servos, batteries, chargers

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glenng

Built my first 1/8 about 20 years ago. Drug it out of mothballs a few months ago and decided to refurbish it. Found out all the servo's/radio etc. were obsolete.(or illegal to use). I bought a airtronics 94358 for the rudder/hitec 225 for the throttle and a futaba 3pm for a radio. Thinking of using a hitek 81 or hobbico cs12 for the 3rd channel needle. Really don't have a clue what battery or charger to use. Any comments would be welcome. Thank's Glenn

Built my first 1/8 about 20 years ago. Drug it out of mothballs a few months ago and decided to refurbish it. Found out all the servo's/radio etc. were obsolete.(or illegal to use). I bought a airtronics 94358 for the rudder/hitec 225 for the throttle and a futaba 3pm for a radio. Thinking of using a hitek 81 or hobbico cs12 for the 3rd channel needle. Really don't have a clue what battery or charger to use. Any comments would be welcome. Thank's Glenn
Hay Glenn, If you want to stay ahead of the curve, Go with a 2 cell Lipo battery @ about 850Mah and a Lipo / Nicad charger.

It looks like Lipo battery Tech is comming fast for our Tx & receivers.

Hay Glenn, If you want to stay ahead of the curve, Go with a 2 cell Lipo battery @ about 850Mah and a Lipo / Nicad charger.

Thank's Tom, The only experince I've had with lithium batteries was in the late 1980's. I was told lithium and water do not "play well together". My boat originally had a 6v nicad Mah unknown and worked o.k. but the battery pack probably weighed over 6 oz. The closest lake now is over 5000 ft. elevtation and I'd like to keep everything as light as possable . Any other commemts are welcome. Thank's, Glenn

So who sells lipo batteries for receivers? Do you have a link that you could post?

Thanks.

Dave

So who sells lipo batteries for receivers? Do you have a link that you could post?
Thanks.

Dave
You'll also need a voltage regulator since the battery voltage will be 8.4V off the charger.

MPI offers good regulators: http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-21.html

Batteries are your choice. I personally stick to Thunder Power.

And if you don't have a LiPo charger, expect to pay upwards of $100 for something decent.

The bottom line is you'd be dropping close to $200 for a receiver pack... :rolleyes:

Thanks.

Dave
You'll also need a voltage regulator since the battery voltage will be 8.4V off the charger.

MPI offers good regulators: http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-21.html

Batteries are your choice. I personally stick to Thunder Power.

And if you don't have a LiPo charger, expect to pay upwards of $100 for something decent.

The bottom line is you'd be dropping close to $200 for a receiver pack... :rolleyes:
Oh! :eek: That makes the NiMh packs just fine by me. :D

Dave

I use 5 cell NiMh / 900 mah receiver packs... but...

The newest A123 lithium batteries look VERY interesting. 2 of these cells gives you 6.6v / 1100 mah (without a regulator) with about the same weight. They have AMAZING discharge numbers and can be FAST-charged (as in several minutes).

There's a lot of info out now about them in some of the airplane forums. They appear to be an improvement over the older Li-Po and Li-ion batteries. I do not know about mixing them with water, though.

>T

I use 5 cell NiMh / 900 mah receiver packs... but...
The newest A123 lithium batteries look VERY interesting. 2 of these cells gives you 6.6v / 1100 mah (without a regulator) with about the same weight. They have AMAZING discharge numbers and can be FAST-charged (as in several minutes).

There's a lot of info out now about them in some of the airplane forums. They appear to be an improvement over the older Li-Po and Li-ion batteries. I do not know about mixing them with water, though.

>T
Thank's Thom and all you guy's, I'll look into the A123 batteries .If anyone has ever dunked a lithium battery pack in water I'd like to know what happened.

Latest posts

Back