Scale k67

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey Rick..

I was going with the following prather 255, x457, x460...all normal props...just want to know if im in the ballpark as far as head clearance

Last edited by a moderator:
hey Rick..

I was going with the following prather 255, x457, x460...all normal props...just want to know if im in the ballpark as far as head clearance

I personally don't run my head clearance that tight.. .016" is where I try to be.

With all of my pipes I end up at 11-3/4" but if your boat is 15lbs the shorter pipe will prolly be fine.

ok..thats what I needed to know..ill back off the clearance a bit....just weighed the boat again..its a bit lighter than i thought...

thanks so much

hey Rick...

Don Ferrette has me workin on my old spirit (it was headed for the trash can), I actually liked his idea because it allows me to race the beginning of this season as well...

new boat is still on the jig

I'll let you know how it goes

Hey Len,

Headed for the Trash Can ??? Didn't you only have one test under it's belt? Cowl was recovered, a new set of tail feathers and you'll be ready to go. First club race in a couple week - if you have enough water @ Lake Minden and don't have to call it "Mud Bowl". Get some experience under your belt.

If you have problems launching, I'm thinking pull the pipe out a bit, rather than trying it as short as it is. Usually a15# boat & short pipe don't work well together. Get that puppy out there and Flog IT !!! Good Luck, CHEERS !!! Bob

What is considered a light 1/8 nitro scale and what is considered heavy? Thanks.

boat was run a handful of times (5 if i recall correctly)...had some issues, which have been addressed (cowl was under water...LOL) and put back together

checked turnfin alignment and it's is toed in about a degree on the bracket, im going to run it like that see if it helps in the turns, i'm making some shims so i can change it at pond...

you guys have a preference on turnfin alignment?

Clamp a straight edge to the bottom and measure off of that. Is your fin hooked or straight?

hey Sam...

its a tyndall fin, I put a mark on the rear tiplets (perfect alignment checker...haha) that show parallel setting and go from there...

I set a yard stick on the inside edge of the fin going toward the transom, the straight edge goes out about 1/4" (fin pointed toward middle of boat)

11-12lbs is light, 13-14lbs. average, anything over 14 lbs. is starting to get heavy and affecting performance.
I'll disagree with that one Mike, I've had scales over 14 lbs that handled great and were plenty fast, all depends on the boat and the set up.
default_wink.png

hey Sam...

its a tyndall fin, I put a mark on the rear tiplets (perfect alignment checker...haha) that show parallel setting and go from there...

I set a yard stick on the inside edge of the fin going toward the transom, the straight edge goes out about 1/4" (fin pointed toward middle of boat)
I was told to align the fin with the angle of the rear strut. If you have 1* strut pointed to the left sponson set your turn fin to that angle to not counter act it. But my fin is straight and not angled.

Hey Len,

The tip muffler on Bob's SP21 looks like an old Prather - no longer produced. Try Lenny Blake's www.rumracingproducts.com I think you'll like them.

Did you find any water to get the U-50 wet yesterday?? Rick and I are ready for a "Sea Story". CHEERS !!! Bob

I'm not saying that a 14lb. boat won't turn or be fast. The way we race out in the PNW is that the starts are just a crawl. Almost every heat it is a dogfight for lane 1 and being able to troll for 1/2 a lap with the motor barely above idle and come out the hole like a dragster is a lot more difficult with a heavier boat. Very, very few races are ever won in UNW or RCU by anyone driving around another boat from the outside. You let Kirk Maupin, John Hruby, Adam Putich or Dave Brandt get lane one and it's pretty much a done deal.

Can't argue with Mike about that one, those guys set up their boats to be fast and the carbs to let them crawl. Let any of those guys in lane two and you will still have a fight on you hands with the speed they can get up to before hitting the entrance pin

Back