Sp. .40 rudder?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron Jefferson

What rudder assembly do you guys use on a Sp. 40? Is there one that's left handed 9meaning it can be mounted on the left side) and has a 1" blade?

Thanks, Ron

What rudder assembly do you guys use on a Sp. 40? Is there one that's left handed 9meaning it can be mounted on the left side) and has a 1" blade?

Thanks, Ron

What boat? I use a Speedmaster 45 rudder on my P.T. round nose- but I,ve seen Speedmaster mini's on Mutts.

Glenn

Thanks, Ron

What boat? I use a Speedmaster 45 rudder on my P.T. round nose- but I,ve seen Speedmaster mini's on Mutts.

Glenn
It's a P.T boat but his instructions say not to use the mini rudder.

Ron

Thanks, Ron

Glenn
It's a P.T boat but his instructions say not to use the mini rudder.

Ron
There yah have it then. Speedmaster 45 rudder.

My set up sheet from Phil say's a Speedmaster 21 hydro rudder, and that's what I use. Can be setup right or left side.
cool.gif
==={}

Ray,

Does the bracket just flip over or did you specify left handed when you ordered it?

Thanks, Ron

Ray,

Does the bracket just flip over or did you specify left handed when you ordered it?

Thanks, Ron
The control arm just flips over, the bracket can be flipped, it's a easy mod.
They make two different 21 rudders the mini and the longer ones.

You just have to flip over the mount and round the top corner and redrill the top hole. The tiller arm is moved to the right side of the rudder too.

The mini is not really big enoungh for the 40 boat. The long 21 rudder should be cut off 4 inches from the boattom of the boat.

You can use a 40 rudder too. Speed master makes a right hand tiller block for the bigger rudders. You have to ask for a left hand mounted rudder assembly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ray,

Thanks, Ron
Hey Ron,

I just went thru this... On the .21 sized speedmaster rudder assemblies (mini or standard), they all come with mouting brackets that mount the assembly on the right side of the transom. You can modify the supplied mouting bracket as others mentioned by flipping over, grinding, changing the blade mounting hardware yada yada yada... Rather than cobbeling up the nice machineing and not having the correct hole configuation for mounting the break away blade, I called and ordered the correct bracket for the left side of the hull [(407) 889-2283].

As for which rudder assembly to use, I would stick with what is in phil's instructions the .21 Rudder Assembly (NOT the Mini). The problem with trying to use the 40 sized assemlby is the footprint of the transom mounting bracket. It's simply too tall for the transom of Phil's SS45 hull (I am not sure about the round nose SP40).

http://rossisales.com/ruddernew2.html

Later,

Ball

Ray,

Thanks, Ron
Hey Ron,

I just went thru this... On the .21 sized speedmaster rudder assemblies (mini or standard), they all come with mouting brackets that mount the assembly on the right side of the transom. You can modify the supplied mouting bracket as others mentioned by flipping over, grinding, changing the blade mounting hardware yada yada yada... Rather than cobbeling up the nice machineing and not having the correct hole configuation for mounting the break away blade, I called and ordered the correct bracket for the left side of the hull [(407) 889-2283].

As for which rudder assembly to use, I would stick with what is in phil's instructions the .21 Rudder Assembly (NOT the Mini). The problem with trying to use the 40 sized assemlby is the footprint of the transom mounting bracket. It's simply too tall for the transom of Phil's SS45 hull (I am not sure about the round nose SP40).

http://rossisales.com/ruddernew2.html

Later,

Ball
I guess what I'm really looking for is a L/H mini rudder assembly with a 1" blade instead of the 3/4" blade. I'll keep looking.

Thanks, Ron

I use a seaducer 20 rudder works great just cut it down some fits right on speedmaster hardware

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back