scaling up a kit

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larcor69

Supporting Member
I have an old unbuilt dumas pay-n-pak 1/8th kit, anyone have a way to scale this up, want to make it a 1/6th scale for a gas scale hull??

Last edited by a moderator:
Trust me, it's not worth it. You would be money ahead to get a set of plans from Newton Marine and scale them up. You only need to go up to 120% to work for a gas hull. To go up to 1/6th scale, you will need to make additional frames or add lots of stringers, been there done that. By going up to 120%, you will have a boat that is 51-51.5" long as compared to 57" at 1/6th scale.

If you either send me the kit, I can either trace it, scan it, and draw it up on CADD where you can either take the plans and cut out, or I can send you the CADD file to give to.a lazer cutting person. Or you can trace the parts, and mail me the tracings. Let me know if I can help. Mike

you both have good idea's just figured since I have the kit maybe something could be done with it, scaling up plans and haveing them cut sounds best so far..thanks..Corey

Let me see if I can find a picture of my 1/6th scale boats. Found it. These things are huge. To give you some idea on scale, the boat between the big gassers, to the left of my gas Pak, is a scale 46.5" 1999 Miss Madison with a Bud cowl. The just started framework in front is a 61.75" 91 Miss Madison. These boats are so big that all the materials on the 1991 Madison need to be spliced together just to be long enough, not a good thing

Dang HJ those are all great looking, that pay n pak will be something to see finished. I enjoy seeing scale wood boats, it's an art in itself. Great work.

looking sweet, I am thinking scaling up a 85 Miller, I think the cowl would conceal a gas engine good and the turbine tube hide the tuned pipe easly, with the new rcmk rz rear exhaust engine's making a gas scle will be less difficult, figured if I get started on a 1/6th gas scale by time it's done, that class will take off around here!!

looking sweet, I am thinking scaling up a 85 Miller, I think the cowl would conceal a gas engine good and the turbine tube hide the tuned pipe easly, with the new rcmk rz rear exhaust engine's making a gas scle will be less difficult, figured if I get started on a 1/6th gas scale by time it's done, that class will take off around here!!
I scaled up a Dumas Thriftway. I made all the changes to the kit, sponson riding surface, width, and so. then I traced out all the parts. took them to a printer he simply enlarged them to the size I wanted. I found out later most Blue print shops can also enlarge plans to a point (size). Hope that helps ?

thats sounds good too, was thinking same, I just get a set of plans from newton marine,
You don't need to buy Newton's plans. Just pop out the Dumas parts, trace them, and find a printer. I don't want to bash Newton's plans, But they will be very close to the Dumas parts, both are close to scale. Hope that helps Dave.

That's not true Dave. I've built Dumas boats and boats from Newton plans and have found them to be night and day different. The dumas boats are of a much poorer design than the Newton plans are. I have a 1999 Miss Madison that I'm building from Newton plans and it's a much better set up than the Dumas Circus kit that I'm having to rework to make it a decent boat. If I were to build the Dumas as designed, the hull would be almost twice as heavy as the Newton. I've already proven that by building a 40 sized Dumas Blue Blaster and a Newton 73 Pak scaled down to 36". The Dumas weighed in at 8 pounds empty while the Newton weighs just over 5 pounds including all the running gear but no cowl. Kinda makes the Dumas look bad, don't it?

Dumas boats. Either you love them or hate them.

Hi HJ. Best of my knowledge, Dumas took exact measurements of the real hydros, and scaled them down to size, without taking into consideration that the same hull scaled down may not handle as well as the real Mcoy, that and the frames are 1/8 ply & the skins are 1/16 ply, of a lesser quaility, but thats to keeps the cost of the kits down.

Roger newtons plans I feel are much better because he went one step further by modifing & changing sponson design/angle that is more appropiate for r/c racing....That, and they call for lighter & better quaility woods...1/16 frames and 1/32 skins I think....Thats why the RN boat weighed in at 5 pounds....

Dumas boats. Either you love them or hate them.

Hi HJ. Best of my knowledge, Dumas took exact measurements of the real hydros, and scaled them down to size, without taking into consideration that the same hull scaled down may not handle as well as the real Mcoy, that and the frames are 1/8 ply & the skins are 1/16 ply, of a lesser quaility, but thats to keeps the cost of the kits down.

Roger newtons plans I feel are much better because he went one step further by modifing & changing sponson design/angle that is more appropiate for r/c racing....That, and they call for lighter & better quaility woods...1/16 frames and 1/32 skins I think....Thats why the RN boat weighed in at 5 pounds....
Roger didn't specify any ply under 1/16th thick. What he specified where depended on the boat being drawn at the time. Almost all of his pickleforks were all 1/16th ply. His canard boats and turbines used 1/16th ply for the cross frames with 1/8th ply for all lengthwise frames while the round nosed boats used almost exclusively 1/16th. The exceptions were the transoms, which varied in thickness between 1/16 and 1/4 for the sponsons, 3/16 to 1/4 at the transom and 1/8 for the sponson shears. The skin was always 1/16th ply.

Dumas, on the other hand, used excusively 1/8 luan with 1/16 skin to save their dies. Any part that the luan itself wasn't strong enough to handle was to be doubled by the builder with a supplied second piece to be laminated to the first. By the time all that luan was sealed, the boat almost always was close to doubled in weight

I have an old unbuilt dumas pay-n-pak 1/8th kit, anyone have a way to scale this up, want to make it a 1/6th scale for a gas scale hull??
you could cut the top hull deck put a side hump in that hull cowl..There was a miss circus circus dumas hydro that was for sale on RCU.. It was converted to gas.. looked great too.

you could cut the top hull deck put a side hump in that hull cowl..There was a miss circus circus dumas hydro that was for sale on RCU.. It was converted to gas.. looked great too.
Misshydro, why dont you buy one and make a gas boat out of it to show how you would do it? I myself prefer to build a boat to meet my requirements, be it gas or nitro. Modding a boat designed for nitro isn't really the best way to go in my opinion.

Misshydro, why dont you buy one and make a gas boat out of it to show how you would do it? I myself prefer to build a boat to meet my requirements, be it gas or nitro. Modding a boat designed for nitro isn't really the best way to go in my opinion.
Dont care for that hull design...I would do this miss circus circus like this guy did..

What? You haven't started building yet? I think you'll find the Circus isn't well suited to that kind of conversion

Latest posts

Back