.

Sent Al an PM last night. Let me know if you need a couple of collets I will include them with mine.

Bert Dygert

Guys,

Here is a picture of the new drive installation. Also one of Al Hobbs 3/16 collets.

Testing this weekend if the weather stays good.

Bert Dygert

Sport 40 - New Drive Line.jpg

Back