Setting up new boat for old flex cables? How to?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lennard Cuenco

Has anyone tried this? I have several 1/4" flex cables made up for an existing boat. I would like to be able to use the same flex cables in a new boat. These are square to square 1/4" cables, so they will float btwn ferrule and engine side square drive.

How did you do it? Can the s-bend be used to determine proper length?

less s bend = longer

more s bend = shorter

I would imagine you mount the motor where ever...then alter the s bend to make your existing cables fit. is there a problem with that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Len,

Definitely not tried it.

I run single end square drives with a brass Octura collet silver soldered on the strut end. I usually make up two for each boat to have a back up. I have never run any of them with an "S" bend. Why? the cable isn't loaded, thrusts on the rear of the strut, not the engine as it does for a compression style collet. I use the silver soldered collet because I can cut 24" square drive cables to length and make up in my shop rather than sending them out for someone to do.

Multi use cables using different "S" bends to make fit, sound like a bad idea to me. Don't ask Ray - he may chicken choke you. CHEERS !!! Bob

on a similiar subject: I have a few brand-new .250in dia Hughey flex cables (custom fabricated by Ed Hughey back in the 1980's) with brass Octura Ferrule's silver-soldered on one end.

However, they were originally packaged in plastic bags, wound, or flexed, in a compressed "U-shape" (if you know what I mean). So once opened-up and un-flexed, they are slightly warped, not naturally straight. Is this okay?

Len Bob Tuttle Just bought the equipt to make Sq to Sq cables any size. LOL Chicken choke ..Grate one Bob..

LOL..thx Bob..

just wondering if anyone tried it...

i agree, loading the strut is more fun than loading the bearings of the crankshaft (tho it's cool to push mid boat, thru motor than at the transom on the strut)...

thanks roy...i'll contact bobby or jeff alvey about the cable when i know the length

thx Ray!

saved me
default_smile.png

i bot like 5 cables all the same length...

i have several new ones in the box, but why not recycle....lol

CMON U-50!!!!

gogogogo Ray!

No transfer of said machinery or cash have taken place at this point. I am working on finding a local machinist to make the ferrules and engine nuts. I'm looking to do a 1/4x28 .150 and a 1/4x28 .187 plus both ferrules to start with. hopefully in aluminum. If you guys have other sizes besides gas stuff, please let me know. (I believe Jeff has gas stuff) I need your feedback.

Thanks, Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
Back