Sport 20 average speeds.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueBlaster

I just wanted to ask what are the average speeds for sport 20 hydros. Would 45-50 be right.

I'm building one right now, and hope to do much better than that. what hull, engine pipe and prop are you running?

My PT SS21 ran 56 mph consistantly when I could find the needle (didnt have a third channel in the boat). Needle was very picky to find, but once it hit it screamed. A true mid 50's sport 20 that will stay on the water in heat race trim is cooking.

mid 50s is probably reasonable to be hitting down the shoot, I have never had a radar gun on one though.

Ask Dave Roach. His sport 20 screams. It's very fast.
20 Whiplash,Green head cmb,Scott Bouchie 30,000 rpm pipe,prop is a ABC T-101 ,On board glow system, burning 15oz fuel per heat,Running 65 on Radar The problem is keeping it on the water.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe Chris Wood was touching low to mid 60's with his whip as well. Ridiculous fast, but couldnt keep the boat on the water.

Thanks for the replies, I was curious because I was thinking of using a Miss Vegas with a O.S 18 TZ . I been looking around the web and you tube and seems that there hitting up in the 50s. I'm sure it would be at least a contender, as Grim said its as much driving as it is speed. I'm always wanting to try something different.

Thanks for the replies, I was curious because I was thinking of using a Miss Vegas with a O.S 18 TZ . I been looking around the web and you tube and seems that there hitting up in the 50s. I'm sure it would be at least a contender, as Grim said its as much driving as it is speed. I'm always wanting to try something different.
1/2 Hydro Twin Racing...

The Miss Vegas makes a real nice sport 20 boat with a 21 in it. Truth is one won the nats in 2007 with a OS 21. Boat is still around and runs 50 mph all day long.

Grim

my old whiplash would run 61mph and stay on the water.. no problem, one of the fastests ones around

the new boat. would run faster but would blow off after 2 laps. i never did mess much with the new boat after that.

the old boat ran a nova rossi prepped by pops ops 3280 pipe 8 1/8 with a 1440 back cut and cupped to 3.2 ( outboard version of this prop )

boat was 5 1/2 lbs ready to run A TANK!!

chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Back