Seafair Final

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't believe Villwock tried to pinch the Oberto again!!!!

He lost because of doing that at Tri-Cities two weeks ago, and this time almost hit the Oberto like he did the Peters & May in Detroit. I really think he needs some sort of penalty for doing this kind of crap. I wish I had seen that while I was at the lake, Villwock would probably have gotten an earful. Three races and three lane violations or collisions tells me he needs some MANDITORY TIME OUT OF THE BOAT :angry:

I can't believe Villwock tried to pinch the Oberto again!!!!

He lost because of doing that at Tri-Cities two weeks ago, and this time almost hit the Oberto like he did the Peters & May in Detroit. I really think he needs some sort of penalty for doing this kind of crap. I wish I had seen that while I was at the lake, Villwock would probably have gotten an earful. Three races and three lane violations or collisions tells me he needs some MANDITORY TIME OUT OF THE BOAT :angry:
The man got serious issues..if he keeps that up he'll end up killing somebody one of these days.

I completely disagree. If you are in lane 2, your job is to make sure that the boat on the inside holds their lane. The idea is to keep it tight.

One of the best final heats that I can remember was the 1989 Seattle final. Chip in the backup Circus Circus (the School Bus) was in lane 2 and held the faster Miss Budweiser on the inside. I really don't see what the difference is between this race and the 2010 Seattle final. Steve David did a great job with a great setup and won the race.

Well, I guess I do know the difference. In 89 it was a popular driver making the move. In 10, it was an unpopular driver.

And can we stop with the talk about Villwock almost killing J.W.? That was a racing incident with no malicious intent.

Rick

Last edited by a moderator:
i liked it when he got the heat winner trophy from hyundai, said thanks ford huyandai, :huh:

presenter corrected him, ;)

said it dont matter , i drive a chevrolet anyhow. :p :p

now there is CLASS!!! <_<

I completely disagree. If you are in lane 2, your job is to make sure that the boat on the inside holds their lane. The idea is to keep it tight.

One of the best final heats that I can remember was the 1989 Seattle final. Chip in the backup Circus Circus (the School Bus) was in lane 2 and held the faster Miss Budweiser on the inside. I really don't see what the difference is between this race and the 2010 Seattle final. Steve David did a great job with a great setup and won the race.

Well, I guess I do know the difference. In 89 it was a popular driver making the move. In 10, it was an unpopular driver.

And can we stop with the talk about Villwock almost killing J.W.? That was a racing incident with no malicious intent.

Looked like racing to me one pushed and the other shoved. It did cost Villwok the race as he never caught him again. Talk about crazy loose boats it was wild. Also I think the race showed how each respected the others with outta control boats ready to flip spin or swap ends. This was the best heat ive seen in years

Looked like racing to me one pushed and the other shoved. It did cost Villwok the race as he never caught him again. Talk about crazy loose boats it was wild. Also I think the race showed how each respected the others with outta control boats ready to flip spin or swap ends. This was the best heat ive seen in years

Never said Villwock tried to kill anyone or that the final last weekend in Seattle wasn't a fantastic race. I just think someone needs to lay down the law with Dave, either hold your lane or stay off the water

For those of you with the BIG MOUTHS- (HJ & MISS HYDRO) THe pinching and holding tight as you say is part of racing. Niether one of you has driven a boat. I HAVE. They are very unpredictable at those speeds. Stuff happens. Their is nothing you can do about it except ride it out when it does happen. That was a great race. Although I do belive Dave was sandbagging a bit to make a great show. I think that type of racing is great for the sport. PUTTING ON A GREAT SHOW! We do the same in R/C U.

P.S. I also liked the dig on ford and chevy. Classic

For those of you with the BIG MOUTHS- (HJ & MISS HYDRO) THe pinching and holding tight as you say is part of racing. Niether one of you has driven a boat. I HAVE. They are very unpredictable at those speeds. Stuff happens. Their is nothing you can do about it except ride it out when it does happen. That was a great race. Although I do belive Dave was sandbagging a bit to make a great show. I think that type of racing is great for the sport. PUTTING ON A GREAT SHOW! We do the same in R/C U.

Yes, that was one of the best races I have seen in some time. I was watching it on KIRO live. Me and my wife were both watching it and she even knew from what she saw that Villwock tried to pinch David in the corner to make it look like the Oberto went wide which he did not. Steve David ran the race of his life in that final. The only way Villwock can really determine the lanes is if he had of been ahead of the Oberto through the corner or at least side by side providing he does not encroach or cause the Oberto to go too far inside. In the interview shown live, Villwock stated that he thought the Oberto swung wide a few times and caused him to go wide as well. If you watch the race from start to finish and concentrate on the Oberto you will see that he drove a near flawless race and maintained his lane throughout the 5 laps. As any racer knows, its hard to pass an equally fast boat when your on the outside and in all that chop. It was clear in that final, and I will remember that one as one of the top heats ever run. There are no losers in a race like that,.........Everyone wins!!!!!

Hello,

I think what gets lost in all this banter is how prophetic Chip is when he says...as far as he's concerned Villwock's the greatest driver....in other footage of the post race win interview of 89' he says...before Dave Villwock is done he will be the greatest thing the sport has ever seen....this is coming from the guy mentored by Muncey. Hey, don't get me wrong I don't like Villwock too much, he has soured over the years and has become bitter and arrogant compared to his early years with the Picco. Way back when with the Picco he was a refreshing interview after victory or loss. When I was a kid I loved Bill Muncey during the Atlas years, Seafair 77' being my first taste of this passion. Let's be honest Bill rubbed a lot of people the wrong way and many preferred Chenoweth or Reynolds'. It's just all about the pressures and how different people cope with it.............one thing we can all agree on however is that they're great boat racers, yeah Villwock has had some nice rides, but Bernie only wanted the best driving for him. Maybe it would be better if Villwock wore pinstripes or had a blue star on his helmet then it would make a whole lot more sense.

Thanks for reading,

Kevin

Thank you JWO, once again you nailed it, I was standing on the Oberto dock for the final the crowd on the point was on edge for all 5 laps there were cheers and jeers mostly cheers, several loud oooooooo's and just an all around awesome show for the people who decided to show up. It will go down for me personally as a great race amongst 2 great drivers and I just hope it is not another decade or so before we get to see a duel like that again.

Hello,

I think what gets lost in all this banter is how prophetic Chip is when he says...as far as he's concerned Villwock's the greatest driver....in other footage of the post race win interview of 89' he says...before Dave Villwock is done he will be the greatest thing the sport has ever seen....this is coming from the guy mentored by Muncey. Hey, don't get me wrong I don't like Villwock too much, he has soured over the years and has become bitter and arrogant compared to his early years with the Picco. Way back when with the Picco he was a refreshing interview after victory or loss. When I was a kid I loved Bill Muncey during the Atlas years, Seafair 77' being my first taste of this passion. Let's be honest Bill rubbed a lot of people the wrong way and many preferred Chenoweth or Reynolds'. It's just all about the pressures and how different people cope with it.............one thing we can all agree on however is that they're great boat racers, yeah Villwock has had some nice rides, but Bernie only wanted the best driving for him. Maybe it would be better if Villwock wore pinstripes or had a blue star on his helmet then it would make a whole lot more sense.

Thanks for reading,

Kevin
AMEN!

I was also at the race and watched the final from the beach between the pit's and start finish line. I heard all the oohs and aaahs and will fully agree it was a great race, but I'm seeing a trend with Dave Villwock. He was involved in a collision with the U-37 in Detroit, was penalized in Tri-Cities for a lane violation for squaring off a corner in front of the Oberto and then almost hit the Oberto in Seattle. Yes the water was rough, but if Steve David could hold his lane as already stated, Dave should have been able to as well. I have one question for JWO, what good does it do to try and pinch someone that's already half a boatlength ahead of you?

I was also at the race and watched the final from the beach between the pit's and start finish line. I heard all the oohs and aaahs and will fully agree it was a great race, but I'm seeing a trend with Dave Villwock. He was involved in a collision with the U-37 in Detroit, was penalized in Tri-Cities for a lane violation for squaring off a corner in front of the Oberto and then almost hit the Oberto in Seattle. Yes the water was rough, but if Steve David could hold his lane as already stated, Dave should have been able to as well. I have one question for JWO, what good does it do to try and pinch someone that's already half a boatlength ahead of you?
Well heck, let me throw my 2 cents of observation in this. I have never been a Villwock fan. And to say that I am an Oberto fan is an understatement. I dont care for Villwock's driving but lets face it, the guy is good. Only Jean Theoret the last couple of years has come close to being as aggressive as Dave and giving him a run for his money when lanes have not been predesignated by the officials. What I saw was Dave coming out a little wide in the prior turn. Maybe a drift or maybe a setup by design. Only Dave knows. After all..........he has always had the speed with his boats. Dave went from lane three to lane two in the question pinched turn. Pretty hard I will admit. Was it a pinch? What is a pinch? If Dave did not hit Steve, it is a lane violation going from three to lane two? I dont know the Unlimited rules to make that call on if that is okay. He didnt hurt anyone behind him. What we would call in RC Scale racing?.........No penalty. And we all talk about how we are supposed to be the same as the big boys.

Maybe Dave did overturn accidently.......maybe not. I figure that Dave tried to deek Steve David with his move and get Steve to pull up or go inside the course of which Steve did not go for it. Steve held his ground and drove an incredible race. Dave Villwock, being on the outside knows that he has to be easily 5 to 10 miles per hour faster to pass on the outside but didnt have it. So he played the head game. Havent we all done that racing? However, the Oberto boat didnt cave in and won a great race.

It sure got us all talking about it. Isnt that what it is all about?

Thanks,

Al Waters

Al, the only reason I called it a pinch and question the move is that:

1) he almost hit the Oberto. From the video, there appeared to be less than a foot between the boats. As someone already said, "They are very unpredictable at those speeds. Stuff happens. Their is nothing you can do about it except ride it out when it does happen". That being said, why risk it with 3.5 ton million dollar boats, especially with the water conditions they were racing on?

2) Chip called it a pinch move right as it happened

As far as I'm concerned, if you want to play head games, do it in the mill. Once the flag drops, if you're close to another boat, hold your lane and drive safely. I'm sure if there had been a collision and someone got hurt, those saying "that's racing" would think a little differently. That was my whole point all along, this is a sport, just like NASCAR, NBA and the NFL, safety needs to come first

1) he almost hit the Oberto. From the video, there appeared to be less than a foot between the boats. As someone already said, "They are very unpredictable at those speeds. Stuff happens. Their is nothing you can do about it except ride it out when it does happen". That being said, why risk it with 3.5 ton million dollar boats, especially with the water conditions they were racing on?

As far as I'm concerned, if you want to play head games, do it in the mill. Once the flag drops, if you're close to another boat, hold your lane and drive safely. I'm sure if there had been a collision and someone got hurt, those saying "that's racing" would think a little differently. That was my whole point all along, this is a sport, just like NASCAR, NBA and the NFL, safety needs to come first
HJ,

with all due respect, there are no rules about whether head games can be played in the mill only or during a race. That is your opinion and that is fine. Safety does come first with hydros just like NASCAR, NBA and the NFL, but last I checked............they all do still hit.

Thanks,

Al Waters

HJ,

with all due respect, there are no rules about whether head games can be played in the mill only or during a race. That is your opinion and that is fine. Safety does come first with hydros just like NASCAR, NBA and the NFL, but last I checked............they all do still hit.

Thanks,

Al Waters
And I agree Al, both on the no rules and the hitting. At the same time however, in all three of my examples, either required safety precautions and equipment(pads, helmets and contact limits in the NFL, roll cages, helmets, fire proof drivers suits and Hauns collars in NASCAR) or rules limiting contact(in the NBA)are in place. Since there are no such rules for the Unlimiteds, some common sense needs to be used. With a constantly changing racing surface, anything can and will happen. Do we need to have a serious accident to get the powers that be to look at the rules? I know head games will be played but at 200 MPH on rough water, that's asking for disaster. Lets keep the head games on the ponds with the R/C racers where nobody will get hurt. Enough said :)

HJ,

Thanks,

Al Waters
And I agree Al, both on the no rules and the hitting. At the same time however, in all three of my examples, either required safety precautions and equipment(pads, helmets and contact limits in the NFL, roll cages, helmets, fire proof drivers suits and Hauns collars in NASCAR) or rules limiting contact(in the NBA)are in place. Since there are no such rules for the Unlimiteds, some common sense needs to be used. With a constantly changing racing surface, anything can and will happen. Do we need to have a serious accident to get the powers that be to look at the rules? I know head games will be played but at 200 MPH on rough water, that's asking for disaster. Lets keep the head games on the ponds with the R/C racers where nobody will get hurt. Enough said :)
HJ we dont need head games at the pond neighter. people can get hurt at the pond too if somebody gets stupied or radio malfuntions with there boats.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back