scaling up a kit

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
According to what rule book? NAMBA and IMPBA both say no pickleforks in the T-boat classes and I've never seen anything about gas scale in either one. The scale gas club here in Washington limits the boats to 1/8th scale plus 20%. Not trying to be argumentative, just curious

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wanted to make sure everyone understands what we are doing in the Pacific Northwest ----

Currently there is not a NAMBA or IMPBA class for our boats ( we are working on it ) IMPBA members please contact your district or national director - NAMBA members please contact me if you would like this to become a recognized class .. If you go to www.pnwta.org you will see what we have adopted as our rules -- you will find that we are basically using NAMBA G-class motor rules and a scale of 1/667 or 20% larger than the 1/8 scale hulls from the scale master hull roster that we all use for our 1/8 scale nitro boats. Please don't confuse this class with Classic Thunderboats as most of the hulls that are being produced for that class do not fit our scale rules. We looked at refitting our 1/8 scale boats with gas motors but we could not properly hide the motor and pipe and still be able to call it scale- This is not another Gas Sport Hydro class, it is a class for those that want to build and race scale hydros with gas motors....

From Jim's Boat Dock----

Follow this link http://www.pnwta.org....0Gas%20E-LAM_1 to see photos of Bob Hulliger's 1/6 scale "Gas Scale Hydro" ...

Bob spent the summer building three wood 1/6 Gas Scale boats. This one ran at the NW Scale Champ race for the first time and the other two, White E- Lam and Boeing 787 are ready for the paint booth. We have many round nose hulls that fit the new class but with the mold for this cowl being done we are finally moving along. We plan on testing my 76 Olympia Beer boat in a few weeks and then she will go to the paint shop.

Jeff Snell has also been very busy- He now has for sale the cowl and the Plexiglas canopy the E Lam and will soon have the cowl from my 76 Olympia beer boat for sale – We chose these boats and cowls to build first because with minor changes they will make many different boats. Rumor is we might also see a glass 1/6 scale version of Jeff's very popular 8255 1/8 scale hull coming out of his shop along with a glass version of Bobs E-Lam ...

We also have hardware being built for the 1/6 class- Gary Jensen has struts for the ¼" drive system – Mike Cathey has larger scale turn fins and mounting hardware available and Larry Kramer is working on 1/6 scale drivers and dummy motors –If you are interested in knowing more about what we are doing in the Northwest please get in touch with us through the clubs web site at www.pnwta.org

Just wanted to make sure everyone understands what we are doing in the Pacific Northwest ----

Currently there is not a NAMBA or IMPBA class for our boats ( we are working on it ) IMPBA members please contact your district or national director - NAMBA members please contact me if you would like this to become a recognized class .. If you go to www.pnwta.org you will see what we have adopted as our rules -- you will find that we are basically using NAMBA G-class motor rules and a scale of 1/667 or 20% larger than the 1/8 scale hulls from the scale master hull roster that we all use for our 1/8 scale nitro boats. Please don't confuse this class with Classic Thunderboats as most of the hulls that are being produced for that class do not fit our scale rules. We looked at refitting our 1/8 scale boats with gas motors but we could not properly hide the motor and pipe and still be able to call it scale- This is not another Gas Sport Hydro class, it is a class for those that want to build and race scale hydros with gas motors....

From Jim's Boat Dock----

Follow this link http://www.pnwta.org....0Gas%20E-LAM_1 to see photos of Bob Hulliger's 1/6 scale "Gas Scale Hydro" ...

Bob spent the summer building three wood 1/6 Gas Scale boats. This one ran at the NW Scale Champ race for the first time and the other two, White E- Lam and Boeing 787 are ready for the paint booth. We have many round nose hulls that fit the new class but with the mold for this cowl being done we are finally moving along. We plan on testing my 76 Olympia Beer boat in a few weeks and then she will go to the paint shop.

Jeff Snell has also been very busy- He now has for sale the cowl and the Plexiglas canopy the E Lam and will soon have the cowl from my 76 Olympia beer boat for sale – We chose these boats and cowls to build first because with minor changes they will make many different boats. Rumor is we might also see a glass 1/6 scale version of Jeff's very popular 8255 1/8 scale hull coming out of his shop along with a glass version of Bobs E-Lam ...

We also have hardware being built for the 1/6 class- Gary Jensen has struts for the ¼" drive system – Mike Cathey has larger scale turn fins and mounting hardware available and Larry Kramer is working on 1/6 scale drivers and dummy motors –If you are interested in knowing more about what we are doing in the Northwest please get in touch with us through the clubs web site at www.pnwta.org
WOW HJ that guy built three hydro's that summer....hint hint..Marty,is there away Me&myboyfriend get ahold of Bob&jeff about there boats...?My boyfriend has been reworking a proboat miss Ellam 1/8 gas hydro..to race/compete in races next year..Yes I'd joined that website to early this year..

From Jim's Boat Dock----

WOW HJ that guy built three hydro's that summer....hint hint..Marty,is there away Me&myboyfriend get ahold of Bob&jeff about there boats...?My boyfriend has been reworking a proboat miss Ellam 1/8 gas hydro..to race/compete in races next year..Yes I'd joined that website to early this year..
Don't get so excited misshydro. Let me fill in a few blanks:

1) The builder is retired and has nothing better to do(no offence Bob :) )

2) You can cut out parts for three boats as fast as one by using a dab of hot glue or double backed tape to hold multiple layers of ply together

3) He didn't do any major modifications to the plans like I do with mine as far as I know

I saw the boat myself and it's a beauty. Then again, Bob always builds boats that could go in a museum. Rather than buy a glass hull, build one yourself. It's not that hard and then you can say "I built it myself"

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back